Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t recall you bagging Hately?

Cant possibly know what he’ll be worth by season end. Anything could happen. But right now he’s tracking nicely, earning his games on merit and holding his spot. Good effort in a good side.

It also depends on personal circumstances. If he decides he’s homesick and wants to leave as an uncontracted player we are in a good position as we can get him for nothing with pick 1 in PS draft. So GWS would prob let him go for the WB 2nd.

He’d also prob take a cheapish contract just to get home too.

That’s entirely different from us chasing him and trying to extract him. I’m not sure he’s reached that status yet but who knows by end of season.
LOL
Nice sidestep, wonder if Hately has that in his tool kit?

It was the reference to the “see Hamish is a wizard crowd” which I'm sure you knew.

LOL
Nice sidestep, wonder if Hately has that in his tool kit?

It was the reference to the “see Hamish is a wizard crowd” which I'm sure you knew.
It wasn’t a side step, I genuinely don’t recall you bagging Hately.

You’re not one to bag many players so when you do they’re usually pretty easy to remember

Don’t recall you bagging Hately?

Cant possibly know what he’ll be worth by season end. Anything could happen. But right now he’s tracking nicely, earning his games on merit and holding his spot. Good effort in a good side.

It also depends on personal circumstances. If he decides he’s homesick and wants to leave as an uncontracted player we are in a good position as we can get him for nothing with pick 1 in PS draft. So GWS would prob let him go for the WB 2nd.

He’d also prob take a cheapish contract just to get home too.

That’s entirely different from us chasing him and trying to extract him. I’m not sure he’s reached that status yet but who knows by end of season.

I'd be very careful with taking that route seeing it would bring Port into the game to snag him and if they're in the game, Hately will most likely go in that direction (because, frankly, they're in a much better position then us).

It might suck in the short term, but considering our salary cap situation, I'd pony up the cash if we believed Hately was a key cog in the future. After all, we're probably forced to spend anyway.

Things could change, but right now, we do have a midfield that is sorely lacking a >188 cm player to complement the faster core we're beginning to build. It's slow right now, but it won't be slow once we give Jones, McHenry and co. the reigns.

We probably want at least one to offer that, but probably two would be ideal.
Collingwood'smidget midfield is looking pretty good ATM.

Adams - 180
Treloar - 180
Sidebottom- 180
Philips - 183

Pendles 191 is the only one above 183cm...and he's not good because of his height

If we get an offer this year for Matt inside the first round, I'd take it. Otherwise, wait for next year and worst we would get would be pick 20 as a FA.

However, we would want to be careful trading both Crouches this year, as our mids are going to be very bare next in terms of experience.
I think the problem is the Crouches together. They are both good players, and can be valuable in a midfield rotation, but Matt or Brad on their own are better players the Matt and Brad together. Period!

I've said it on multiple occasions that they are just too similar in playing style. 2 see-ball get-ball types that don't understand spacial awareness.

They are magnetized to the same spot in the clearances and completely clog up each others space. It makes our center clearances poor when we win them, and when we lose it opens up massive running lanes for opposition midfielders to run directly at goal.

We are an opposition midfield coaches dream, because we literally spent 90% of the time getting in each others way. We basically do their job of defending our own midfielders for them!

I'd be very careful with taking that route seeing it would bring Port into the game to snag him and if they're in the game, Hately will most likely go in that direction (because, frankly, they're in a much better position then us).

It might suck in the short term, but considering our salary cap situation, I'd pony up the cash if we believed Hately was a key cog in the future. After all, we're probably forced to spend anyway.
Be interesting to see if there will be any uncontracted player we can entice home in that way.

Rare that we have a pick 1 in the PS draft

Collingwood'smidget midfield is looking pretty good ATM.

Adams - 180
Treloar - 180
Sidebottom- 180
Philips - 183

Pendles 191 is the only one above 183cm...and he's not good because of his height

It's in part due to his height, after all, it's another tool in his belt.

A player is not good because of one thing, they're good because of a combination of skills/physical traits.

It wasn’t a side step, I genuinely don’t recall you bagging Hately.

You’re not one to bag many players so when you do they’re usually pretty easy to remember
I've not bagged Hately unless what I said yesterday in reference to his lack lustre performance on the weekend is considered "bagging", anyone that watched that game could not possibly have rated his performance anything other than bog average where his sloppy disposal even when in the clear left a lot to be desired. I just don't see him as the midfield messiah some on here are suggesting he would be, it's only his size that sets him apart from other midfielders, he's very average pace wise and only average by foot for a mid that's generally playing outside the contest. Across his 11 AFL games of his 15 possession average only 4.5 of those are contested.

I've not bagged Hately unless what I said yesterday in reference to his lack lustre performance on the weekend is considered "bagging", anyone that watched that game could not possibly have rated his performance anything other than bog average where his sloppy disposal even when in the clear left a lot to be desired. I just don't see him as the midfield messiah some on here are suggesting he would be, it's only his size that sets him apart from other midfielders, he's very average pace wise and only average by foot for a mid that's generally playing outside the contest. Across his 11 AFL games of his 15 possession average only 4.5 of those are contested.
Yeah, that's all fine, but HE IS A 190CM MIDFIELDER. ;)

It's in part due to his height, after all, it's another tool in his belt.

A player is not good because of one thing, they're good because of a combination of skills/physical traits.
Height would be the least of the reasons.

Best player in the comp at the moment is <180cm

Be interesting to see if there will be any uncontracted player we can entice home in that way.

It would certainly be interesting. That said, outside of Hately and Caldwell, the list of OOC players this season looks quite underwhelming for a team in our situation. I am still not against bringing in an vet. from a successful club either just because we do need more reliable experienced players and can offer a coaching pathway (though we'd also need to pair that with rebuilding our coaching team).

Naturally, I haven't put 2 and 2 together for some potentially shrewd pick-ups, but I wouldn't be wedded to the idea of SA only. Cash will make people move.

Look what Carlton did with Jack Martin, seems like they had no intention on trading for him. We should do the same, everyone hates us anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Height would be the least of the reasons.

Best player in the comp at the moment is <180cm

If you're a contested player, height plays a role in your game. Taller you are, bigger you are, harder you hit a contest. You can survive and thrive without it, but life is a lot easier with it.

It is like every tool. A player can survive (and even get to the zenith) without being fast, skilled, big etc. It just makes the margin for error smaller.

It would certainly be interesting. That said, outside of Hately and Caldwell, the list of OOC players this season looks quite underwhelming for a team in our situation. I am still not against bringing in an vet. from a successful club either just because we do need more reliable experienced players and can offer a coaching pathway (though we'd also need to pair that with rebuilding our coaching team).

Naturally, I haven't put 2 and 2 together for some potentially shrewd pick-ups, but I wouldn't be wedded to the idea of SA only. Cash will make people move.

Caldwell is out of contract? 2nd rounder or pre season draft.

Well he’s 190, pace is prob never going to be his greatest asset.

Will be interesting to see how they develop him, seems to be mainly around the wing. I think he’s more suited inside but prob needs more games.

I’m don’t think anyone has suggested he’s some kind of midfield saviour, just that he might bring some size balance to what is shaping as quite a small midfield.

I'd chase Tom Sparrow, a mid that wins the contested ball and has big time acceleration from the contest and a very penetrating kick....I know there's plenty of Hately fanbois but Tom is out of contract and not getting a look in at the Dees. And lo and behold he's also a SA lad.

Tate Kaesler left at the end of 2018 due to the needs of the GC list plus what I heard was he didn't think there was that much more he could add at the Crows.

It's also hard to develop players when you don't play them, so our player development really can't be assessed until at least the end of the year.
Was interested in Tate's background so oogled a bit...

Kaesler, 35, has been at Adelaide since 2009 and currently holds the position of forward development coach.
A winner of three SANFL reserves premierships as a player, he is highly respected for his teaching ability and is understood to have senior coaching aspirations.
After retiring as a player in 2007, Kaesler served as an assistant coach for the SA under-20 team in 2008 before joining Adelaide’s coaching ranks.
[ adelaidenow.com.au ]

"Don't be surprise if Tate Kaesler, who has three or four roles down there at the Adelaide footy club, may join the Gold Coast Suns as well.
[ Jars on Triple M ]

And not to rake up old wounds but this from a reddit thread is interesting...

Tate Kaesler you deserve the Gold Coast...
Been leaking to McClure all year, been pushing AFL to investigate the camp...
---
I dunno, leaking is a s**t move, but at the same time I can understand someone being extremely frustrated at the lack of accountability at the club.

[ reddit ]

I'd chase Tom Sparrow, a mid that wins the contested ball and has big time acceleration from the contest and a very penetrating kick....I know there's plenty of Hately fanbois but Tom is out of contract and not getting a look in at the Dees. And lo and behold he's also a SA lad.
Anyone we can get cheaply, or even free that way is worth a look.

I guess the question is why is he not getting a look in at the Dees? It's not like they are killing it either. Midfield is pretty reasonable, but not impossible to break in to.

I guess the question is why is he not getting a look in at the Dees? It's not like they are killing it either. Midfield is pretty reasonable, but not impossible to break in to.
With a coach in survival mode just like Pyke was?

What did Pyke do with team selection?

With a coach in survival mode just like Pyke was?

What did Pyke do with team selection?

Question marks over decision making and kicking according to that profile. Not sure he's a need over Schoenberg

Question marks over decision making and kicking according to that profile. Not sure he's a need over Schoenberg
And of course your basing that off every game you've see the lad play?

I suggest you find some footage of the 2018 Nationals and cast an opinion then.

Size and power are good, probably a cheap, young player isn't a bad thing.

I'm sure it wouldn't take too much.

And of course your basing that off every game you've see the lad play?

I suggest you find some footage of the 2018 Nationals and cast an opinion then.

I'm basing it off the expert profile written by someone who has seen him play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back