Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Not arguable the best Mid in the draft, and one who can play forward. Holland will not last past pick 4. he will go before Thilthorpe,
Most of the Other top mids are small around the 180 size, Or aligned to other clubs thru the NGA ( Jones and Davies) unless your think about Perkins
The Crows currently have a few small mids some would say too many, (M Crouch, Liard, Jones, Mchenry, Sloane, Schoenberg) and I do not see a Rowell or anyone close to his ability in this draft. Our taller mids consist of Brad at 186 and 2 untried mids in O'conner and Gollant.

The Crows are better suited today in the tall area than they are in big-bodied Midfielder.
Yes pick the best talent but when you believe they're not much separating them you go for needs,
Too much emphasis on size here, mids that win their own footy with acceleration from the contest, good decision making and reasonably good ball use should all come before size unless they're lightweights. I think you're also overlooking mids with the versatility to play other roles.

Whether people like him or not the best performed pure mid in this draft is Will Phillips but some others have him on the score of versatility I think.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
He a Stand because there is no competition coming from Victoria, Due to COVID the one State who dominate the Top 10 in Drafts,
The Crows need Ball winners, and we have a chance to get one, in this draft, there are tall Forwards at pick 8, However, I doubt we will pick one.
We need Ball winners and some bigger Bodied ones.
Disagree, Victoria dominate top ten per Capita but there’s always inclusions from the other football States. This isn’t a one off, oh Vic are the hidden quantity when it comes to key forwards like McDonald.
I like Cox for pick 8. Does that rustle the Jimmies?
Mids after that. X

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who are we paying the big $ to? We should have heaps in the cap to prise out players like Daicos with seriously more money than Pies can afford.
End of 2021 our cap will be much healthier(and even better end of 2022) but we could back end some deals. Agree we could pry him out of Collingwood. Players these days care more about getting paid their value than carrying on their dads legacy. Collingwood likely using that to try and undercut him.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
End of 2021 our cap will be much healthier(and even better end of 2022) but we could back end some deals. Agree we could pry him out of Collingwood. Players these days care more about getting paid their value than carrying on their dads legacy. Collingwood likely using that to try and undercut him.
Our cap ahould be in good shape now

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are not better suited in the tall area as Tex and Lynch are waning big time.
He is the best Forward/mid, love him, fantastic tricks. Not a pure mid. Predominantly forward with occasional spurts in the mid.
If you approach it the right way without shiny eyes you’d understand that Hollands isn’t a big bodied mid.
what makes you say this? seriously most people on here think its hollands not mcdonald look at the poll

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Provide we don't "spread" the salary cap anymore, this doesn't work anymore with FA introduced with even Geelong scaping this with Dangerfield earning over $1M now.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Too much emphasis on size here, mids that win their own footy with acceleration from the contest, good decision making and reasonably good ball use should all come before size unless they're lightweights. I think you're also overlooking mids with the versatility to play other roles.

Whether people like him or not the best performed pure mid in this draft is Will Phillips but some others have him on the score of versatility I think.

Will Philip will be good but he not a number 1 draft pick for the Crows, He, not Rowell, Crows currently have a full list of Small Midfielders,
M Crouch, Liard, Jones, McHenry, Schoenburg, Sloane, and we are constantly getting outmuscled, Bringing in another one will not help us,
We need some Muscle in the midfield some protections for these Kids, Will Philips would get smashed in or Midfield,
Crow need bigger bodies in the middle to complement our current crop of smaller mids, they need Midfielder who can take the ball and Run, Play one on one in the Forward line and become a threat,
We need a Dangerfield, Martian, Fyfe, Bont, Pendlebury, Get one of these or a couple of Bigger Mids and we will see Jones, McHenry and Shoenburg reach their full potential, and turn into A grade Mids.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
what makes you say this? seriously most people on here think its hollands not mcdonald look at the poll
What, an internet poll? look at the votes, Ive voted Hollands. I have garnered through listening to coaches interviews that the high end of this draft is key forwards and unless they are foxing I’m thinking they will take a tall seeing Tex is cooked. Great draft pundits here say mids next year are going to be stacked early so it’s just putting 2 and 2 together.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Disagree, Victoria dominate top ten per Capita but there’s always inclusions from the other football States. This isn’t a one off, oh Vic are the hidden quantity when it comes to key forwards like McDonald.
I like Cox for pick 8. Does that rustle the Jimmies?
Mids after that. X
Yes, there always inclusions, but this year there no big story coming out of Victoria, and I will stand by my comment,
In a Normal Year, while McDonald would have been the 2nd best tall, he would not have been in the top 5 in the Draft.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
What, an internet poll? look at the votes, Ive voted Hollands. I have garnered through listening to coaches interviews that the high end of this draft is key forwards and unless they are foxing I’m thinking they will take a tall seeing Tex is cooked. Great draft pundits here say mids next year are going to be stacked early so it’s just putting 2 and 2 together.
the people on here have more clue than advertiser poll. hopefully we get the two picks and they can take who they want.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thilthorpe was projected to go top 5 in this year's draft after McDonald but given his recent injuries he could possibly slide to pick 8 but North, Hawks and Fremantle need a key forward and one of them will pick McDonald.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Will Philip will be good but he not a number 1 draft pick for the Crows, He, not Rowell, Crows currently have a full list of Small Midfielders,
M Crouch, Liard, Jones, McHenry, Schoenburg, Sloane, and we are constantly getting outmuscled, Bringing in another one will not help us,
We need some Muscle in the midfield some protections for these Kids, Will Philips would get smashed in or Midfield,
Crow need bigger bodies in the middle to complement our current crop of smaller mids, they need Midfielder who can take the ball and Run, Play one on one in the Forward line and become a threat,
We need a Dangerfield, Martian, Fyfe, Bont, Pendlebury, Get one of these or a couple of Bigger Mids and we will see Jones, McHenry and Shoenburg reach their full potential, and turn into A grade Mids.
Rubbish, Will Phillips will absolutely not get smashed in ANY midfield, he's as strong and hard as nails as Matt Rowell in that area of his game and Rowell handled it with aplomb.
Have you even seen Will Phillips play because if that's your thinking you're miles off.

I wouldn't be taking Phillips with pick 1 but if he's still there at pick 8 (he won't be) we'd be foolish not to pounce.

Who just won the AFLCA's MVP and who's odds on to take out the Brownlow?

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yes, there always inclusions, but this year there no big story coming out of Victoria
Hollands, Phillips, Cox etc etc they are still bandied around as way more than 50% of the scouting has been in that state for this yrs alumni. And they’ve been followed for the a few yrs. cmon.
In a Normal Year, while McDonald would have been the 2nd best tall, he would not have been in the top 5 in the Draft.
I’d argue he’s the best tall for starters. You don’t know that though. It’s just an exclamation.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Rubbish, Will Phillips will absolutely not get smashed in ANY midfield, he's as strong and hard as nails as Matt Rowell in that area of his game and he handled it with aplomb.
Have you even seen Will Phillips play because if that's your thinking you're miles off.

I wouldn't be taking Phillips with pick 1 but if he's still there at pick 8 (he won't be) we'd be foolish not to pounce.

never seen him live, But still don't rate him as the number 1 draft pick. do you rate him as the number 1 draft pick.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
the people on here have more clue than advertiser poll. hopefully we get the two picks and they can take who they want.
Sure of course more clue but we’ve all listened to the coaches sound grabs haven’t we?

Thilthorpe was projected to go top 5 in this year's draft after McDonald but given his recent injuries he could possibly slide to pick 8 but North, Hawks and Fremantle need a key forward and one of them will pick McDonald.
One of them might not as it might be us.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
never seen him live, But still don't rate him as the number 1 draft pick. do you rate him as the number 1 draft pick.
Didn't I just say I wouldn't take him with pick 1 in the post you quoted?

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rubbish, Will Phillips will absolutely not get smashed in ANY midfield, he's as strong and hard as nails as Matt Rowell in that area of his game and Rowell handled it with aplomb.

He'll be gone by 8 too with one of essendons two picks (for daniher)

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Hollands, Phillips, Cox etc etc they are still bandied around as way more than 50% of the scouting has been in that state for this yrs alumni. And they’ve been followed for the a few yrs. cmon.

I’d argue he’s the best tall for starters. You don’t know that though. It’s just an exclamation.

Mate in a year without COVID, Philips, Henry, Bruhn, Maybe even Reid would have been rated higher.

Also Jamarra Ugle-Hagen the Best tall in this Draft.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Didn't I just say I wouldn't take him with pick 1 in the post you quoted?
Why he no Rowell, Yea I believe he Good but without playing much I don't believe he go before pick 5
In a COVID free year, I would have rated him Higher, But based on 2029 I rate Hollands way Higher. Plus Hollands is the type of Player the Crows need.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mate in a year without COVID, Philips, Henry, Bruhn, Maybe even Reid would have been rated higher.

McDonald and Thilthorpe are playing in leagues against men. Discounting that is ******* ridiculous.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our cap ahould be in good shape now

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's getting healthier but will be really healthy in 12 months. We have Jenkins(still paying half his wage 2021), Gibbs(payout counted in 2021 cap), Walker, Lynch(free agent 2021), Smith(free agent 2021), Talia(free agent 2021), Seedsman, Laird(free agent 2021), MCrouch(free agent 2021) out of contract end of next year. Out of that list Laird, MCrouch, Smith, Talia are likely the only ones that will be recontracted but the club may also allow Smith and Talia to leave as free agents. Obviously we need to sign up Doedee, McAdam, O'Brien, Gollant, Worrell, Schoenberg, Keays, McPherson, Fogarty?(if he improves next year), McAsey?.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide

JUH kicking is a worry I wouldnt even bid with 1 or 2 just in case
Reid not for me either - the others yes would have been interesting to see

my fear with phillips is he admits he developed young, and could throw his weight around and rely on that. weve seen this before once they hit AFL level and its very different. i also dont think he is our needs. bruhn might be if still there with 8 or whatever it turns out to be 12-14 most likely after FA and NGA

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
aaaa
McDonald and Thilthorpe are playing in leagues against men. Discounting that is ******* ridiculous.
Yea I heard that all last year about Rowell and Aderson, not playing against men,
A lot of SA kid play SANFL and WAFL and Don't make it in the AFL, And never underestimate the TAC cup, one of the best comps if not the best outside the AFL for talent.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
check the actual players that played on mcdonald in those 7 wafl games. yes 7 games cos thats all we are talking about. 3-4 of the games he played on other 18-20yos who were also in league. 1 game he did do really well on a big body experienced defender. but the game he was against DGBarraa he got pantsed. im far from convinced. its not like this was a 22 game season in wafl league team and hes the main man.

TT slightly different from what i know had to cover ruck a fair bit cos the westies ruck went down with injury. didnt get chance to kick many goals when rucking before he then got injured.

theres no right answer normally we put up with the slops. as we had such a s**t year we all want to make sure they fet it right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back