Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on Davo-27's Post

F/S & Academy Candidates
GC: ... Davies(A)[1]
Adl: ... Edwards(FS?)[1], Borlase(NGA), Newchurch(NGA)
Fre: ... Western(NGA)
Syd: .. Gulden(A), Campbell(A)[1]
Haw: .. Downie(NGA)
Port: .. Schofield(FS)
WB: ... Ugle-Hagan(NGA)[1], N.Stevens(NGA)
Bris: .. Crozier(A)
Coll: .. McInness(NGA)

Open Candidates
Allies
: .. Callow(TAS)
SA: ...... Tilthorpe[1], Durdin(SA)
VicC: .... Bruhn(Geel)[1], Hollands(Murr)[1], Lazzaro(Geel), Ginnivan(Bend)
VicM: ... Ford, Phillips[1], Clarke(East), Macrae(Oak), Bowey(Sand)
Perkins(Sand)[1], Cox
WA: ..... O'Driscoll, Carroll, McDonald, Grainger-Barrass[1]

[1] 2020 vision: Cal Twomey's 10 young guns to watch

Port have 3 F/S & Academy in 2020 - all played in the under 18 GF:
Taj Schofield
Jase Burgoyne (son of Peter)
Lachlan Jones (indigenous from Yorke Peninsula)

Gooch like a few ( Fog) were probably was a result of our master plan to play the oldies regardless. Even in the SANFL we played midfields Sauce, Gibbs. Douglas etc. We needed to be pushing the younger players into the major positional roles.
Yeah, I agree. It's Gallucci's last year unless it clicks for him, but that can only happen if we stop playing him in secondary roles and let him actually influence the game.

Gallucci couldn’t even get 15 touches a game in the second half of the year in the SANFL and I’m sick of people on here continually pumping his tyres. Tom Hutchesson who GWS drafted and say they drafted him to play straight away as he is 24 made Galluci look second rate on the field in games I watched .
Gallucci was pretty average in the 2's later in season.

I think what pisses me off, and maybe a few other posters, is that he was on fire prior to being injured just before halftime in the last Showdown. Yet it seems he was 1 of the players thrown under the bus by the match committee afterwards

Pyke, Campo and Burton lost the plot after the bye round

I think what pisses me off, and maybe a few other posters, is that he was on fire prior to being injured just before halftime in the last Showdown. Yet it seems he was 1 of the players thrown under the bus by the match committee afterwards

Yep , same as when his form was good in 2018 and then found himself on the outer for the DougKay duo .
Give him the first 6-8 games in the right role come 2020 .... High Half Forward with midfield bursts and then assess on output .
Dropping the head is not great but we have wasted him more than he has wasted himself .

Last edited:
Uh oh - I wonder if wayne has you on ignore by now

WOW Bicks .....how early to start this, 2019 season hasn't started yet

Wake me up in August

sleep-1.gif

Probably these 5 would head up my list at this point, most would think that's a bit high for Macrae and Bruhn especially but I really rate them, Bruhn just needs to be injury free and fit and then I think he will elevate up the rankings.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Athletic Key Forward - Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country [W. Bulldogs]
Will Phillips - Inside mid - Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Alex Davies - Balanced Mid - Manunda Hawks/Cairns - Allies [Gold Coast Suns]
Elijah Hollands - Mid/forward - Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
Finlay Macrae - Inside/outside mid - Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Tanner Bruhn - Balanced Mid - Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
Riley Thilthorpe?

It’s funny seeing Cal’s ‘10 to watch’ article every year. Looking back on previous years, it always looks like 4-5 of those mentioned live up to the top 10 potential, 3-4 slide to the 20’s and 30’s, and 1-2 end up being taken late or in the rookie draft. Big sliders were Taheny and Jeka this year

Wonder who next year’s sliders are going to be...

It’s funny seeing Cal’s ‘10 to watch’ article every year. Looking back on previous years, it always looks like 4-5 of those mentioned live up to the top 10 potential, 3-4 slide to the 20’s and 30’s, and 1-2 end up being taken late or in the rookie draft. Big sliders were Taheny and Jeka this year

Wonder who next year’s sliders are going to be...
Tanner Bruhn I hope....he can slide all he likes as long as it's to us. Only worry is him choosing cricket over footy, he's a gun at both sports.

I was hoping he was a smoky for next year given he hardly played this season but I guess getting selected for the All Stars game was a giveaway.

Here's the U16's ALL Australian team from 2018's Championships - probably the starting point for next year's draft.

POCKET PROFILES

DEFENDERS

Brandon Walker (Western Australia):
Rebounding medium defender who is a smart footballer and is an effective kick. Averaged 13.3 disposals at 75 per cent efficiency throughout the carnival. Walker is eligible for the Fremantle Dockers as a Next-Generation Academy member.

Denver Granger-Barras (Western Australia): Key position defender who is a tough player to be against in a one-on-one contest. Granger-Barras has the ability to find the football and gets the ball moving forward with multiple effective rebounds. Averaged 13.7 disposals, 5.3 marks and 6.0 rebound 50s throughout the carnival.

Sam Collins (Tasmania): The Tasmanian 186cm defender was one of the standout players in Division Two, with Collins averaging 18.3 disposals, 7.0 marks and 6.3 rebound 50s. The Tasmanian co-captain won their MVP award, after performing exceptionally well in defensive 50 where he was able to intercept multiple opposition attacks.

Braeden Campbell (NSW/ACT): The left footed Sydney Swans Academy member was an effective kick in the defensive half of the ground for NSW/ACT in the Division Two championships. Campbell averaged 19.3 disposals at 74 per cent efficiency, making good decisions with ball in hand.

Ethan Baxter (Vic Country): The mobile tall defender was one of Vic Country’s shining lights in a poor carnival that saw them not win a single game. Baxter is a strong mark overhead and competes well in one-on-one contests.

Jye Sinderberry (South Australia): Medium defender who makes his disposals count, hitting targets with ease. Sinderberry averaged 10.3 disposals at 72 per cent efficiency throughout the championships. The West Adelaide defender was impressive in South Australia’s win over Vic Metro with 12 disposals and seven rebound 50s.

RUCKMAN

Riley Thilthorpe (South Australia):
198cm ruckman Thilthorpe averaged 21.3 hit outs during the Under 18 Championships. The tall is a good mark overhead, averaging 5.0 marks for the carnival and has the ability to find the football around the ground.

MIDFIELDERS

Will Phillips (Vic Metro):
The Vic Metro midfielder was the leading disposal winner for the carnival, averaging 27.7 disposals (15.7 contested) and four tackles. Phillips has a good footy IQ and has quick and clean hands in the contest. He was Vic Metro’s MVP and had a big 32 disposals, seven clearance and two goal game against eventual champions South Australia.

Tanner Bruhn (Vic Country): The Vic Country MVP was a standout player possessing good game sense and has strong skills. The 180cm midfielder averaged 17.3 disposals, 6.3 tackles and 3.7 marks for the carnival.

Luke Edwards (South Australia): The son of Adelaide Crows great Tyson was a consistent performer for South Australia. Edwards is eligible to join the Crows as a father-son prospect in 2020 and the composed midfielder makes good decisions with ball in hand. Edwards averaged 16.3 disposals (10.3 contested), six tackles and 2.7 clearances during the championships.

Zane Trew (Western Australia): The WA midfielder is willing to crack in hard at the stoppages and possesses clean hands. Trew is a good decision maker and averaged 18.7 disposals (9.7 contested), 4.3 clearances and 3.7 tackles.

Corey Durdin (South Australia): Durdin was the standout player across the entire competition, winning the Kevin Sheehan Medal as the best player in Division One. The 172cm midfielder has good speed and agility, and was the standout player for South Australia winning their MVP. Durdin averaged 19.7 disposals and 2.7 clearances.

FORWARDS

Elijah Hollands (Vic Country):
The son of forward Richmond player Ben showed his class in the attacking half of the ground. The left footer is a strong mark and possesses good speed and agility. Hollands averaged 14.3 disposals, 3.7 marks and 2.3 tackles for Vic Country.

Kaine Baldwin (South Australia): The strong bodied 192cm key forward was outstanding in one-on-one battles against his opponents during the carnival. Baldwin averaged 15 disposals, 6.7 marks and two goals during the carnival.

Errol Gulden (NSW/ACT): Gulden was the best player in Division Two, winning the Allan McLean Medal. The Sydney Swans Academy prospect is a strong ball winner and has a strong footy IQ. The left footed 172cm midfielder averaged 31.7 disposals, 5.7 tackles, 4.7 clearances and two goals throughout the championships.

Taj Schofield (Western Australia): The son of Port Adelaide 2004 premiership player Jarrod was an outstanding performer for Western Australia. Schofield is eligible to join the Power in 2020 and the small forward/midfielder is a clean ball user by hand and foot. Schofield averaged 17 disposals and 4.7 tackles for the carnival.

Logan McDonald (Western Australia): Tall forward McDonald was a mainstay inside 50 for Western Australia, clunking multiple overhead marks. McDonald booted a big bag of six goals against Vic Metro, averaging 10.3 disposals, five marks and three goals throughout the entire championships.

Jackson Callow (Tasmania): The Tasmanian tall forward is a strong mark and was rarely beaten inside 50 in Division Two. Callow averaged 12.7 disposals, 8.7 marks and 3.3 goals for the championships.

INTERCHANGE

Alex Davies (Queensland):
The Gold Coast Suns Academy member is an exceptional player at the stoppages, where he can use his quick and clean hands to effectiveness. Davies averaged 18.7 disposals (14.7 contested), 6.7 clearances and four tackles as one of Queensland’s best players in Division Two.

Nathan O’Driscoll (Western Australia): The 181cm medium defender is a good intercept mark and has the ability to win one-on-one battles. O’Driscoll averaged 17 disposals and three marks for WA.

Oliver Davis (Tasmania): The Tasmanian midfielder is a dual-sport athlete, representing his state in soccer. Davis cracks in hard at the contest and is willing to tackle hard to win the ball back. Davis averaged 20.7 disposals (12.0 contested), 6.7 clearances and 6.0 tackles for the Division Two.

Malcolm Ross (Northern Territory): The NT small forward was an excitement package throughout the carnival, where he showed off his lightening speed. Ross averaged 18 disposals, 4.5 inside 50s and four tackles in Division Two.

Campbell Edwards (Vic Metro): Versatile tall that has the ability to play at both ends of the ground. The left footer is a smart ball user and was impressive in Vic Metro’s final game of the carnival against South Australia, with 12 disposals, three marks and two goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On fire? That game gets better every time we tell the story

He had 4 possessions - 0 contested. 9 pressure acts. 1 tackle. He was mostly invisible offensively and defensively.

I say this as someone who still has hopes for Gallucci. But at that time he definitely deserved to be dropped, and deserved to stay at SANFL level afterwards.

On fire? That game gets better every time we tell the story

He had 4 possessions - 0 contested. 9 pressure acts. 1 tackle. He was mostly invisible offensively and defensively.

I say this as someone who still has hopes for Gallucci. But at that time he definitely deserved to be dropped, and deserved to stay at SANFL level afterwards.
True .. but he wasn't s**t, particularly in comparison to some of the performances of usual suspects

We should be able to do 3 r1's easily enough given the start we already have and that we can carry pick #18's worth of points into 2021 if necessary. The thing we need to do is try to upgrade our r2/r3 picks into higher value picks otherwise we'll need to find 6 or more empty list spots to use all the picks we hold.

If we finish really low, we might even be able to draft a top line player before have to match any bids on our players - and we could help ourselves by bidding on other clubs' FS/NGA players to make them use up their r1 picks.
Good point with the list spots. I guess we can delist some of our players and pick them up as rookies at years end eg the last 2 kids we picked up this year. Also McKay (retire), knights , Atkins , hartigan, poholke, Gooch would want to show something or they’ll be on the trade table . There’s 8 list spots right there

Good point with the list spots. I guess we can delist some of our players and pick them up as rookies at years end eg the last 2 kids we picked up this year. Also McKay (retire), knights , Atkins , hartigan, poholke, Gooch would want to show something or they’ll be on the trade table . There’s 8 list spots right there
Trouble is we have Butts, Strachan, Wilson and now Crocker & Keays also on our rookie list.

it will be Wilson’s last year (already had 2) and I suspect one of Crocker or Keays won’t be there.
Butts also might be upgraded, depending on if he gets AFL game time

I doubt all of those guys will be delisted though, Gallucci and Atkins probably get interest from other clubs. Hartigan might receive a dead man walking 1 year contract, too

You can play as many AFL games as you like from the rookie list, so unlikely he does. Wouldn't be until the end of 2020.
Could do, Murphy got upgraded a year early (although that was after becoming a regular in our side)

Probably makes most sense cap-wise, unless we think Butts deserves a pay-rise, to keep him as a rookie for as long as we can

Looking at Lore's 2020 draft points document you can see we're going to be in a dominant position next year.

Let's say ADL finish 14th, GWS finish 4th, WB finish 6th.

We'd potentially have:

Pick 5
Pick 6 (Brad Crouch compensation)
Pick 15 (GWS)

If this happened we'd be able to take a player at 5, a player at 6, and then try to upgrade pick 15 to try and get ahead of the jackson bid. This might be a real possibility on the night with a heap of teams probably having to trade out their first rounder while they're on the clock matching bids.

Eg. when WB are on the clock matching Ugle-Hagen we could trade for 13 with our arsenal of picks, then move 13 and 15 up into a pick 8 kind of range.

Thilthorpe, 6, 8, Jackson, Borlase.

We might actually get an A+ in VIC media. Probably not.

Looking at Lore's 2020 draft points document you can see we're going to be in a dominant position next year.

Let's say ADL finish 14th, GWS finish 4th, WB finish 6th.

We'd potentially have:

Pick 5
Pick 6 (Brad Crouch compensation)
Pick 15 (GWS)

If this happened we'd be able to take a player at 5, a player at 6, and then try to upgrade pick 15 to try and get ahead of the jackson bid. This might be a real possibility on the night with a heap of teams probably having to trade out their first rounder while they're on the clock matching bids.

Eg. when WB are on the clock matching Ugle-Hagen we could trade for 13 with our arsenal of picks, then move 13 and 15 up into a pick 8 kind of range.

Thilthorpe, 6, 8, Jackson, Borlase.

We might actually get an A+ in VIC media. Probably not.
I don't get why people are so keen to walk Brad Crouch out the door befote he's even kicked a ball in a game yet in 2020.

Has he not said he wants to stay?

Can someone explain why he shouldn't be able to build on his 2019 season which was pretty bloody decent until he ran out of petrol tickets later in the season with a another hopefully uneventful full pre-season under his belt? He was clearly our best mid across season 2019 and I would expect with the extra fitness he should build over this pre-season I'd reasonably expect he'll get even better this season now his groin and feet issues are looking behind him.

I don't get why people are so keen to walk Brad Crouch out the door befote he's even kicked a ball in a game yet in 2020.

Has he not said he wants to stay?

Can someone explain why he shouldn't be able to build on his 2019 season which was pretty bloody decent until he ran out of petrol tickets later in the season with a another hopefully uneventful full pre-season under his belt? He was clearly our best mid across season 2019 and I would expect with the extra fitness he should build over this pre-season I'd reasonably expect he'll get even better this season now his groin and feet issues are looking behind him.
Personally, I want to him stay. I'm also starting to find it irritating that posters are selling him off or expecting him to leave. Also agree that he still has upside

The club has a great draft hand already next year without trying to push him out the door

And on the other hand Pooort, for example, may need to off load Wines and/or SPP in the hope of taking just 1 first round pick to the draft ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back