Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a very small deluded part of me that hoped somehow Rankine's junior form wouldn't convert to the big time straight away and we could somehow lure him back home at some point.

That small deluded part of me died on the weekend.

Doesnt really matter how good his football gets... he could become the best player in the league..

If he wants to come home, he’ll be traded home eventually..

But none of is here know if coming home is even on the kids mind..

The pity for the crows would be that if right now, he did have thoughts of coming home, he’s contracted.. if he hadnt have re-signed last year he’d be OOC at years end and it wouldve made negotiating a trade massively in the crows favour... given that any negotiation breakdown could see him walk to the PSD and we wouldve got him for nothing.

Obviously being contracted now.. if he did ask to come home the Suns would ask the world for him...

There was a very small deluded part of me that hoped somehow Rankine's junior form wouldn't convert to the big time straight away and we could somehow lure him back home at some point.

That small deluded part of me died on the weekend.

Please on Page 119 dont lose faith.

In September 2007, there was a flag already being hoisted up at Alberton. That changed from Black, Teal and White to just White.

Doesnt really matter how good his football gets... he could become the best player in the league..

If he wants to come home, he’ll be traded home eventually..

But none of is here know if coming home is even on the kids mind..

The pity for the crows would be that if right now, he did have thoughts of coming home, he’s contracted.. if he hadnt have re-signed last year he’d be OOC at years end and it wouldve made negotiating a trade massively in the crows favour... given that any negotiation breakdown could see him walk to the PSD and we wouldve got him for nothing.

Obviously being contracted now.. if he did ask to come home the Suns would ask the world for him...
Would do BCrouch and Laird for him. Whether they would be interested is another story.

Money talks, especially as there is much more opportunity post-football in Adelaide than Gold Coast.

There are a few paths we have, though unfortunately, the on-field opportunity is drying up a bit with Gold Coast being in a stronger position than we are.
Well if he does at some stage in the not too distant future want to return then we had better make sure we get in ahead of port as he was a massive fan of the crows and speaking with his brother at an event last year he himself indicated to me when i probed him that he is a MASSIVE crows fan. I would not write things off but a s**t load of water to go under any bridge first

Inside the Crows' downfall: Who really pulls the recruiting strings?

A rare half-decent article from Rucci.

Inside the Crows' downfall: Who really pulls the recruiting strings?

A rare half-decent article from Rucci.
It's fine but comparing Galucci with Angwin is overly harsh

Any chance we could turn picks 20, 26 and even 42 into someones first-rounder next year?

At the minimum, we should be looking to trade one of the second-rounders into someones second next year etc

Any chance we could turn picks 20, 26 and even 42 into someones first-rounder next year?

At the minimum, we should be looking to trade one of the second-rounders into someones second next year etc

Yes, but there might not be a practical component for that in our position.

We do need NGA points, and come the end of the season, we need enough points to avoid a 1st round deficit. So we might need to downgrade one of our seconds if anything.

I'd be looking to trade the other one out to bring in a more experienced body tbh.

He was RFA at end of one contract, so among the top 10 paid players. Highly unlikely less than that. Sal cap hasn't increased that much since then.
He's been on 1 year deals since that contract ended, wouldn't be any more than AFL average I would've thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our second pick (currently #9) will be interesting.

Assuming we do take Thilthorpe with our first and Borlase as an NGA pick later in the draft, we're starting to look reasonably well stocked for young key position players:
  • Defence: McAsey (19yrs), Worrell (19yrs), Borlase (18yrs), Butts (20yrs)
  • Forward: Fogarty (20yrs), Thilthorpe (18yrs), Frampton (23yrs), Himmelberg (22yrs)
I know the mantra is "best available", but I would have thought adding midfield talent would be the priority for us with our next pick.

Looking at eDPS latest crack at a mock draft (13 July) and the AFL Draft Central Power Rankings (https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/07/06/draft-central-power-rankings-july-2020/) for an indication of who might be available, it seems there will probably still be a few interesting midfield options in the mix (depending on where that pick lands and assuming no-one stiffs us with an early bid on Luke Edwards!):
  • Tanner Bruhn (Vic Country, 182cm)
  • Nathan O'Driscoll (WA, 187cm)
  • Zane Trew (WA, 187cm)
  • Caleb Poulter (SA, 190cm)
  • Finlay Macrae (Vic Metro, 184cm)
  • Archie Perkins (Vic Metro, 186cm)
  • Zac Dumesey (SA, 187cm)
  • Tom Powell (SA, 180cm)
*Campbell (Sydney), McInness (Collingwood), Davies (Gold Coast), Walker (Fremantle) off the table as academy selections projected to be bid on in or around the first round.

1594794632951.png

Money talks, especially as there is much more opportunity post-football in Adelaide than Gold Coast.

There are a few paths we have, though unfortunately, the on-field opportunity is drying up a bit with Gold Coast being in a stronger position than we are.
Would you take GCS defender former SA indigenous draftee Sean Lemmens who Izak is living with if he came as part of the "parcel" with Izak?

Sean's partner Chaye Newchurch is Izak's cousin and it's likely with that surname she would be related to our NGA Tariek?

He's been on 1 year deals since that contract ended, wouldn't be any more than AFL average I would've thought.

That's not what you said. You said he'd never have been on that amount. Which, as a top 10 paid player when the cap was $11m, would be highly likely that he has. He'd be on far more than he should. Minimum per EBA is about $90k plus about $5k per game. A single dollar above that amount is wasted. That said, even at $400k he's providing more value than Sloane and Tex hobbling around injured and keeping a player out.

A few current and future NGA & FS in these games

21 Tariek Newchurch

Newchurch had some close company and found it tough to get going in the early stages, pitted against Glenelg’s Hagan Wright. It wasn’t a good day in front of the scoreboard for Newchurch but he was still able to show off his dazzling speed and agility, and make it clear if given an inch, he can potentially take a mile. Newchurch started to come into the game more late in the piece once Wright was moved off him and he had a great bit of play, taking on fellow speedster Nasiah Wanganeen and winning that dual to show just how quick he is. Newchurch finished the game with 14 disposals and two behinds, but the main stat was 0 tackles which he would want to improve to become a complete package as a small forward going in future.

#22 Lam Simon

One of many NGA talents for Adelaide, the bottom-age defender grew as the game went on, showing plenty of scope for improvement and raw natural talent with his ability to read the play and intercept. It wasn’t smooth sailing to start the game for Simon, despite getting to the right spots he wasn’t quite holding his marks, but was good to see him try and butter up any missed opportunities. It wasn’t until the second half where his intercept game really started to click, taking some very strong marks and getting to some good spots. Simon finished the game with 16 disposals and eight marks, and will hopefully continue to improve his game.

#25 Blayne O’Loughlin

The bottom-age talent who is also tied to Adelaide’s NGA was outstanding down back with his confidence and skills real features, especially with the amount of pressure put on the North defence. Often tasked with the kick-ins, he didn’t miss many of his kicks with his long left boot. Kick-ins can often pad stats, but he still won plenty of the ball with his rebounding ability and even with his intercepting – where he would often quickly play on and hit targets with ease. O’Loughlin finished the game with 28 disposals (team high) and eight marks in a composed and mature defensive display.

25 Luke Edwards

The potential Crows father-son prospect has been playing his role for Glenelg perfectly, playing mostly forward which hasn’t been his main position these last few years. He has been able to not only lead up at the ball well and take marks, but also get up the ground to help with Glenelg’s link-up play where he can use his smarts and composure. Edwards wasn’t able to hit the scoreboard himself, but set up plenty, not messing around in getting the ball inside 50. Edwards finished the game with 24 disposals, eight marks, and four tackles and although he hasn’t had the biggest impact you would expect from him going into this year, he is playing his role perfectly for what the Tigers need in their side right now.

Blayne O’Loughlin
North Adelaide | Defender
1/11/2003 | 171cm | 69kg

Stats:
28 disposals (24 kicks), 8 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 8 rebound 50s

Our scouts said: “(O’Loughlin) was outstanding down back with his confidence and skills real features, especially with the amount of pressure put on the North Adelaide defence. Often tasked with the kick-ins, he didn’t miss many of his kicks with his long left boot.” – Ed Pascoe

Verdict: Adelaide may well have a few more Next Generation Academy (NGA) prospects to keep tabs on in 2021, with O’Loughlin asserting himself on the Under 18s competition over the weekend. He saw plenty of the ball among an under-siege defence, and was effective in his disposal – mostly via foot. He may be small in stature, but O’Loughlin has plenty of desirable traits to suit his rebounding role from defence.

That's not what you said. You said he'd never have been on that amount. Which, as a top 10 paid player when the cap was $11m, would be highly likely that he has. He'd be on far more than he should. Minimum per EBA is about $90k plus about $5k per game. A single dollar above that amount is wasted. That said, even at $400k he's providing more value than Sloane and Tex hobbling around injured and keeping a player out.
409K was the rumour when he signed his last multi year deal, and our players didn't get the automatic increases during the last EBA.

Disagree on the last point, a 50% Sloane proved more effective last week.

Another tall with a lot of upside to come...Likely features in the 1st round, Vic Country - Gippy Power.

Last edited:
Our second pick (currently #9) will be interesting.

Assuming we do take Thilthorpe with our first and Borlase as an NGA pick later in the draft, we're starting to look reasonably well stocked for young key position players:
  • Defence: McAsey (19yrs), Worrell (19yrs), Borlase (18yrs), Butts (20yrs)
  • Forward: Fogarty (20yrs), Thilthorpe (18yrs), Frampton (23yrs), Himmelberg (22yrs)
I know the mantra is "best available", but I would have thought adding midfield talent would be the priority for us with our next pick.

Looking at eDPS latest crack at a mock draft (13 July) and the AFL Draft Central Power Rankings (https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/07/06/draft-central-power-rankings-july-2020/) for an indication of who might be available, it seems there will probably still be a few interesting midfield options in the mix (depending on where that pick lands and assuming no-one stiffs us with an early bid on Luke Edwards!):
  • Tanner Bruhn (Vic Country, 182cm)
  • Nathan O'Driscoll (WA, 187cm)
  • Zane Trew (WA, 187cm)
  • Caleb Poulter (SA, 190cm)
  • Finlay Macrae (Vic Metro, 184cm)
  • Archie Perkins (Vic Metro, 186cm)
  • Zac Dumesey (SA, 187cm)
  • Tom Powell (SA, 180cm)
*Campbell (Sydney), McInness (Collingwood), Davies (Gold Coast), Walker (Fremantle) off the table as academy selections projected to be bid on in or around the first round.

View attachment 912764

Thanks for that, could I trouble you or anyone else in the future to include the draft order up to our Picks 20 and 26 for us?

Given the state of our Club at the moment, this is the only really good positive to look forward to, ie good talent to come into our team.

You can really see the massive importance for the AFC if somehow we could land Pick 2 through Brouch.

A hard nosed mid sure to have his admirers Late 1st - 2nd round, Vic Country - Gippy Power

How many picks you guys see us using ?
I know we want a large cull but can’t see us drafting 8 -10 players

I think we should go the following (with band 1 crouch compo)

1- Thilthorpe
2- Hollands
9- Grainger-Barrass
20- trade for Hately
26- Baldwin
42- Edwards
51- Newchurch
65- Borlase
74- pass

Trade next years 2nd rounder for Valente

Grainger-Barass allows us to set up our spine for the next tilt

FB: Grainger Barrass
CHB: McCasey
C: Jones
CHF: Fogarty / Baldwin (want Fog as big bodied mid eventually)
FF: Thilthorpe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back