List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why you’re referring to Cox as just an athlete. He’s one of the best dual sided players I’ve seen come through at that height. Like, Sam Mitchell level dual sided. And he knows how to play, his dad played AFL, he’s been brought up on the game. The fact that he’s also a freak athlete for his height is just a bonus.
Shannon Cox’s son?

Yeah, I'm not sure that his on-field behaviours in 2020 are a true reflection on the kid and the way he plays, more a demonstration his head wasn't in the game. I'd also be surprised if they were the primary reason for his departure. While he'll never be a wrecking ball type, his performances in 2018 and early 2019 showed he was more than his 2020 performances. Time will tell.
What was his excuse in 2019? Was lucky to only get suspended for the remaining season. I said at the time he should have copped a lot more based on those bets.

Stephenson became a huge risk. A risk possibly worth taking if he was on $300k, but a very bad risk if he was being paid $500k-$600k x 5 years.

I think the end of 2021 will be interesting to get an idea whether obtaining cap relief and loading up on draft picks was planned for free agency. There are some great players on offer and if this allows the club to have a genuine crack at it, well it may be prove to be a very shrewd 2020 draft period

I think the end of 2021 will be interesting to get an idea whether obtaining cap relief and loading up on draft picks was planned for free agency. There are some great players on offer and if this allows the club to have a genuine crack at it, well it may be prove to be a very shrewd 2020 draft period
I'm frankly somewhat concerned that getting cap space ultimately won't lead to much in the way of good recruitment, because end of 2022 we have Moore, JDG and Maynard as restricted free agents, as well as Daicos, Kelly, Keane, Quaynor and all the 2020 draftees (not to mention other depth players like the Brown boys) out of contract as well.

I'm frankly somewhat concerned that getting cap space ultimately won't lead to much in the way of good recruitment, because end of 2022 we have Moore, JDG and Maynard as restricted free agents, as well as Daicos, Kelly, Keane, Quaynor and all the 2020 draftees (not to mention other depth players like the Brown boys) out of contract as well.
This is an ongoing challenge all clubs face.
But are you saying all those players will be on mega contracts?

Can you imagine the position we would have been in if we still had Treloar’s backended contract and Stephenson’s contract still on our books?

I don’t think it’s an issue signing those guys up at all. Cap increases, and reduced contracts for the likes of Pendles and Sidebottom.
The only concern is if we haven’t learned our lesson and we overpay.

Every club faces the same issues. Realistically, if sufficient numbers of the players we already have require significant contract upgrades then do we need to bring in a high paid FA? Lets see what 2021 brings before we worry too much.

Every club faces the same issues. Realistically, if sufficient numbers of the players we already have require significant contract upgrades then do we need to bring in a high paid FA? Lets see what 2021 brings before we worry too much.
More than most years this holds true for Collingwood in 2021. We have many more variables to consider than is usual

Pendles would only be 50:50 to still go around in 2022. Likely to be in the oldest 3 players in the comp by next year.
De Goey may or may not be on the list depending how his case goes
If we struggle on field combined with the unrest of the 2020 off season we would not be a favourable FA destination, we have seen an open cheque book doesnt get that done
We have taken on a high risk medium reward path given our cap issues and in 12 months will have some idea whether the large group of untried talent at the group will be players. At the moment , given we dont have any high end draft picks and most of these kids havent played any footy for 12 months or only played at low levels we have less idea than usual about this crop. Pre season intraclubs give no real guide to how good or not these kids are.

I doubt signing the likes of Daicos, Kelly, Keane and Quaynor will prove an issue. I hope they need a significant payrise, if they dont they wont have had great 2021's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More than most years this holds true for Collingwood in 2021. We have many more variables to consider than is usual

Pendles would only be 50:50 to still go around in 2022. Likely to be in the oldest 3 players in the comp by next year.
De Goey may or may not be on the list depending how his case goes
If we struggle on field combined with the unrest of the 2020 off season we would not be a favourable FA destination, we have seen an open cheque book doesnt get that done
We have taken on a high risk medium reward path given our cap issues and in 12 months will have some idea whether the large group of untried talent at the group will be players. At the moment , given we dont have any high end draft picks and most of these kids havent played any footy for 12 months or only played at low levels we have less idea than usual about this crop. Pre season intraclubs give no real guide to how good or not these kids are.

I doubt signing the likes of Daicos, Kelly, Keane and Quaynor will prove an issue. I hope they need a significant payrise, if they dont they wont have had great 2021's.
Hoping we pull a doggies of 2016 out of the bag

Hoping we pull a doggies of 2016 out of the bag
Who is the 2016 Dog. Naughton 2017 draft would be the get from there or Bont as FA but I think they are on the move and unlikely either of them would leave now

Was a great insight and good to watch...but 14hrs of pasta making was probably overkill

Awesome to have so many new faces at the club to reinvigorate it and they all look like they have size and talent

Loved watching Fin balk Sidey

With an Italian background I was horrified to watch how they made pasta.....unforgivable!!

The Dogs comparison that suits us best is how our list is shaping to be like there’s was between 2017-2019... all midfielders and run, at the expense of KPP talent and depth (except developing English and Naughton)

Dogs are better now that they have picked up JUH and Bruce and Martin as depth... but for those years they’d get the ball inside 50 over 50 times a game, but struggled to score as they had no decent tall targets to hit

That was our struggle last year, and it will continue to be going forward. We’ve overlooked the Riccardi, Branders and Georgiades in favour of ex basketballers and Irishmen.

2020 draft we rightly invested in small forwards like McReery and Ginnivan, but overall we’ve just gone with sub 190cm players again with the exception of McMahon who will take time. (Reef is over 190cm but he is destined for the midfield)

Whilst we are relatively good at developing talent... the lack of a proper full forward until McMahon develops is an indictment.

Was a great insight and good to watch...but 14hrs of pasta making was probably overkill

Awesome to have so many new faces at the club to reinvigorate it and they all look like they have size and talent

Loved watching Fin balk Sidey
I just wanted to jump in there and tell them "don't cook the pasta until the sauce is simmering". Rookies...

The Dogs comparison that suits us best is how our list is shaping to be like there’s was between 2017-2019... all midfielders and run, at the expense of KPP talent and depth (except developing English and Naughton)

Dogs are better now that they have picked up JUH and Bruce and Martin as depth... but for those years they’d get the ball inside 50 over 50 times a game, but struggled to score as they had no decent tall targets to hit

That was our struggle last year, and it will continue to be going forward. We’ve overlooked the Riccardi, Branders and Georgiades in favour of ex basketballers and Irishmen.

2020 draft we rightly invested in small forwards like McReery and Ginnivan, but overall we’ve just gone with sub 190cm players again with the exception of McMahon who will take time. (Reef is over 190cm but he is destined for the midfield)

Whilst we are relatively good at developing talent... the lack of a proper full forward until McMahon develops is an indictment.
We didn’t overlook Georgiades, he was selected almost a full round before our first pick. We were supposedly right in to him.

We didn’t overlook Georgiades, he was selected almost a full round before our first pick. We were supposedly right in to him.

With a pick we traded to Brisbane as part of the Beams trade.

Correct. But they made the choice to trade out that 2019 pick for another midfielder in Beams, rather than take it to the draft and target a KPF like Georgiades. That’s my context.

Once it became apparent to them in around 2018 that they wanted to primarily play Darcy Moore as a defender... they should’ve searched for their McMahon type then... not leave it as late as the 2020 draft.

Cause we all know it’s harder to find a decent 2 goal a game KPF... than a decent 20 touches a game midfielder

Edit: even this year with taking Chugg with our last rookie pick. Whilst looks like he will play senior footy at some stage... outside of the incumbents in Maynard and Quaynor... we already have several options in that rebounding defender role... Noble, Bianco... even reinventing a decent run and kick player in WHE

But we take surplus to requirement Chugg and pass up on Callow or a Toby Wooller etc.

Last edited:
Correct. But they made the choice to trade out that 2019 pick for another midfielder in Beams, rather than take it to the draft and target a KPF like Georgiades. That’s my context.

Once it became apparent to them in around 2018 that they wanted to primarily play Darcy Moore as a defender... they should’ve searched for their McMahon type then... not leave it as late as the 2020 draft.

Cause we all know it’s harder to find a decent 2 goal a game KPF... than a decent 20 touches a game midfielder
Not sure but I think there was a rumour at the time that we were trying to trade back into that draft but no takers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back