Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twomey’s article on the first round in the Draft
“After the mid-year national carnival, recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie and backman Andy Otten had taken McAsey, fresh off winning Vic Metro's MVP award, out to a Greek restaurant in Brighton, picking his brain and getting his head around a possible move to South Australia.”

and

“Geelong now had a decision to make. Clubs were still coming for its pick 16 – Adelaide had offered its two early second-round picks as a swap for that choice and the Cats' fourth pick “

“After the mid-year national carnival, recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie and backman Andy Otten had taken McAsey, fresh off winning Vic Metro's MVP award, out to a Greek restaurant in Brighton, picking his brain and getting his head around a possible move to South Australia.”

and

“Geelong now had a decision to make. Clubs were still coming for its pick 16 – Adelaide had offered its two early second-round picks as a swap for that choice and the Cats' fourth pick “

Seeing how the draft played out, I'm much happier we kept our two seconds instead of moving up to 16

and

But, but, but Hamish had a "hard on" for Dylan Stephens, another Big Footy myth busted.

Would be interesting if the move was for Kemp

Would we rather Kemp, or Worrell and Schoenberg? Tough question as I love Kemp, but we got great value from our two picks
I think I'd have taken Kemp over Scheonberg...but who would have had had with the later pick? Worrell was a steal IMO

Would be interesting if the move was for Kemp

Would we rather Kemp, or Worrell and Schoenberg? Tough question as I love Kemp, but we got great value from our two picks
Cooper Stephens probably, why it was no go with Geelong.

Reading that too we might have taken Deven Robertson and not Schoenberg if we'd been able to entice Port to part with their pick?

Reading that too we might have taken Deven Robertson and not Schoenberg if we'd been able to entice Port to part with their pick?
Shoenberg seems to have some great speed from a contest and attacks it hard, I am thinking we are not losing much by missing Robertson and getting Shoenberg?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah seems that way, I think we would've loved Robertson but weren't willing to completely lose out on a deal to get him as we still rated Schoenberg highly

Guessing we baulked at the two 2nds price it would've cost for Robertson

Shoenberg seems to have some great speed from a contest and attacks it hard, I am thinking we are not losing much by missing Robertson and getting Shoenberg?
Given we picked a mid in Schoenberg I would think it would have been Robertson or Dow the way the draft panned out.....Dow is much quicker than both and likely has a fair bit more upside to come than both Robertson and Schoenberg who are both well developed body wise already. Personally I'd have taken both before Schoenberg and that's not saying Schoenberg wasn't a decent pick at where we took him.

and

Must have been for C Stephens, Kemp, Georgiades or De Koning.

Surely someone must have been gunning for Georgiades for Port to take him with their second pick instead of their third.

Must have been for C Stephens, Kemp, Georgiades or De Koning.

Surely someone must have been gunning for Georgiades for Port to take him with their second pick instead of their third.
Geelong were reported to be big fans of Georgiades and they had the next pick.

Given we picked a mid in Schoenberg I would think it would have been Robertson or Dow the way the draft panned out.....Dow is much quicker than both and likely has a fair bit more upside to come than both Robertson and Schoenberg who are both well developed body wise already. Personally I'd have taken both before Schoenberg and that's not saying Schoenberg wasn't a decent pick at where we took him.

Whoever they wanted must have been pretty good to give up Worrall and Schoenberg for. Having said that I doubt at the time they were trying to make the trade they thought Worrall would still be available.

Oooohhh ... That's controversial ....don't agree.... Dow is still problematical about being more than a servicable player ....his brother has struggled to make a real impact so far

Oooohhh ... That's controversial ....don't agree.... Dow is still problematical about being more than a servicable player ....his brother has struggled to make a real impact so far
He had a decent first year but his kicking has been utterly terrible ever since. I know second year blues is a thing but I don't think I can remember seeing a players skills drop off so noticeably.

He had a decent first year but his kicking has been utterly terrible ever since. I know second year blues is a thing but I don't think I can remember seeing a players skills drop off so noticeably.
He's just not in the discussion about Blues players of the future .....still fairly slight, he hasn't broad shoulders

1575527584556.png

It's a really strange dropoff, was a very damaging player in his junior year, his kicking was a little suspect (good when given space, though), but he's not near the best Carlton prospect right now

Thomson still has those basic traits that you want from a potentially really damaging inside mid - clean in the contest, can go forward, good overhead, agile... can see why Richmond took him, had him in my top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back