Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bid on JUH at 1, take Hollands at 2, bid on Campbell hoping Sydney match. Trade pick with Freo for pick swap and next year 1st. On current ladder Roos and hawks would have the next pick. This would allow crows to get Thilthorpe and add another pick for next year.

Due to the compromised draft, crows should be able to get a good mid with giants pick if they finish out of the 8.

Everyone is tradeable for the right price. This is the right time to accumulate talent on the list even it’s sitting near bottom next year. 2022 should be the crows target to show significant improvement and start pushing for the 8.
my worry would be in doing that that Thilthorpe along with McDonald gets taken before our next pick after Hollands. I do like getting the extra 1st in next years draft as long as it does not compromise who we need this draft

I think Luko is doing great as an intercepting defender. Obviously tracking well behind Lever at the same age, but still a very promising young player.

I think Luko is doing great as an intercepting defender. Obviously tracking well behind Lever at the same age, but still a very promising young player.
Actually their stats are pretty similar for the same age. The only obvious real difference was Lever was averaging a few more intercept marks, but Lukosius is averaging about 200m gained per game. Lukosius kicks the ball a little more, which you'd be wanting.

Lukosius is way above Lever on the current season though. 6 more disposals, more rebound 50's (3 per game), and around 270m more gained per game.

Actually their stats are pretty similar for the same age. The only obvious real difference is Lever was averaging a few more intercept marks, but Lukosius is averaging about 200m gained per game. Lukosius kicks the ball a little more, which you'd be wanting.

Lukosius is way above Lever on the current season though. 6 more disposals, more rebound 50's (3 per game), and around 270m more gained per game.
Lever has certainly fallen away which I suspect is the 2nd recon. At his best with us he was jumping strongly at the ball, either marking or spoiling.

Perfectly understandable the confidence to do that would take a hit.

Lever has certainly fallen away which I suspect is the 2nd recon. At his best with us he was jumping strongly at the ball, either marking or spoiling.

Perfectly understandable the confidence to do that would take a hit.
Yes. And at the same age, Lever was playing in a much stronger defensive group as well.

Conventional wisdom is that you draft your spine first

Is that borne out by successful rebuilds?

Hawthorn:
2001 - Hodge, Mitchell
2004 - Franklin, Roughead, Lewis

Richmond:
2006 - Riewoldt, Edwards
2007 - Rance, Cotchin
2009 - Martin

Doesn’t seem to be a pattern there. Just draft stars whichever position they play.

Actually their stats are pretty similar for the same age. The only obvious real difference was Lever was averaging a few more intercept marks, but Lukosius is averaging about 200m gained per game. Lukosius kicks the ball a little more, which you'd be wanting.

Significantly more intercepts is critical for a player whose role is intercepting defender?

Lever was 10th in the league on intercepts per game as a 2nd year player. Then 1st in the league as a 3rd year player. That’s a heck of a start to your career. Unknown what would have happened without the ACL.

But my point is this:

Everyone here agrees we were correct not to pay Lever what he wanted - with the primary explanation being that it was an easy role in which to excel

But now Luko performing a bit less well in the same role at the same time is evidence that FAITH is totally wrong about saying pick 2 was too early for Luko?

I reckon the early Adelaide administration knew what it was doing when they locked away Rehn, Robran & Smart very early in their initial build.;) :thumbsu:

6-7 years later, flags. This is the reality of the situation that Crows fans have to embrace, and I know it's not easy as the club has stayed very competitive for a long time.

Very few of the initial round 1 1991 side made it's way to the premiership dais.
It's interesting looking at start up clubs - us, Freo, Port, GC, GWS - put admin together, get draft concessions, develop the list, then maybe a flag 7-10 years down the line. They seem to need to put things together, get an initial practice run before rebuilding/tinker slightly before being able to reach the ultimate - this is like us & Port.

Freo seem to nearly get there but just missed with Lyons and needed to go back to the drawing board. If you don't snag a flag within 10 years of your initial startup concessions, then you just join the rest of the comp in the cycle of rebuild, become competitive challenger and then rinse and repeat.

GC's initial attempts just didn't work - maybe because being in a non-traditional AFL state made it harder to get together an admin with AFL know-how? GWS' setup may have learnt from GC's but may or may not quite get there. And now with the recent generous concessions given, maybe GC will have learnt from their early days and should find success soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is our football philosophy or Nicks

Or better put : what is the trend and are we able to get ahead of that?

In 2017 we relied on 2 KPFs with Lynch playing higher. Jenkins aerobic fitness (whatever happened to that) brought our small forwards in

Do we continue that or change it?

That decides your picks

Is Berg and Fog the answer? Thilthorpe looks to be more steadier than Berg but would still be 2022 ready

tl,dr : do we trust the club to get it right

Significantly more intercepts is critical for a player whose role is intercepting defender?

Lever was 10th in the league on intercepts per game as a 2nd year player. Then 1st in the league as a 3rd year player. That’s a heck of a start to your career. Unknown what would have happened without the ACL.

But my point is this:

Everyone here agrees we were correct not to pay Lever what he wanted - with the primary explanation being that it was an easy role in which to excel

But now Luko performing a bit less well in the same role at the same time is evidence that FAITH is totally wrong about saying pick 2 was too early for Luko?
Yes.

Luko is not an intercepting defender.

He is a quarterback for that team, with clear ability to move up the ground in the future. His skills by foot are close to the best by a big man in the league and he has an absolute footballers brain.

Meanwhile, Lever has never been proven to be anything that a guy that can take the easiest job in a good defence.

Sorry if these have already been posted .....not strolling back thru 7K posts

Interesting ... seems to like the idea of being drafted to an SA team but just wants to be drafted.

FS with us is a way to ensure that but the fact more noise hasn't been made of that maybe means AFC hasn't been willing to commit to him as a FS?

Yes.

Luko is not an intercepting defender.

He is a quarterback for that team, with clear ability to move up the ground in the future. His skills by foot are close to the best by a big man in the league and he has an absolute footballers brain.

Meanwhile, Lever has never been proven to be anything that a guy that can take the easiest job in a good defence.
could you imagine him off a wing in the coming seasons - imagine what the forwards would think..come to think of it, imagine our own Fogarty leading to Lukosius field kicking - he would be the perfect player for any fast leading forward even in tight space such is the quality of Luko's kicking

But my point is this:

I don’t think Lukosius is playing less well than Lever did in 2016 at all. In fact I think while Lever averaged a couple more intercept marks per game, Lukosius is creating more scoring opportunities

Hawthorn:
2001 - Hodge, Mitchell

Richmond:
2006 - Riewoldt, Edwards
2007 - Rance, Cotchin
2009 - Martin

Doesn’t seem to be a pattern there. Just draft stars whichever position they play.
I Agree, I think we just need to take best available with our 1st picks for the next couple of years. If that happens to be talls this year and mids next year then so be it. We need quality players in all areas of the ground. You look to fill needs with your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Once we have a good core group of young kids in place after the next few drafts, that is when we can start to target some quality players from other clubs to fill any gaps we have left in our squad.

I don’t think Lukosius is playing less well than Lever did in 2016 at all. In fact I think while Lever averaged a couple more intercept marks per game, Lukosius is creating more scoring opportunities

Lever averaged 1.70 score launches across 2016-2017 compared to Lukosius just 1.00 average this season

Also averaged more score involvements (3.32 versus 2.75) and far more intercept marks (3.00 versus 1.17) and intercept possessions (8.31 vs 4.75) with a better contested win rate (~70% versus ~50%). Luko does average more meters gained.

Don't get me wrong, Lukosius is a great player. But Jake Lever's first three seasons with us were absolutely elite

So we’ve got a disillusioned Worrel and Mcasey who both look unlikely to stay, Himmelberg won’t make it, and god knows what Fog will become. I’m keen for two KPP at 1 and 2.

What is our football philosophy or Nicks

Or better put : what is the trend and are we able to get ahead of that?

In 2017 we relied on 2 KPFs with Lynch playing higher. Jenkins aerobic fitness (whatever happened to that) brought our small forwards in

Do we continue that or change it?

That decides your picks

Is Berg and Fog the answer? Thilthorpe looks to be more steadier than Berg but would still be 2022 ready

tl,dr : do we trust the club to get it right
In 2017 it Was Tex,Jenkins, Otten, McGregor and Lynch.

But my point is this:

I actually don’t think the 2 are particularly comparable.

Luko does much more to set them up in an attacking sense, and also he’s not even completed his 2nd year. Even so I don’t recall Lever playing games in his 2nd year like Luko did last night.

Not in the same postcode really.

Hawthorn:
2001 - Hodge, Mitchell

Richmond:
2006 - Riewoldt, Edwards
2007 - Rance, Cotchin
2009 - Martin

Yes, take the best talent.. as we need both talls & midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back