List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think we were actually quite smart in the end. We got in early and fixed our salary cap issues going forward. Most clubs are now bulging at the seems due to loading up this year which means that there will be more than a few clubs having Fire sales over the next few years and we will be waiting for them to land in our lap, it was still terrible that the club allowed itself to get into the trouble that they were in to begin with, so at least they did salvage a little bit in the end

Why are other clubs bulging at the seams exactly? Other clubs like Richmond Geelong ect seem to have NO problems managing their salary caps... in fact they're regularly able to bring in STAR players after winning or making grand finals...?

So it was quite smart to spend 3 first rounders on Treloar / Stephenson, then give them away for s**t all AND have to pay significant portions of their salaries over the next 5 years? That's quite smart to you?

You can. Kelly looks like he has the tools. We just have to wait to see if he has the game sense and his body holds up. Fingers crossed.

Sucked for him he had 2 very Injury Interrupted Seasons so far

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
Dave, we have nothing to show for 5 years of first rounders + busts in the 12, 13 drafts in the first round. Regardless of reasons why, they were busts.

Have completely failed to draft/develop a KPF.

Kelly was a father son, Quaynor an academy pick.

The club has done well with some later picks and rookie selections, but given the picks we have had since 2012 we should be in a stronger position list wise.

It is what it is, it’s in the past now.
Quaynor was a first round selection, whichever way you want to slice or dice it

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why are other clubs bulging at the seams exactly? Other clubs like Richmond Geelong ect seem to have NO problems managing their salary caps... in fact they're regularly able to bring in STAR players after winning or making grand finals...?

So it was quite smart to spend 3 first rounders on Treloar / Stephenson, then give them away for sh*t all AND have to pay significant portions of their salaries over the next 5 years? That's quite smart to you?

Wait till next year and the year after and you'll see why their turn is coming. Why do you think Geelong took 3 players over 30yo on short term contracts?, they are going all in for the next 2 years, how are they going to resign all their younger players and existing players while their salary cap is bulging? There are 2 salary cap reductions coming this year and next and no other club has been bold enough to do it now. So what if we are paying some of treloars salary, you think we are the only club doing that? treloar wasn't worth a pinch of s**t and stepho will have a good year this year then end up in some sort of s**t and we are not paying part of his salary, hope that helps clear it up for you but it wouldn't matter because you seem to be miserable prick either wasy

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wait till next year and the year after and you'll see why their turn is coming. Why do you think Geelong took 3 players over 30yo on short term contracts?, they are going all in for the next 2 years, how are they going to resign all their younger players and existing players while their salary cap is bulging? There are 2 salary cap reductions coming this year and next and no other club has been bold enough to do it now. So what if we are paying some of treloars salary, you think we are the only club doing that? treloar wasn't worth a pinch of sh*t and stepho will have a good year this year then end up in some sort of sh*t and we are not paying part of his salary, hope that helps clear it up for you but it wouldn't matter because you seem to be miserable prick either wasy

Good to see there are still a few people who drank the Eddie Mcguire koolaid. The club can do no wrong, all heil Eddie am i right?

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good to see there are still a few people who drank the Eddie Mcguire koolaid. The club can do no wrong, all heil Eddie am i right?

I can't wait to see the back of eddie, not sure where your getting that from. you don't drink any coolaid from the club anyway, everything they do you are going to winge about it, at least i have the ability to see the good and the bad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't wait to see the back of eddie, not sure where your getting that from. you don't drink any coolaid from the club anyway, everything they do you are going to winge about it, at least i have the ability to see the good and the bad

I have seen plenty of good, and even posted about it. Maybe you're the one who can't see the good and the bad?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would not call Stephenson expendable as he was our Best Prospect for the Future

Well he was looking like that prior to the betting scandal in 2019. All seemed to go to s**t after that though. That is off course very much an outside looking in view. I'm mildly curious as to why he was targeted for a trade but the fact he was says quite a bit about how he was rated internally.

pies 4 ever

Senior List
Jan 18, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well he was looking like that prior to the betting scandal in 2019. All seemed to go to sh*t after that though. That is off course very much an outside looking in view. I'm mildly curious as to why he was targeted for a trade but the fact he was says quite a bit about how he was rated internally.
We will all be watching how he reacts to opposition players, that saw him s**t himself with the ball in 2020, and will now want to test him out.
Interesting to see how Maynard acts toward him. I don't mean by doing anything outside the rules, just how Stevo & Muzza react.

pies 4 ever

Senior List
Jan 18, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
yep, and we gave up 2 x top ten picks to get Treloar in the first place. Give him and Stepho away for pick 14 as well as paying a large chunk of money every year for Treloar. Brilliant trading.
Few have mentioned that the key to our Treloar disaster was the inability of Dogs and Dons to get the trade done for Dunkley. Dodoro confirmed that we were to have been part of that. The deal would have seen Adz to the Dogs with us getting a first from Dons and Dunkley to the Dons, +/- an exchange of other picks.
Shame that this was never completed as it would have made our trade period so much better.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We will all be watching how he reacts to opposition players, that saw him sh*t himself with the ball in 2020, and will now want to test him out.
Interesting to see how Maynard acts toward him. I don't mean by doing anything outside the rules, just how Stevo & Muzza react.

Yeah, I'm not sure that his on-field behaviours in 2020 are a true reflection on the kid and the way he plays, more a demonstration his head wasn't in the game. I'd also be surprised if they were the primary reason for his departure. While he'll never be a wrecking ball type, his performances in 2018 and early 2019 showed he was more than his 2020 performances. Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I'm not sure that his on-field behaviours in 2020 are a true reflection on the kid and the way he plays, more a demonstration his head wasn't in the game. I'd also be surprised if they were the primary reason for his departure. While he'll never be a wrecking ball type, his performances in 2018 and early 2019 showed he was more than his 2020 performances. Time will tell.
Is his mate now on the north Melbourne board rolling around likea pig in s**t ?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I just want to see more than a half of football before labeling him our next KPP star

I’ve got you on this one. Which of his 4 possessions other than the goal gave people the vibes? Buckley’s comments didn’t help the situation. Way to raw to be talking up...

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Wait till next year and the year after and you'll see why their turn is coming. Why do you think Geelong took 3 players over 30yo on short term contracts?, they are going all in for the next 2 years, how are they going to resign all their younger players and existing players while their salary cap is bulging? There are 2 salary cap reductions coming this year and next and no other club has been bold enough to do it now. So what if we are paying some of treloars salary, you think we are the only club doing that? treloar wasn't worth a pinch of sh*t and stepho will have a good year this year then end up in some sort of sh*t and we are not paying part of his salary, hope that helps clear it up for you but it wouldn't matter because you seem to be miserable prick either wasy

All the well run clubs (WC, Rich, Geel etc.) will be fine because they have the same connections as Ed. St Kilda though are in for a world of hurt post 2021 once King breaks out and with Hannebery and Hill on horribly bloated contracts. The Bulldogs are the other club, but they’ll be fine once Dunkley leaves. Don’t for a second confuse Ed’s msg for what it was though, pure misdirection.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I’ve got you on this one. Which of his 4 possessions other than the goal gave people the vibes? Buckley’s comments didn’t help the situation. Way to raw to be talking up...
The goal was nice but even that doesn’t fill me with promise. Would have preferred a goal from a set shot after taking a contested mark or making a smart lead.

The goal was nice but even that doesn’t fill me with promise. Would have preferred a goal from a set shot after taking a contested mark or making a smart lead.

It's easy to see why we're on his bandwagon as a KPF:

A junior career as a defender.
No VFL form due to injuries in his first year and covid in his second year.
A senior game with 5 possessions.

A few goals in a couple of 14 a side scratch matches that noone saw - it doesn't seem much to be basing any hype on. Having said that he did look like he had the tools, but jeez we're desperate for a KPF if we're getting excited about him at this stage.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

A few goals in a couple of 14 a side scratch matches that noone saw - it doesn't seem much to be basing any hype on. Having said that he did look like he had the tools, but jeez we're desperate for a KPF if we're getting excited about him at this stage.
I guess at this point we just haven’t had the opportunities to see the negatives yet.

My biggest concern is his height, he looked as tall as Jackson Paine to me.

I guess at this point we just haven’t had the opportunities to see the negatives yet.

My biggest concern is his height, he looked as tall as Jackson Paine to me.

Kelly is around 196-197cm where Paine was 192cm same size as Miocheck

It is early early days but he did move well that game, got to some good spots although is hard to call that on TV. Guarded optimism but like all our players from last 3 drafts excepting IQ we don’t know who will make the grade

It is early early days but he did move well that game, got to some good spots although is hard to call that on TV. Guarded optimism but like all our players from last 3 drafts excepting IQ we don’t know who will make the grade

Considered he played less then 5 Games in the last 2 Years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back