Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone heard when school footy is set to resume in other states especially SA?
The schools were talking about playing their Term 3 program as per normal, and that was a few weeks ago (was an article in the Messenger about it)

That may have moved forward with cases falling so quickly

From what I've heard (my mate is a mate of someone involved with the footy department), Tyson is pretty disgruntled at the club for the whole McLeod / Edwards thing as well as the handling of Jackson. Tyson was of the opinion Jackson should have been getting games, and was often calling the club asking why he wasn't picked, etc.

The club was then getting pretty short with him in response and were getting fed up with the constant calls (note, I heard this a couple of years ago, and it was probably Burton or Pyke, who was by all reports, not that close to the less experienced players).

If Luke nominates us, I'd consider it a bonus. My expectation is he is about 25% chance
As bad as the club was this seems totally on Tyson doesn't it? I bow to those who watched lots of Jackson but don't think anyone here thought he looked anywhere near an AFL player.

As bad as the club was this seems totally on Tyson doesn't it? I bow to those who watched lots of Jackson but don't think anyone here thought he looked anywhere near an AFL player.
He showed enough in his draft year to be worth a shot which is what he got on the rookie list. Jackson's biggest problem was he was reasonably competent in all facets of the game but really had no stand out attributes, not quick and not a very penetrating kick. Maybe he could have been given another year on the rookie list to see if he developed further but looking at his wasted year on Werribee's VFL/Spotswood WRFL lists the decision to cut him was the correct one it would seem.

He showed enough in his draft year to be worth a shot which is what he got on the rookie list. Jackson's biggest problem was he was reasonably competent in all facets of the game but really had no stand out attributes, not quick and not a very penetrating kick. Maybe he could have been given another year on the rookie list to see if he developed further but looking at his wasted year on Werribee's VFL/Spotswood WRFL lists the decision to cut him was the correct one it would seem.

It seems like a horrible decision. Whilst he looked a fair way off AFL level (very skinny for a start), I watched a bit of him in the Crows reserves and for a skinny 18 year old lad (in a significantly injury struck reserves side), playing against men he looked like he should at the very comfortably develop into a good SANFL player.

It seems like a horrible decision. Whilst he looked a fair way off AFL level (very skinny for a start), I watched a bit of him in the Crows reserves and for a skinny 18 year old lad (in a significantly injury struck reserves side), playing against men he looked like he should at the very comfortably develop into a good SANFL player.
What? He couldn't even get a game in a middling VFL side.

Maybe give him another year to be generous, but considering what's happened since, he's hardly made the Crows look bad for the decision.

What? He couldn't even get a game in a middling VFL side.

Maybe give him another year to be generous, but considering what's happened since, he's hardly made the Crows look bad for the decision.

Apologies for confusion, I was referring to his decision to move to Victoria, not our decision to cut him. I thought he probably warranted another year, but wasn't fussed either way. His decision to move to Victoria has backfired significantly, would have been much better off returning to Glenelg, facing the chin music as a "failed AFL player", instead he ran off to Victoria and seems to have gone significantly backwards as a footballer.

What ya think 1990crow these 2 in a Crows jumper in 2021?

1589282938241.png

AFL Draft Watch: Luke Edwards (Glenelg/South Australia)
May 12, 2020 by Michael Alvaro
IN the build up to football eventually returning, Draft Central takes a look at some of this year’s brightest names who have already represented their state at Under 17 or Under 18s level in 2019.
While plenty can change between now and then, we will provide a bit of an insight into players, how they performed at preseason testing, and some of our scouting notes on them from last year.
Next under the microscope in our AFL Draft watch is versatile Glenelg product Luke Edwards, who is eligible to be drafted by Adelaide under the father-son rule in 2020 given his father, Tyson‘s 321-game career with the Crows.
One of six Tigers to be named in the South Australian Academy Hub, Edwards is arguably the most credentialed of the lot having already featured at SANFL Reserves level, and in all four of South Australia’s Under 18 fixtures last year as a bottom-ager.
In 2020, the 187cm prospect will be looking to ply his trade more prominently through the engine room, utilising his solid frame and outstanding contested ball work after proving his worth as a rebounding half-back throughout 2019.
A lower back niggle prevented Edwards from completing a full preseason and participating in the fitness testing day, though he will be raring to go should the class of 2020 get back on the park.

PLAYER PAGE:
Luke Edwards
Height: 187.2cm
Weight: 80.7kg
Position: Inside midfielder/half-back
2019 SANFL U18 STATS: 8 games | 22.5 disposals | 4.4 marks | 5.8 tackles | 5.1 clearances | 4.6 inside 50s | 1 goal
2019 U18 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS STATS: 4 games | 18.8 disposals | 4.3 marks | 3.3 tackles | 2.75 rebound 50s | 1.5 inside 50s
Strengths: Versatility, contested ball, reading the play, efficiency
Improvements: Explosive speed, contested marking

QUOTES FROM PRE-SEASON:
Preferred position…
“(Midfield) is where I’ll probably be playing mostly through the state champs. But it’s obviously good to be able to be that versatile type of player – go through the mid, down back.
“I enjoy playing through the mid probably more, I find it easier than playing down back so hopefully through the mid a little bit more, find more of the ball which would be good.”
2020 goals… “Hopefully I can play some senior footy, play a couple of League games if that’s before state champs or after state champs. “Obviously I’ve got my older brother (Jackson) who’s come down again so if I could play with him as well that’d be pretty cool.
“And hopefully by the end of the year, get drafted but we’ll just wait and see what happens with that.”
Working on… “Probably just that contested marking if I want to go down back or if I want to go up forward. “Just being able to be that player who can run and crash a few packs like Kaine Baldwin and take some big marks, that’d be pretty cool.”
GET TO KNOW GLENELG’S UNDER 18s

SCOUTING NOTES:
Under 17 Futures All Star Game
By: Michael Alvaro
The potential Adelaide father-son has composure beyond his years and looks a versatile type. Starting in his usual half-back role, Edwards showed great poise in his disposal coming out of defence and worked hard to impact the play further afield once he had released the ball himself.
His intercept marking game was also sound, reading the ball well in flight to get in the right position on defensive wing. He is the accumulating type in the backline, but looks a different player once thrown into the midfield with his strong hands and frame allowing him to play that inside game.
Open Schools Cup Grand Final vs. PAC
Adelaide fans would want to be keeping the potential father-son’s progress on the down-low, but he keeps on showing good signs of form. Edwards’ quick and clean hands in congestion were outstanding, flicking the ball out effectively to his runners and staying strong through the hips under tackling pressure.
He looked at home through the midfield but also chimed in down back with some rebounding kicks and showed good penetration when going long.
2019 Under 18 National Championships vs. Allies
One of few bottom-agers in the SA squad but was again impressive in spurts. He found a spot in the back six throughout the carnival, but will become a good midfielder in time with his clean hands and strong frame.
Edwards had a shaky moment early with a pretty bad turnover by foot on defensive wing, but would make amends later in the game with some clean gathers off the deck and improved composure inside defensive 50 as the game wore on.
2019 Under 18 Championships vs. Vic Country
By: Craig Byrnes
The son of former Adelaide champion Tyson, Luke is a potential father-son option for next year, but speculation continues to grow that he may opt to nominate for the open draft.
He again found himself behind the ball on Friday, intercepting, rebounding and often starting dangerous scoring chains. He took an excellent intercept mark in the third term which set up a goal for his team at a vital time.
2019 Under 18 National Championships vs. Vic Metro
By: Sophie Taylor
At 187cm he is a good size which allows him to compete strongly one-on-one against the top-aged boys. With 18 disposals, Edwards had no issues finding the football.
He generally used it well, playing across half-back (at times stationing himself in ‘the hole’ in-front of the key forwards) and also in an inside midfield role. Dribbled home a goal in the third term in an attempt to kickstart SA after half-time.

View attachment 874643

IN the build up to football eventually returning, Draft Central takes a look at some of this year’s brightest names who have already represented their state at Under 17 or Under 18s level in 2019.
While plenty can change between now and then, we will provide a bit of an insight into players, how they performed at preseason testing, and some of our scouting notes on them from last year.
Next under the microscope in our AFL Draft watch is versatile Glenelg product Luke Edwards, who is eligible to be drafted by Adelaide under the father-son rule in 2020 given his father, Tyson‘s 321-game career with the Crows.
One of six Tigers to be named in the South Australian Academy Hub, Edwards is arguably the most credentialed of the lot having already featured at SANFL Reserves level, and in all four of South Australia’s Under 18 fixtures last year as a bottom-ager.
In 2020, the 187cm prospect will be looking to ply his trade more prominently through the engine room, utilising his solid frame and outstanding contested ball work after proving his worth as a rebounding half-back throughout 2019.
A lower back niggle prevented Edwards from completing a full preseason and participating in the fitness testing day, though he will be raring to go should the class of 2020 get back on the park.

PLAYER PAGE:
Luke Edwards
2019 SANFL U18 STATS: 8 games | 22.5 disposals | 4.4 marks | 5.8 tackles | 5.1 clearances | 4.6 inside 50s | 1 goal
2019 U18 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS STATS: 4 games | 18.8 disposals | 4.3 marks | 3.3 tackles | 2.75 rebound 50s | 1.5 inside 50s

QUOTES FROM PRE-SEASON:
Preferred position…
“(Midfield) is where I’ll probably be playing mostly through the state champs. But it’s obviously good to be able to be that versatile type of player – go through the mid, down back.
“I enjoy playing through the mid probably more, I find it easier than playing down back so hopefully through the mid a little bit more, find more of the ball which would be good.”
2020 goals… “Hopefully I can play some senior footy, play a couple of League games if that’s before state champs or after state champs. “Obviously I’ve got my older brother (Jackson) who’s come down again so if I could play with him as well that’d be pretty cool.
“And hopefully by the end of the year, get drafted but we’ll just wait and see what happens with that.”
Working on… “Probably just that contested marking if I want to go down back or if I want to go up forward. “Just being able to be that player who can run and crash a few packs like Kaine Baldwin and take some big marks, that’d be pretty cool.”

SCOUTING NOTES:
The potential Adelaide father-son has composure beyond his years and looks a versatile type. Starting in his usual half-back role, Edwards showed great poise in his disposal coming out of defence and worked hard to impact the play further afield once he had released the ball himself.
His intercept marking game was also sound, reading the ball well in flight to get in the right position on defensive wing. He is the accumulating type in the backline, but looks a different player once thrown into the midfield with his strong hands and frame allowing him to play that inside game.
Adelaide fans would want to be keeping the potential father-son’s progress on the down-low, but he keeps on showing good signs of form. Edwards’ quick and clean hands in congestion were outstanding, flicking the ball out effectively to his runners and staying strong through the hips under tackling pressure.
He looked at home through the midfield but also chimed in down back with some rebounding kicks and showed good penetration when going long.
One of few bottom-agers in the SA squad but was again impressive in spurts. He found a spot in the back six throughout the carnival, but will become a good midfielder in time with his clean hands and strong frame.
Edwards had a shaky moment early with a pretty bad turnover by foot on defensive wing, but would make amends later in the game with some clean gathers off the deck and improved composure inside defensive 50 as the game wore on.
The son of former Adelaide champion Tyson, Luke is a potential father-son option for next year, but speculation continues to grow that he may opt to nominate for the open draft.
He again found himself behind the ball on Friday, intercepting, rebounding and often starting dangerous scoring chains. He took an excellent intercept mark in the third term which set up a goal for his team at a vital time.
At 187cm he is a good size which allows him to compete strongly one-on-one against the top-aged boys. With 18 disposals, Edwards had no issues finding the football.
He generally used it well, playing across half-back (at times stationing himself in ‘the hole’ in-front of the key forwards) and also in an inside midfield role. Dribbled home a goal in the third term in an attempt to kickstart SA after half-time.
Who’s the other 1

Edwards looking good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 874643

PLAYER PAGE:
Luke Edwards

QUOTES FROM PRE-SEASON:
Preferred position…

SCOUTING NOTES:
Edwards and Baldwin?

Yes to Edwards. We better not have shot our selves in the foot in keeping him. Personally I think he will go between 10-20. Like his classy play the most.

Baldwin Adelaide needs to upgrade GWS first somehow to get him. Potentially trade second rounder or a player.

Top priority should be Thilthorpe.

Edwards and Baldwin?

Yes to Edwards. We better not have shot our selves in the foot in keeping him. Personally I think he will go between 10-20. Like his classy play the most.

Baldwin Adelaide needs to upgrade GWS first somehow to get him. Potentially trade second rounder or a player.

Top priority should be Thilthorpe.

Would love to get Thilthorpe and Baldwin, especially if Edwards comes as a FS.

Baldwin will be interesting. He’s what 18 or so months without playing any footy. Will he get enough exposure for clubs to take a punt early? Could slip a bit, which might be in our favor, similar to Lever. Might not too.

Would love to have him but would have Thilthorpe as top priority.
If Brad Crouch leaves and Adelaide gets a Pick straight after first rounder than decision becomes easy.

In that scenario list cut would have to be deep.
5-6 draftees.

Whether it’s through Brad leaving, or as Ogilvy mooted before last years draft, through trading our future 1st, I think we need to go hard at this years 1st round. We’ve pussy footed around doing it the last few years, seemingly settibb ourselves up for a strong haul, but ending up trading back, stockpiling future picks instead.

At some point we need to cash in.

Given the relative lack of exposure for draft picks this year, clubs may devalue 1st rounders to an extent, due to increased risk. A bold list management team might find significant value in making the most of this. Although I suspect clubs are well prepared enough to be not too worried in this regard.

Would love to get Thilthorpe and Baldwin, especially if Edwards comes as a FS.

Baldwin will be interesting. He’s what 18 or so months without playing any footy. Will he get enough exposure for clubs to take a punt early? Could slip a bit, which might be in our favor, similar to Lever. Might not too.
If anyone slips it's more likely to be Elijah Hollands who did an ACL late in the pre-season [February 2020] while Baldwin is fully recovered from what I've heard and ready to go as soon as footy resumes. Tested quite impressively at the AFL U18 Pre-season testing.

Agility: 8.54 seconds (Above Average)
Running Vertical Jump: 77cm (Above Average)
Endurance: 20.8 (Average)

If anyone slips it's more likely to be Elijah Hollands who did an ACL late in the pre-season [February 2020] while Baldwin is fully recovered from what I've heard and ready to go as soon as footy resumes. Tested quite impressively at the AFL U18 Pre-season testing.

Baldwin sounds like a player. Ideal CHF type with a strong contested mark and up the ground appetite making him ideal Tex replacement in 2 years time.
Put Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Baldwin together up forward alonside Newchurch, Dudley (2021 draft) and whoever develops best out of Murphy, Davis, McAdam and Stengle.. 2017 forward line got nothing on this!

Yes Im always biased about SA talent but Thilthorpe will likely be in our draft range, Baldwin achievable through trade, Edwards FS, Newchurch and even Borlase getting good wraps.. could be a great draft if we are aggressive. As much as I want Jones and McHenry to succeed, missed a beat with Rozee.

Baldwin sounds like a player. Ideal CHF type with a strong contested mark and up the ground appetite making him ideal Tex replacement in 2 years time.
Put Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Baldwin together up forward alonside Newchurch, Dudley (2021 draft) and whoever develops best out of Murphy, Davis, McAdam and Stengle.. 2017 forward line got nothing on this!

Yes Im always biased about SA talent but Thilthorpe will likely be in our draft range, Baldwin achievable through trade, Edwards FS, Newchurch and even Borlase getting good wraps.. could be a great draft if we are aggressive. As much as I want Jones and McHenry to succeed, missed a beat with Rozee.

I do think as a club, who's roots are essentially as a pseudo state of origin side, we need to work harder and be more innovative in finding ways to get SA origin talent on our list.

It'll be interesting also to see if COVID forces clubs to look closer to home with their picks. Its my understanding that, including salary, it effectively costs the club twice as much to recruit an interstate player. I'm not sure if the club ends up fronting this or the AFL, and whether it comes out of soft cap. I suspect it won't change, but might be interesting to keep an eye on.

Geez there's been a few ACL's in this crop already :eek:

Gooch OOC at the end of this season? Should he be worried of being cut with smaller list sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back