Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take yourself back to 2018 and remember what their team needs and player retention issues were like though.

And that’s coming from arguably the biggest Rankine Homer there was in here. If I were them I would have still probably been more into the King Twins given their circumstances
You get 2 mates to go, including a 195cm bloke who can play almost anywhere on the field and runs like a flanker AND probably the most talented draftee in a very very long time.

Does the same job and as you say, they got one of the brothers anyway. They had so many holes on their list and they killed it.

You get 2 mates to go, including a 195cm bloke who can play almost anywhere on the field and runs like a flanker AND probably the most talented draftee in a very very long time.

Does the same job and as you say, they got one of the brothers anyway. They had so many holes on their list and they killed it.
Max King I think barring the knee would have gone pick 1 if his one and only game in his draft year from memory was an indicator, I know I had him lineball with Lukosius coming into the season but big guys and ACL's are a real worry. They took the other King without the ACL hanging over his head.

Max King I think barring the knee would have gone pick 1 if his one and only game in his draft year from memory was an indicator, I know I had him lineball with Lukosius coming into the season but big guys and ACL's are a real worry. They took the other King without the ACL hanging over his head.
you think so - only because it seems Carlton had Walsh lined up a long way out at their pick

I think they missed an opportunity.

They didn’t do badly in the slightest, but they could have set themselves up for the King Twins entire career up north is my point.

At this point there will now be speculation about all 3 of Rankine, Luko and King going home every offseason.

I.e. Rankine has only played 1 game for them and the talk is already about offering him big money. That will never stop IMO

I think they missed an opportunity.

They didn’t do badly in the slightest, but they could have set themselves up for the King Twins entire career up north is my point.

At this point there will now be speculation about all 3 of Rankine, Luko and King going home every offseason.

I.e. Rankine has only played 1 game for them and the talk in here and is already about offering him big money. That will never stop IMO
If you look at it like that, you could easily lose both brothers.

A lot harder to lose both then 1.

I put the probability of Ben playing his entire career at GC at less then 5%
Or St Kilda implode again and Max wants to join him ??

The risk is they've paid these kids huge sums of money they can't always afford.

But their circumstances were screaming for them. Horrible player retention (very difficult to split a pair of Twins for Vic clubs looking to lure them). Lost arguably their best 2 players CHB (May) and FF (Lynch). The King twins played CHB and FF.

Plus would there be a more marketable 2 players to draft for a team dying a slow death then a pair of 200cm Twins with the surname King?

And then they ended up taking 1 of them anyway.

I don’t know I just found it weird
They signed all three of their recruits within 6m.

Luko was going to be CHF, and Ben CHB. Rumor is they wanted the 3 SA boys to improve retention

Fair to say they it would have been hard to screw that one up. Even Melbourne would have drafted a couple of guns with those picks

They signed all three of their recruits within 6m.

Luko was going to be CHF, and Ben CHB. Rumor is they wanted the 3 SA boys to improve retention
It’s a perfectly ok strategy. But my point is the bond between 2 Lads who shared a womb might be a touch stronger then the bond between 3 guys who shared a state.

Which would make the job of VIC clubs trying to separate them down the track more difficult.

It’s a perfectly ok strategy. But my point is the bond between 2 Lads who shared a womb might be a touch stronger then the bond between 3 guys who shared a state.

Which would make the job of VIC clubs trying to separate them down the track more difficult.
Unless they are close and end up not bonding with the rest of the players because they keep to themselves. Then because both boys are away from Mun & Dad they both want to go home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot harder to lose both then 1.

I put the probability of Ben playing his entire career at GC at less then 5%
I think there’s a good chance they’ll all stay until FA or thereabouts. The AFL will be determined this group stick together now and grow the game there, too much money invested.

They’ll find ways to remunerate them all at higher rate, talk them into a flag tilt. They’ll only be 25/26 at FA, can go home then.

No surprise that all of King, Luko, Rankine and Rowell were all offered nice fat extensions which they all gobbled up.

If Brad Crouch wins another club champion award in the form he's in our list is in diabolical trouble.

His value is on his current form and right now its very average at best.

I'd rather pony up 1 mill for an elite mid than pay B Crouch 650k for what he's dishing up.
BCrouch will be lucky to get any deal over$500K. He should have tried last season. Not many midfields he would get into.

True, but they now only have to contend with the SA clubs trying to get them back, and let's be honest, that really just leaves the Pauer!

Unless they are close and end up not bonding with the rest of the players because they keep to themselves. Then because both boys are away from Mun & Dad they both want to go home.
Sure but even in that highly unlikely scenario, the club chasing them will likely need to get their hands on enough draft capital to bring both players home... what would that cost? 3 1st rounders? More?

Or alternatively a club will have to try and split Twins/best mates living on the GC that in your scenario are so close that they don’t even hang out with their GC teammates.

So you see that scenario is really just further illustrating my point

True, but they now only have to contend with the SA clubs trying to get them back, and let's be honest, that really just leaves the Pauer!
Well actually they have to contend with 2 SA clubs going after Luko and Rankine, and every VIC club going after Luko, Rankine and King

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying they did poorly in the draft, or are somehow 100% shielded from retention issues if they selected both Kings. I just think they would have put themselves into a lower risk position, in positions of desperate need, with no dramatic drop-off in raw talent. Its seemed like a WIN-WIN-WIN scenario for a club that was against the ropes.

That's why it baffled me.

Like him/dont like him, happy with his output/not happy - all debatable. Whats a dead set certainty is that he'll be on a good bit more than 500k next year.
A lot of people throw numbers around in here without knowing how they relate to free agent market value. Bottom line is if you curve FA signing's over time the prices in any sport never go down. Hell they never even stay flat. A quarterback in the NFL just signed a half a billion dollar deal resetting the market by almost $10M/year.... In a global pandemic and when the NFL might not even play this year.

If he can find me an example of a free agent in the last 3 years that was a 26 year old #1 midfielder for their club, was club champion and polled the clubs highest Brownlow votes (and could quite realistically be 2 x in both categories by years end) that was signed for $500k/year i'll be happy to give him props.

TBH I think it’s a bit comical how anti-crouch it’s gotten in here as well. I agree wholeheartedly that they aren’t meshing well as a tandem, but the negativity towards them is a bit overplayed.

Personally I’d like to see Brad play a month in that midfield without Matt.

People are saying these things because we all want pick 2. Brad is a good player with some flaws, like most. This board always looks for the bad in players and expects the good.

Look and Henderson at Hawks, everybody was trashing him. Now some believe we he’s so much better because we see him every 6 games.

If we had no chance of pick 2, there is no way everybody would be saying all this s**t about him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like him/dont like him, happy with his output/not happy - all debatable. Whats a dead set certainty is that he'll be on a good bit more than 500k next year.

Yeah, there is enough output that I could picture a few clubs, us included if push came to shove, offering that.

People are saying these things because we all want pick 2. Brad is a good player with some flaws, like most. This board always looks for the bad in players and expects the good.

Look and Henderson at Hawks, everybody was trashing him. Now some believe we he’s so much better because we see him every 6 games.

If we had no chance of pick 2, there is no way everybody would be saying all this sh*t about him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's our best player - there is no way we would let him go without matching the offer, UNLESS, we know he will get a band 1 compo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back