Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know, I know, very early but there’s a decent article from Twomey with players to watch, including Edwards. Also highlights which are tied to Academy players.

I know, I know, very early but there’s a decent article from Twomey with players to watch, including Edwards. Also highlights which are tied to Academy players.

Need to load up with classy midfielder / forwards next year. And Thilthorpe would be nice too.

So out of those 10, 3 are definite academy players and 1 is potentially Adelaide's.

What are some other names linked to clubs?

Let's hope our potential 3 players kill it next year and all turn into first rounders. Ideally next year we'd want to be in a similar position to Freo this year with Henry. Have a high pick before any of our players and then use our stockpile of 2nd and 3rd rounders to get those 3.

So out of those 10, 3 are definite academy players and 1 is potentially Adelaide's.

Let's hope our potential 3 players kill it next year and all turn into first rounders. Ideally next year we'd want to be in a similar position to Freo this year with Henry. Have a high pick before any of our players and then use our stockpile of 2nd and 3rd rounders to get those 3.
It’s actually 4, Ugle-Hagan is Western Bulldogs, it’s in the write up but not listed as one.

Good to get an early start on this.

Only Edwards looks a first round for me think Borlase and Newchurch will be 2nd and 3rd rounders unless something drastic happens
That's fine really, means we get a couple of free swings at some players.

Mind you, much can change in a year. You only have to look at Luke's brother to see that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to read how many people see us as a bottom 4 club on the main board, or even bottom 2.

I don't think we'll be that bad but I'm hoping we can secure a top 6 pick
If Brad is going I hope we finish bottom 4, 2 quality picks on the back of the last 2 years could set us up for a decent run in 2-3 years. If we can keep our players instead of losing them then we can keep it going for a while

Based on Davo-27's Post

F/S & Academy Candidates
GC: ... Davies(A)[1]
Adl: ... Edwards(FS?)[1], Borlase(NGA), Newchurch(NGA)
Fre: ... Western(NGA)
Syd: .. Gulden(A), Campbell(A)[1]
Haw: .. Downie(NGA)
Port: .. Schofield(FS), Burgoyne(FS), Jones(NGA)[2]
WB: ... Ugle-Hagan(NGA)[1], N.Stevens(NGA)
Bris: .. Crozier(A)
Coll: .. McInness(NGA)

Open Candidates
Allies
: .. Callow(TAS)
SA: ...... Tilthorpe[1], Durdin(SA)
VicC: .... Bruhn(Geel)[1], Hollands(Murr)[1], Lazzaro(Geel), Ginnivan(Bend)
VicM: ... Ford, Phillips[1], Clarke(East), Macrae(Oak), Bowey(Sand)
Perkins(Sand)[1], Cox
WA: ..... O'Driscoll, Carroll, McDonald, Grainger-Barrass[1]

[1] 2020 vision: Cal Twomey's 10 young guns to watch
[2] malcolm

Last edited:
Interesting to read how many people see us as a bottom 4 club on the main board, or even bottom 2.

I don't think we'll be that bad but I'm hoping we can secure a top 6 pick
Most would be heavily influenced by Vic media rather than anything resembling genuine list assessment. Combine that with some wanting to see us fail and it's hardly surprising. Zero chance we're bottom 2, we still have a good spine. An injection of youth combined with a new coach with a new game plan and philosophies and we will surprise plenty of people. My thoughts are we hold ground around that 12-14th spot.

Most would be heavily influenced by Vic media rather than anything resembling genuine list assessment. Combine that with some wanting to see us fail and it's hardly surprising. Zero chance we're bottom 2, we still have a good spine. An injection of youth combined with a new coach with a new game plan and philosophies and we will surprise plenty of people. My thoughts are we hold ground around that 12-14th spot.

Yeah I agree, I think 12-14th is reasonable.

The thing that usually determines finishing position is list depth. What are the bottom 6 players in the team like, how much cover is there for injury, etc.

The clubs where I see that being a problem are Gold Coast, Fremantle and Sydney. All of those teams have poor depth and a smaller than average collection of experienced top talent. I'd also throw North Melbourne in that group because their list is just bog average all over.

I'd have us in the next group though, along with Carlton, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, Melbourne and St Kilda.

Is he tied to us?
Nope he's from up Albury-Wadonga way...You should remember his father Ben Hollands who played for Richmond then went over to Adelaide and played for West Adelaide in the SANFL and starred for them and SA in the interstate games. Kid is an absolute gun! He and Tanner Bruhn who is also a very, very good cricketer but didn't play much this year with injuries has all the traits of a future star as does inside mid Will Phillips.

A clever little forward from SA Cory Durdin might be the next small forward to go in the 1st round on the ability and promise he's shown right through the junior ranks.

Not much sense talking about who to get this far out, but having said that Hollands looks the type we’ve been hoping for for years.

Getting him and maybe Thilthorpe, then matching a bid for Edwards, would go a long way to filing the gaps of our future midfield.

Yeah I agree, I think 12-14th is reasonable.

The thing that usually determines finishing position is list depth. What are the bottom 6 players in the team like, how much cover is there for injury, etc.

The clubs where I see that being a problem are Gold Coast, Fremantle and Sydney. All of those teams have poor depth and a smaller than average collection of experienced top talent. I'd also throw North Melbourne in that group because their list is just bog average all over.

I'd have us in the next group though, along with Carlton, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, Melbourne and St Kilda.

Good run with injuries in comparison to other teams mentioned: 10-14
Poor run with injuries in comparison to other teams mentioned: 15-16

Unfortunately, think Carlton and Hawthorn have gone past us, we sit in the group with Port, Sydney, Freo.

North and GC should finish below us.

Melbourne and Saints are difficult to read.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nope he's from up Albury-Wadonga way...You should remember his father Ben Hollands who played for Richmond then went over to Adelaide and played for West Adelaide in the SANFL and starred for them and SA in the interstate games. Kid is an absolute gun! He and Tanner Bruhn who is also a very, very good cricketer but didn't play much this year with injuries has all the traits of a future star as does inside mid Will Phillips.

A clever little forward from SA Cory Durdin might be the next small forward to go in the 1st round on the ability and promise he's shown right through the junior ranks.
Have you got your thoughts on a few names that will be in contention for pick 1 next year ??

We need speed speed speed speed speed.

Don’t address any other position on the field, just draft 12 really really fast kids.

Edwards, yes seeing he's expected to be a first-rounder, that ship has sailed. I hope Borlace, and Newchurch show enough signs to say they have a very bright future, but end up settling in the 2nd round group.

After all, we do need to have the points to get them, and three first-rounders might end up being nearly impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back