Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good listen .....interesting that the opinions on Macrae's draft position is also reflected in Jack Macrae's cloke of invisibility in his U17 year ...moreso than Finlay Macrea

Shifter places a lot of emphasis on who plays well in the U17 All-Star Game .....last year Rowell was BOG, this year Hollands

Sorry peeps, Grainger-Barras starting to climb the rankings

Yeah absolutely, but i think the top 5/6 are fairly close together in terms of quality after JUH, so although the default position is to pick up the best available, what does the club 'need' if there's a pick of a bunch in the same range. Are teams more/less likely to simply pick best available with reduced list sizes?
They'll have their draft board order set and from what you hear from the head recruiters they rarely deviate with their 1st pick, it's more down to filling list needs later in the draft.

It's a good listen .....interesting that the opinions on Macrae's draft position is also reflected in Jack Macrae's cloke of invisibility in his U17 year ...moreso than Finlay Macrea

Shifter places a lot of emphasis on who plays well in the U17 All-Star Game .....last year Rowell was BOG, this year Hollands

I don't place a great deal of emphasis on rankings this year when 75% of the likely draftees can't play

Shifter is wrong there Wayno, Braeden Campbell was awarded the Best Player Medal in the last year's Future Stars game....Hollands was very good too but he wasn't judged best by the judges...and I'm pretty sure Shifter was on that panel.

Shifter is wrong there Wayno, Braeden Campbell was awarded the Best Player Medal in the last year's Future Stars game....Hollands was very good too but he wasn't judged best by the judges...and I'm pretty sure Shifter was on that panel.
So we know who he voted for......

I don't place a great deal of emphasis on rankings this year when 75% of the likely draftees can't play
Think the figure is closer to 60% .....but not withstanding that, who in the top 30 at the start of the season from Victoria, may have made a rush up the rankings

Majority of top prospects at season start and the U17 all-star game, remain still the top prospects

I like that clubs won't be influenced by a 3 game spurt this season .....to me it's talent and very importantly workrate and hunger to improve

Not sure why draftees don't do psychological testing

Think the figure is closer to 60% .....but not withstanding that, who in the top 30 at the start of the season from Victoria, may have made a rush up the rankings

Majority of top prospects at season start and the U17 all-star game, remain still the top prospects

I like that clubs won't be influenced by a 3 game spurt this season .....to me it's talent and very importantly workrate and hunger to improve

We will never know, they can't play. We've seen with guys like Poulter and Tom Powell, they've flown up the rankings due to playing great footy.

He certainly didn't downplay how good Campbell is

Gut feel is we will draft midfielders with our first rounders and trade for a forward next year or try get luka from the suns.

We will never know, they can't play. We've seen with guys like Poulter and Tom Powell, they've flown up the rankings due to playing great footy.
That's on Bigfooty .....do you think it's changed our ranking of those two players ? ......remembering all clubs would have players ranked differently

I think posters opinions change on performances moreso than recruiters

Gut feel is we will draft midfielders with our first rounders and trade for a forward next year or try get luka from the suns.
More talls in the Top 10 predicted this year ..... Mutineer what's the early thoughts on next years Draft, Mid Draft or Tall in the first round ?

Archie Perkins, Zavier Maher, Jack Ginnivan would be 3 players that showed enormous potential as under-agers and most would have reasonably expected them to get even better in their top age year.

eDPS might like to give us some input here with his knowledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Archie Perkins, Zavier Maher, Jack Ginnivan would be 3 players that showed enormous potential as under-agers and most would have reasonably expected them to get even better in their top age year.

eDPS might like to give us some input here with his knowledge.

Hollands & Maher are close and training at Richmond.

Maher by paper is a potential explosive big bodied midfielder that we need.

Get them both

Shifter also said that Quaynor got the nod for rising star for his body of work over the year...so I suppose on that analogy the team that finishes top of the ladder at the end of the year can be declared the premier as a one off individual game like the Grand final should not decide who is best on any given day :drunk:

Shifter also said that Quaynor got the nod for rising star for his body of work over the year...so I suppose on that analogy the team that finishes top of the ladder at the end of the year can be declared the premier as a one off individual game like the Grand final should not decide who is best on any given day :drunk:
So how were R1 and R2 Rising Star's chosen :think:

So you'd take a tall with one of our two Top 10 picks then .....and another "ace" mid next year, assuming lets say we finish 14th next year ?
I'd expect Hamish to take whoever is on top of his draft board at the relevant pick regardless with 1st round picks...it could be one of each or it could be 2 talls or 2 mids.....By draft night e be well across who was likely to be available with all our picks and he may rate a player way higher than generally thought but know he can get them with a later pick. Unlike Tom Doedee who he took earlier than expected because from memory we only took thev 2 picks in that draft, this time he has a full hand of picks with the likelihood he has more to come.

Hollands & Maher are close and training at Richmond.

Maher by paper is a potential explosive big bodied midfielder that we need.

Get them both
They only trained at Richmond for the fortnight as all AFL Academy players do at AFL clubs every year. The placement is just standard AFL Academy practice. Thilthorpe did his fortnight at Port Adelaide.

I'd expect Hamish to take whoever is on top of his draft board at the relevant pick regardless with 1st round picks...it could be one of each or it could be 2 talls or 2 mids.....By draft night e be well across who was likely to be available with all our picks and he may rate a player way higher than generally thought but know he can get them with a later pick. Unlike Tom Doedee who he took earlier than expected because from memory we only took thev 2 picks in that draft, this time he has a full hand of picks with the likelihood he has more to come.

What's the likelihood that we will try consolidate some picks and move up or either trade some picks with players for future picks?

What's the likelihood that we will try consolidate some picks and move up or either trade some picks with players for future picks?
All things are possible but I think it will be extremely difficult to trade into next year's 1st round given how strong that draft looks.

All things are possible but I think it will be extremely difficult to trade into next year's 1st round given how strong that draft looks.
What value would there be in us looking to trade our 2021 2nd rounder with maybe another pick inside this draft to try and garner another top 10 pick? It seems like teams are going to be happy to trade out of this year and into next year if they can and our 2nd rounder might represent an enticing pick..if we think the talent is here in this draft to do it

What value would there be in us looking to trade our 2021 2nd rounder with maybe another pick inside this draft to try and garner another top 10 pick? It seems like teams are going to be happy to trade out of this year and into next year if they can and our 2nd rounder might represent an enticing pick..if we think the talent is here in this draft to do it
I'm not willing to part with any 2021 picks, unless it somehow nets us an additional 2021 1st rounder.

That's on Bigfooty .....do you think it's changed our ranking of those two players ? ......remembering all clubs would have players ranked differently

I think posters opinions change on performances moreso than recruiters
I absolutely think it's changed recruiters opinions, they'd be mad not to.

Recruiters want to see developments in players games in their draft years, hence why you'd imgaine Luke Edwards will have fallen back a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back