Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think we need to screw the Dogs or threaten. We just call on Jamarra's name at Pick 1. Let that unfold as it should.

Get their first for this year or next year would help. Also still a bit pissed about Keath. I think they screwed us with Gibbs when he was in the draft year. They said no to us getting him, they were the only club

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope McAsey warms to the idea of playing down back because I don't think we can't fit him, Fog and Thithorpe all in there.

We can.

McAsey CHF, Thilthorpe FF, Fog 3rd tall/FF when Thilthorpe goes into the rucks. You wouldn't want to add another key forward to that mix though.

Spot the odd one out...

860431d5ab29a4559c620aae407d2cbb
Yeah..that powa top looks like shite

What if we improve? Pick 22/23 is fair
Sorry nowhere can I see a physically well developed lad (manchild) that went at Pick 32 in 2018's draft and yet to debut at AFL level and coming off a just average WAFL League/Reserves season in 2019 improving his value unless he plays AFL and/or burns up the WAFL Competition on it's resumption.
I'm not trying to piss on your fire by the way but that's the stone cold hard facts as I see it.

They're quickly finding out they could've drafted a better player.

Not saying Walsh is bad by any means

Yeah, look, I doubt Carlton hierarchy would genuinely regret drafting Walsh. Sure, others will probably be better, but you've got a pretty high end piece for pick 1.

It only becomes regret if Walsh bombs.

Yeah, look, I doubt Carlton hierarchy would genuinely regret drafting Walsh. Sure, others will probably be better, but you've got a pretty high end piece for pick 1.

He is a a Marc Murphy when you could of had Pendlebury

Or in this case a Bailey Smith

I'm not sure he'll be in the top 15 at the end of his career

He is a poor man's Marc Murphy

He'll probably end up just being a Murphy 2.0 by the end of his career. Walsh's first season was pretty solid. Right now, just looks like 2nd year blues.

Not the lofty heights it could have, but probably about par for pick 1 looking at its history.

I'm not sure he'll be in the top 15 at the end of his career

Hard to say with anyone at this point in time, though a a couple have shown good signs to pushing into that elite category (Rozee and King). You'd probably expect some lesser developed players come draft day to blossom just by entering well run clubs, or just by dumb luck as well as some of that top 10 to fall apart, cap out at mediocre (injuries/lack of drive) or talented but injury prone/a gameday deficiency worsens and cripples them (We'll call this the David Mackay effect).

I'd expect Walsh to end up 10-15 if he remains injury free. Its a strong draft year, and we're probably getting to the point where we'll see some players start to bolt upwards (I.e. Hamill for us), which will probably push the safe selection downwards a tad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not related to Gavin

Port do have a kid named Nasiah Wangerneen in their indigenous academy this year.

A few current and future NGA & FS in these games

21 Tariek Newchurch

Newchurch had some close company and found it tough to get going in the early stages, pitted against Glenelg’s Hagan Wright. It wasn’t a good day in front of the scoreboard for Newchurch but he was still able to show off his dazzling speed and agility, and make it clear if given an inch, he can potentially take a mile. Newchurch started to come into the game more late in the piece once Wright was moved off him and he had a great bit of play, taking on fellow speedster Nasiah Wanganeen and winning that dual to show just how quick he is. Newchurch finished the game with 14 disposals and two behinds, but the main stat was 0 tackles which he would want to improve to become a complete package as a small forward going in future.

#22 Lam Simon

One of many NGA talents for Adelaide, the bottom-age defender grew as the game went on, showing plenty of scope for improvement and raw natural talent with his ability to read the play and intercept. It wasn’t smooth sailing to start the game for Simon, despite getting to the right spots he wasn’t quite holding his marks, but was good to see him try and butter up any missed opportunities. It wasn’t until the second half where his intercept game really started to click, taking some very strong marks and getting to some good spots. Simon finished the game with 16 disposals and eight marks, and will hopefully continue to improve his game.

#25 Blayne O’Loughlin

The bottom-age talent who is also tied to Adelaide’s NGA was outstanding down back with his confidence and skills real features, especially with the amount of pressure put on the North defence. Often tasked with the kick-ins, he didn’t miss many of his kicks with his long left boot. Kick-ins can often pad stats, but he still won plenty of the ball with his rebounding ability and even with his intercepting – where he would often quickly play on and hit targets with ease. O’Loughlin finished the game with 28 disposals (team high) and eight marks in a composed and mature defensive display.

25 Luke Edwards

The potential Crows father-son prospect has been playing his role for Glenelg perfectly, playing mostly forward which hasn’t been his main position these last few years. He has been able to not only lead up at the ball well and take marks, but also get up the ground to help with Glenelg’s link-up play where he can use his smarts and composure. Edwards wasn’t able to hit the scoreboard himself, but set up plenty, not messing around in getting the ball inside 50. Edwards finished the game with 24 disposals, eight marks, and four tackles and although he hasn’t had the biggest impact you would expect from him going into this year, he is playing his role perfectly for what the Tigers need in their side right now.

Blayne O’Loughlin
North Adelaide | Defender
1/11/2003 | 171cm | 69kg

Stats:
28 disposals (24 kicks), 8 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 8 rebound 50s

Our scouts said: “(O’Loughlin) was outstanding down back with his confidence and skills real features, especially with the amount of pressure put on the North Adelaide defence. Often tasked with the kick-ins, he didn’t miss many of his kicks with his long left boot.” – Ed Pascoe

Verdict: Adelaide may well have a few more Next Generation Academy (NGA) prospects to keep tabs on in 2021, with O’Loughlin asserting himself on the Under 18s competition over the weekend. He saw plenty of the ball among an under-siege defence, and was effective in his disposal – mostly via foot. He may be small in stature, but O’Loughlin has plenty of desirable traits to suit his rebounding role from defence.

Edwards playing forward is, well, interesting?

Seems to have a bit of versatility to his game though.

does anyone here honestly know what Mackay is actually on?.. even a ballpark figure..

i genuinely would love to know..

surely he cant be on much these days given he’s only being given 1 years contracts at a time.. he’s not even worth a bloody rookie spot!.
Has to give one photo back for every one year extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back