Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
must admit I'd never heard of him till these pages and that highlights package from 2018 looked very very good..very strong lad, great mark on the lead or in a contest and a good kick as well. I like the bolded bit “Kane actually tore his ACL earlier this year and he’s been doing some rehab at the Club,” If he can come back this year and play some good footy, the club will be very well placed to know just how well he is tracking injury wise should any possible move to draft him by our team look likely
Article from that game....Plenty of names to remember - Luke Edwards, Zac Dumesny, Henry Nelligan, Kaine Baldwin, Cory Durdin, Cooper Horsnell, Isaiah Dudley, Riley Thilthorpe, Will Schreiber, Nicholas Kraemer and Port NGA Lachlan Jones.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA 3.6 9.7 12.10 13.12 (90)
VICTORIA METRO 2.3 3.6 6.9 11.12 (78)
BEST – Durdin, Jones, Nelligan, Thilthorpe, Horsnell, Kraemer.
LEADING DISPOSALS – Nelligan 21, Durdin 20, Edwards 19, Schwerdt, Dean 16, Baldwin 14, Dumesny, Thilthorpe, Higgins 13.
GOALS – Dudley, Horsnell 3, Dumesny 2, Dean, Baldwin, Durdin, Higgins, Pedlar.
KEVIN SHEEHAN MEDAL – Corey Durdin (Central District)
SA MVP OF THE CARNIVAL – Corey Durdin (Central Distict)

SA U18's Coach Tony Bamford's take on his top 10 prospects for the 2020 National Draft.

Young guns Thilthorpe, Edwards and Baldwin headline South Australia’s AFL draft class of 2020

RILEY THILTHORPE
(West Adelaide)
Key forward/ruck
17, 199cm, 95kg
Tony Bamford says: “Has already played well at league level and is a unique tall in that he is just as good at ground level as he is in the air.
“He’ll probably play as a key forward in West’s league side early in the season and act as a forward and second ruck for us in the State under-18s.
“He’s your modern, AFL style ruckman who can rack up 25 possessions.’’
LUKE EDWARDS
(Glenelg)
Midfielder/defender
17, 187cm, 78kg
(Adelaide father-son prospect)
Bamford: “Luke’s a terrific ball user.
“As a coach you want the ball in his hands because he makes really good decisions and sees options that other guys don’t.
“He reads the play really well, intercepts well behind the ball at half-back and uses it to his team's advantage.
“He’ll spend more time in the midfield next season.’’
KAINE BALDWIN
(Glenelg)
Key forward
17, 192cm, 89kg
Bamford: “Missed the whole season following a knee reconstruction but is a really hardworking, high-marking forward who will play in a key position.
“I’d liken his game to a combination of Jesse Hogan (Fremantle), Matthew Pavlich (former Dockers star) and Tom Lynch (Richmond) in that he is an elite runner with strong hands.
“Also has excellent leadership skills.’’
ZAC DUMESNY
(South Adelaide)
Half-forward/half-back
17, 186cm, 78kg
Bamford: “He’s your modern-day, medium-sized, half-forward/half-back running player.
“He’s very good in the air, has elite kicking skills and has the versatility to play behind or in front of the ball.
“Has a lot of tricks to his game and I’m very excited about how he might perform in his under-18 year.’’
COREY DURDIN
(Central District)
Small forward/midfielder
17, 172cm, 71kg
Bamford: “Corey’s a pure footballer who is small in stature but has elite skills, clean hands and an excellent ability to win contests at ground level.
“I’d liken him to Sam Gray (former Power player now at Sydney) at the same age.
“Has already played good league football with the Bulldogs and needs to continue to develop his forward craft because he might be a bit small to play a lot of midfield in the AFL.’’
LACHLAN JONES
(Woodville-West Torrens)
Defender
17, 184cm, 85kg
(Port Next Generation Academy prospect)
Bamford: “He’s a go forward defender who likes to take the game on.
“Has a penetrating, 60m kick and attacks like your Heath Shaw (GWS) and Darcy Byrne-Jones (Power) type defender.
“Is as tough as they come.
“Has big, thick legs and chunky hips at the moment but he’ll develop well physically and has elite speed coming off half-back.’’
TAJ SCHOFIELD
(Woodville-West Torrens)
Midfielder/half-forward
17, 177cm, 74kg
(Port father-son prospect)
Bamford: “Taj is a really smart, clever, inside-outside midfielder who can also play forward.
“Runs well and has really good kicking skills.
“Has a very good ability to win the ball in congestion on the inside and then get on the end of it on the outside and break lines by running with it.’’
JAMES BORLASE

(Sturt)
Key defender
17, 191cm, 88kg
(Adelaide Next Generation Academy prospect)
Bamford: “James is a developing tall defender.
“He’s not as natural a footballer as some of the other more high profile guys in this draft class and is still learning the game.
“But he has really good aerial contest skills.
“I’d expect him to play more key forward at college level next season but he’ll be a key backman in the (State) under-18s.
“Still needs to work on his ball use and ground level skills.’’
HENRY SMITH
(Woodville-West Torrens)
Ruckman
17, 202cm, 82kg
Bamford: “Being so tall at a young age, he’s a slow burn and a developing player.
“His progression in terms of his skill acquisition in the past 18 months has been through the roof.
“Must work on his endurance but, like Riley (Thilthorpe), he has the ability to be clean at ground level and also win hit-outs and take marks.”
JAMISON MURPHY
(North Adelaide)
Midfielder/half-back
17, 181cm, 82kg
Bamford: “Has given cricket away (as Australian under-16 captain) to concentrate on his football.
“Is a tough, hard-nosed, inside midfielder with an elite kick.
“He can also play at half-back.
“He models his game a bit on Luke Hodge (four-times Hawthorn premiership player) in that role but I see him playing a lot of midfield next season.’’

“I’d expect him to play more key forward at college level next season but he’ll be a key backman in the (State) under-18s.

Last edited:

Are we expecting a real early bid on Borlaise from the Power?
Unless he shows further improvement under pressure situations than he showed with a couple of pretty ordinary turnovers in that U17's All Stars game on Grand Final day they'd want to be pretty careful where they bid or they may find themselves with a player.

Unless he shows further improvement under pressure situations than he showed with a couple of pretty ordinary turnovers in that U17's All Stars game on Grand Final day they'd want to be pretty careful where they bid or they may find themselves with a player.
This ! .....looking like a tall thats stopped growing ....and now is caught at an in-between size, and struggling

Slow footwork in close & poor evasive skills .....on that game maybe a Rookie pick .....but theres 12 months to go

This ! .....looking like a tall thats stopped growing ....and now is caught at an in-between size, and struggling

Slow footwork in close & poor evasive skills .....on that game maybe a Rookie pick .....but theres 12 months to go
Funny what can happen in 12 months, this time last year we were eyeing off Sladojevic as a 1st/2nd round KPF prospect, fast forward to now and he's nowhere near being on an AFL list

Tend to agree on your Borlase assessment, btw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't help but think of Borlase was a port name, it doesn't seem right that he's not Port f/s - I'll take him for sure, but it's not right

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Seems absolutely right.

He missed out because of the same rule that made Bryce Gibbs ineligible for us. A rule to which the AFL was alerted by Rucci, just because he's a flog.

Karma, dude. Karma.

Also though, can't help but feel if he was all about Port personally, he could easily have been playing in one of their aligned clubs (or even port themselves) and therefore be eligible under NGA for them. Maybe he just wants his own name.

Seems absolutely right.

He missed out because of the same rule that made Bryce Gibbs ineligible for us. A rule to which the AFL was alerted by Rucci, just because he's a flog.

Karma, dude. Karma.

Also though, can't help but feel if he was all about Port personally, he could easily have been playing in one of their aligned clubs (or even port themselves) and therefore be eligible under NGA for them. Maybe he just wants his own name.
100% this - I have made the same point before myself. How ironic after all these years that Rucci's chickens are coming home to roost...the cnut

I don’t think Borlase will go before the 3rd round.

I'd be very curious to see what happens if we threw him into the midfield for a while. Very good inside mid size and being somewhat of a man child wouldn't hurt James at his size.

Might take to it, might not, but it certainly paints a better picture on if James has an AFL future.

I'd be very curious to see what happens if we threw him into the midfield for a while. Very good inside mid size and being somewhat of a man child wouldn't hurt James at his size.

Might take to it, might not, but it certainly paints a better picture on if James has an AFL future.
No chance!

Did you watch the U17's All Stars game where he was pitted against his peers??

Unless James' game sense, reflexes and reaction time massively improved he'd never make it it as a midfielder at AFL level...twice in that All Stars game he made "howlers" that resulted in him getting nailed holding the ball. Unless he is still growing he doesn't quite have the height to hold down a key position so I'd think his future will see him utilised as a 3rd tall up Forward or in defence. On what I've seen personally I'd think his future will likely be as the 3rd tall intercepting defender as his best attribute is without a doubt his overhead marking.

I don't quite get what this fixation is of yours wanting to turn every 2nd player into a midfielder i.e. Doedee.
SA's U18's coach Tony Bamford who would know quite a bit about his capabilities and this is his take.

JAMES BORLASE

(Sturt)

Key defender

17, 191cm, 88kg

“He’s not as natural a footballer as some of the other more high profile guys in this draft class and is still learning the game.

No chance!

Did you watch the U17's All Stars game where he was pitted against his peers??

Unless James' game sense, reflexes and reaction time massively improved he'd never make it it as a midfielder at AFL level...twice in that All Stars game he made "howlers" that resulted in him getting nailed holding the ball. Unless he is still growing he doesn't quite have the height to hold down a key position so I'd think his future will see him utilised as a 3rd tall up Forward or in defence. On what I've seen personally I'd think his future will likely be as the 3rd tall intercepting defender as his best attribute is without a doubt his overhead marking.

I don't quite get what this fixation is of yours wanting to turn every 2nd player into a midfielder i.e. Doedee.
SA's U18's coach Tony Bamford who would know quite a bit about his capabilities and this is his take.

JAMES BORLASE

(Sturt)

Key defender

17, 191cm, 88kg

Fair enough with the third tall description.

It's a pretty simple fascination, players are much more worthwhile to our premiership ambitions if they can play midfield well (or hold down a KP position). Take Borlace for instance, at 191 cm /88 kg, being able to play midfield well takes him from a middling third-round prospect (pushing not drafted) to a walk-up first-round pick, especially if he has the flexibility of moving forward/back to fill gaps as a reliable big-bodied mid.

Take Doedee as another instance, good third tall, but if he can take 10-20 minutes of midfield time a game on top of that, it both allows us much more flexibility in being able to rest one of our better ball movers on the half-back line where they can stay dangerous (and allowing us to save them until they are needed), with the move of one of our mainstay half backs to third tall, on top of giving a different dynamic in the midfield being another bigger sized player which would help with contested ball (seeing my plan would see him developed on the inside), which is especially useful when the game is in a holding pattern. It's these little optimisations that can take a club from top 4 to premier. Of course, if Doedee clicks and becomes a genuine gun, well it makes plotting our path as a premiership aspirant much easier, as replacing a third tall is childs play compared to finding a top-line mid.

It's a course that we lose nothing (as one can always revert back to their old position/ditch the role if it doesn't work after a short period of time, and potentially rounding out their game in the process), and have everything to gain from it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back