Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:

Pick 8 seems right around the sweet spot for a Bruhn or ODriscoll?

Yep, I'm thinking we take a mid with this pick. Take Thilthorpe and Hollands then a mid with GWS pick.

Given the amount of talls expected to go early, the GWS pick will be at the real pointy end of mids selected.

Random hypothetical:
Say Freo finishes below Carlton
JUH is bid on at pick 2
Freo gets pick 8 (1551), which drops to 1286 points (pick 12)
If Carlton bids on Campbell and 2 other players, then takes their pick, it's now pick 12, does Freo get the next pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random hypothetical:
Say Freo finishes below Carlton
JUH is bid on at pick 2
Freo gets pick 8 (1551), which drops to 1286 points (pick 12)
If Carlton bids on Campbell and 2 other players, then takes their pick, it's now pick 12, does Freo get the next pick?
No, their pick is pushed back to 12 pre draft. Would be pushed back with the bids same as any other pick on draft night.

So if Freo lose by 2 goals more than Carlton then Freo drop below Carlton and then with the points deficit they swap back and we stay at pick 9?

Or are Freo going to be falling more than 1 spot?

They’ll fall more than one spot, I think it’s something like if they finish with pick 6 they go back to 9, pick 7 and they go back to 10

Time to start supporting Carlton and Freo to cause upsets this weekend. GWS percentage taken a big hit against the saints, could get that pick even lower yet.

Update: Freo probably doesn't matter because of points deficit right? I don't know how all that bit works.
Freo have about 200 points deficit from last year so they will drop down a spot
Freo went into 265 points deficit last year to match a bid on their Academy player in r1 of the draft and here are points from the draft picks points table:

#1-3000 . . #2-2517 . . #3-2234 . . #4-2034 . . #5-1878 . . #6-1751 . . #7-1644 . . #8-1551 . . #9-1469 . . #10-1395 . . #11-1329 . . #12-1268

The deficit is taken off their r1 pick as soon as the minor round is finished so if things stay as they are right now, they have pick #8 which has 1551^^ points, subtract 265 it leaves 1286, which is more than pick #12's points so Freo's pick #8 drops down to be #12 and the initial picks #9 to #12 each move up by 1 spot.

In a similar way, other position drops of Freo's r1 pick (if it's any of the following) are:

#5 - drops to #7
#6 - drops to #9
#7 - drops to #11
#8 - drops to #12
#9 - drops to #13

-------

At least that's how I think it works in a sensible way.

There are reports...
media writers and club recruiters of what seems to me like an odd rule.

Essentially, if Freo had pick #1, their deficit means their r1 pick goes from 3000 to 2735 points, which is more than pick #2's points.

But apparently there's an AFL rule that says because their adjusted pick points isn't enough for pick #1, it must become pick #2 (and the initial pick #2 becomes pick #1 !!!) regardless that it stiil has more points than pick #2. :think:

#1-3000 . . #2-2517 . . #3-2234

If this was applied to the other picks looked at above, it would mean Freo's pick drops by a further spot from what I've listed above.

Anyway, without being able to see the actual rules, can't know for sure how much Freo's pick will drop - will be interesting to see what happens.

How a little known clause could give Crows two top-five picks [www.afl.com.au]

Ed. ^^typo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back