List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that there is no draft this year. Word is it is highly unlikely any form of NAB League will be played in 2020. List sizes reduced going forward is going to leave a number of players without clubs so the need to top up lists with draftees may not exist. I think there is every chance the 2020 draft will be canceled. There are a number of problems for this year's draft and next years' if things are not changed. Drafting players with no real exposed form as 18 yo is risky, and the 17 yo bottom agers will have no real form guide for 2021. Good luck using their 16 yo form as a guide for their u/18 year. It is looking likely the draft age may rise to 19. There are supporters for it in clubland, and two with AFL ties being Brad Scott and Paul Roos. The time to do it is now given all the variables as this results in the draft maintaining some semblance of integrity whilst not disadvantaging any players. This is one of the areas that are really intriguing as to how it may play out.

Think 19 is an awful idea as it will make players choose between work and sport. Many potential AFL players will give up between 18 and 19 as they start going to university or go to work.

Think 19 is an awful idea as it will make players choose between work and sport. Many potential AFL players will give up between 18 and 19 as they start going to university or go to work.
Means the state leagues should get an influx of younger kids while the players get a year of Uni/life under their belt before joining the league. I wouldn't mind if they increased it to 21.

Means the state leagues should get an influx of younger kids while the players get a year of Uni/life under their belt before joining the league. I wouldn't mind if they increased it to 21.

An AFL players career is short enough and there are many midfielders every draft whomare AFL ready at 18. Could you really tell guys like Walsh, Heaney and a lot of others that they need to wait another year and lose a full year of their already short careers?

Id like to start a thread 'opportunity to re-structure the AFL' .. dont know how to do it?
Keen to hear peoples opinion on .. list sizes, game time, amount of games, national reserve comp, draft age, etc, etc.
The AFL have a great opportunity to fix imperfections this year.

There are a number in the u18s who balance both now....There is one aspect I like and that is with no school footy to compete with, the Nab League sees the best prospects play each other every week. A much better form gauge than now

An AFL players career is short enough and there are many midfielders every draft whomare AFL ready at 18. Could you really tell guys like Walsh, Heaney and a lot of others that they need to wait another year and lose a full year of their already short careers?
I don’t think 18 or19 really impacts that....if they persist with 16 minute quarters players might play to 40 !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Viney doesn't impress me.
we are not in the space to trade in great players. we are still rebuilding. we have a very young list. why waste money on fringe players. i trust in sydney swans recruiting team. they are not considering Viney. i hope. give it 2-3 years and players will be wanting to be a swan and then we will be in the market for top players

not one junior has impressed me this year yet

Fair enough as hard to get a gauge without expose u18 form.

Hollands was good prior to injury, Thilthorpe as well.

Some interesting tall talents like Baldwin, Reid, DGB and McDonald

Dropped as captain and would be moveable imo. Better player than some here are giving credit after a couple of seasons of foot issues. Would walk into our side.

Too expensive period. He’d be costing a very high first rounder at a minimum

Too expensive period. He’d be costing a very high first rounder at a minimum
Not now.... Footballers values are dropping quicker than Flight Centre shares at the moment. We may go through a period like the NRL did post Super League where salaries took a big dip....sure that is going to happen here...

Not now.... Footballers values are dropping quicker than Flight Centre shares at the moment. We may go through a period like the NRL did post Super League where salaries took a big dip....sure that is going to happen here...

It isn’t as if Viney will drop value in terms of what we’d have to give up in draft capital

Looking our recruiting in first two rounds from 2014 to present.

2014: Heeney, Rose, Hiscox
2015: Mills
2016: Florent, Hayward
2017: Ling, McCartin
2018: Blakey, Rowbottom,
2019: Stephens, Gould, Taylor, Warner

Largely mids. Smattering of fwds.

Hoping that we look at getting KPF/KPD for first round pick, especially in we have a top 5/10 pick this year.

Also outside of our shennigans pick, decent drafting.

Sadly looks like our good drafting in the 40s being done with Mcinerney, Cameron and Maibaum the only players being drafted over that time.

Last hits in the 40s been Membrey and AA in 2012 and 2013 respectively

Hoping that we look at getting KPF/KPD for first round pick, especially in we have a top 5/10 pick this year.

Sadly looks like our good drafting in the 40s being done with Mcinerney, Cameron and Maibaum the only players being drafted over that time.

Best available at our live pick. I’d personally go small anyway but maybe a taller side mid as we have Campbell and Gulden coming as well.

I agree re going for a key forward (good defenders can be found anywhere in the draft). But if a Hollands or a Phillips was somehow still available at our pick, would you really turn them down?

I agree re going for a key forward (good defenders can be found anywhere in the draft). But if a Hollands or a Phillips was somehow still available at our pick, would you really turn them down?

Agree has to be best available to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back