Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
So when we get pick 2 I think we should take TT and Hollands.
So, on SEN this morning they claim Crows & Saints have struck a deal to hopefully result in Crows getting Pick 2 for Crouch. They were going to pay BC $550,000, but have bumped it to over $700,000. Saints get Crouch + late draft choices. Crows take two Saints players(reportedly Luke Dunstan & Jimmy Webster) which gives the Saints the salary cap relief they would need to pay Crouch the increased salary. Luke Dunstan is a mid who's played 103 games, is 25 & originally played for the Eagles in SA. Webster is a defender who's played 93 games & is 27. If this is true I would like to hear my fellow posters opinions on this. Does it mean that Crows will delist at least a further 2 players or by giving those late draft picks(doesn't say how many) will they not need to. Surely it would only be max of 2 late picks that crows would give to Saints. I await your thoughts - oh, or do we think that the AFL won't play ball due to their ability to "massage" the formula for compensation.

So, on SEN this morning they claim Crows & Saints have struck a deal to hopefully result in Crows getting Pick 2 for Crouch. They were going to pay BC $550,000, but have bumped it to over $700,000. Saints get Crouch + late draft choices. Crows take two Saints players(reportedly Luke Dunstan & Jimmy Webster) which gives the Saints the salary cap relief they would need to pay Crouch the increased salary. Luke Dunstan is a mid who's played 103 games, is 25 & originally played for the Eagles in SA. Webster is a defender who's played 93 games & is 27. If this is true I would like to hear my fellow posters opinions on this. Does it mean that Crows will delist at least a further 2 players or by giving those late draft picks(doesn't say how many) will they not need to. Surely it would only be max of 2 late picks that crows would give to Saints. I await your thoughts - oh, or do we think that the AFL won't play ball due to their ability to "massage" the formula for compensation.
This implies that crouch agreed to move for less than he's on now

I just don't think it passes the sniff test, and I think the AFL 'leaked' that memo yesterday as they want teams to know that artificially propping up a players wage to try achieve Band 1 compensation doesn't necessarily mean they'll get it.

Unless you're GWS/GC, or a Victorian club...

Crouch needs to sack his manager if all he could get is less than he is on now and was asking north of $800k and is last years B/F. SEN is a sh-t show.
Haha!! I agree about SEN - I tried to listen but the amount of ads is staggering. I got that info off their website. Regarding Crouch's salary, he only has himself to blame, not his manager, as he devalued himself & also he knows he has to go this year as Crows don't want him, not to do with his ability but his mental state after all that's happened. Any club is crazy to keep a player who has shown their mind is elsewhere.

I just don't think it passes the sniff test, and I think the AFL 'leaked' that memo yesterday as they want teams to know that artificially propping up a players wage to try achieve Band 1 compensation doesn't necessarily mean they'll get it.

Cynical, but sadly you may be right.

Could do worse than Dunstan. Prime of his career with 100 games under his belt. Not fast but finds the ball and uses ok. Former SA U/18 captain right? No idea why we'd bring Webster in and don't know much of him.

Crocker and Dmac and likely Poholke gone if this is true.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Crocker's on the rookie list. He's irrelevant to the equation.

Mackay is more likely to survive than Gallucci or Poholke, but there's a strong chance that all 3 are delisted.

Could do worse than Dunstan. Prime of his career with 100 games under his belt. Not fast but finds the ball and uses ok. Former SA U/18 captain right? No idea why we'd bring Webster in and don't know much of him.

Crocker and Dmac and likely Poholke gone if this is true.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

it would be nice to have a left footer taking the kick outs and off half back who can (1) hit a target and (2) move the ball across the ball quickly across the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha!! I agree about SEN - I tried to listen but the amount of ads is staggering. I got that info off their website. Regarding Crouch's salary, he only has himself to blame, not his manager, as he devalued himself & also he knows he has to go this year as Crows don't want him, not to do with his ability but his mental state after all that's happened. Any club is crazy to keep a player who has shown their mind is elsewhere.
How can you possibly know his mental state or that the Crows don't want him? You state it like it's fact.

How can you possibly know his mental state or that the Crows don't want him? You state it like it's fact.
E
Definitely not fact - 90% of what we post here are opinions, commentary, musings etc(including your contributions). With B Crouch, it's commonsense business principles at play here - it's simple risk management. The major factor(sticking point) surely is his desire for a 5 year deal with a less than ideal injury history.

Yes. I can really sniff an almighty cockup here. The public announcement of this is really going to bait the AFL, and this is actually a legitimate excuse IMO for them not to grant Band 1. This should all have been done in utmost secrecy. The almighty cockup will be when the $700K contract is tabled and the AFL announce band 2: then we or Saints are stuffed.

Situation 1: We go quietly with pick 19 and honour our promise, taking the two spuds with list spots - a really great outcome!
Situation 2: We go quietly with pick 19, and then refuse to take the spuds - Saints then have to pay the higher salary without the ability to do so.

Great!

That email could have been directed at Essendon or GWS.
Not GWS, they are owned by the AFL.

I get the feeling there's a lot of unrest about the sheer number of NGAs, particularly highly ranked ones and a plethora of compo picks further distorts the draft. Think the AFL will tighten up the formula this year, use their discretionary powerto alter outcomes. Too much agro from the influencial clubs for us to get pick 2, particularly we're now seen to be manipulating the outcome with trading in Saint Kilda spuds.

Get ready to be disappointed, Brad however will be very happy with the bigger pay packet

Yes. I can really sniff an almighty cockup here. The public announcement of this is really going to bait the AFL, and this is actually a legitimate excuse IMO for them not to grant Band 1. This should all have been done in utmost secrecy. The almighty cockup will be when the $700K contract is tabled and the AFL announce band 2: then we or Saints are stuffed.

Situation 1: We go quietly with pick 19 and honour our promise, taking the two spuds with list spots - a really great outcome!
Situation 2: We go quietly with pick 19, and then refuse to take the spuds - Saints then have to pay the higher salary without the ability to do so.

Great!
I feel Saint Kilda should have independently moved those players to other clubs. Then there is no hint of impropriety. We should have said to them that we are matching unless they raise their offer. Then they have two choices. Trade with us or trade out some players to other clubs and raise there offer if they want to keep their picks. How they go about raising the offer is their business and can't involve us. I feel they never really wanted to pay brad the amount that met tier 1 compo as he isn't worth it and it would be hard to sell too their board. The other part is that there is no guarantee that a raised offer will be tier 1 anyway. In hindsight we should have traded brad last year. I feel you will see a lot more players traded out a year prior to free agency. The other option is that the AFL fixes free agency to make the acquiring club pay for the free agent instead of the rest of the league paying for it.

Last edited:
I feel Saint Kilda should have independently moved those players to other clubs. Then there is no hint of impropriety. We should have said to them that we are matching unless they raise their offer. Then they have two choices. Trade with us or trade out some players to other clubs and raise there offer if they want to keep their picks. How they go about raising the offer is their business and can't involve us. I feel they never really wanted to pay brad the amount that meet tier 1 compo as he isn't worth it and it would be hard to sell too their board. The other part is that there is no guarantee that a raised offer will be tier 1 anyway. In hindsight we should have traded brad last year. I feel you will see a lot more of players being traded out a year prior to free agency. The other option is that the AFL fixes free agency to make the acquiring club pay for the free agent instead of the rest of the league.
I thought this originally, but not all clubs would be happy to take a salary dump even if it only cost them a cheap pick.

I thought this originally, but not all clubs would be happy to take a salary dump even if it only cost them a cheap pick.
To avoid this should they get Dunstan or whoever manager go to the press and say "Make me a Crow". That will make it look legitimate

To avoid this should they get Dunstan or whoever manager go to the press and say "Make me a Crow". That will make it look legitimate

Would rather have Luke Dunstan any day, before Jones, Mchenry, Poholke, Davis, Crocker and Gallucci. At least Dunstan can find the ball and gives 110% every game. Also the Crows should have the cap space with all the youngsters on their list.

Has someone discussed this at all with Dunstan ? .....If I felt I was being used as a pawn in the Crouch trade, I'd say **** you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back