List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Watch

Looking forward to seeing mills become a KD a beating the likes of Kennedy, jr , brown etc etc

Will be watching closely

Mills came top five in the B&F playing in a mostly contested role last year. His best stretch of form came after the bye when Aliir was moved into the ruck and Mills stepped up to take the second-best forward every week, including blokes bigger than him. And this as a 22 year old. I think many will be surprised at how the coaches will back him in to handle the tougher jobs as he progresses throughout his career, particularly when the more typical key-defender sized guys (like Gould, Dawson etc) will be in more attacking roles because of their assets of run and ball use that Mills doesn't offer.

I could be wrong and will happily admit it (in fact I hope I am as I'd rather us have picked up a big 195cm unit like Reg by then), but it's just my prediction.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Theres a young very tall, very quick, very mobile and very competitive irishman on our list at the moment. Who knows where he'll be 3ish years from now when Rampe retires.
Hopefully reduced list sizes enables him to still get a game and develop

I can't believe we've only played 1 game and there's a draft thread , it's strange times.

None of these players have even played this year

It's unlikely, but there might not even be a draft

None of these players have even played this year

It's unlikely, but there might not even be a draft

There will be a draft! Recruiters do work for years on players, their draft year only is a small factor in where they go. Recruiters would know every player they are interested in basically.

Still think there is going to be a draft as this year's crop have to play somewhere next year? can't really leave them in the under 18s

In a way also the AFL has been "lucky" in that this year was always going to be the most compromised draft since the GWS/GC drafts with all the FS and Academy selections anyway. A lot of clubs have trade out their first rounders.

There will be a draft! Recruiters do work for years on players, their draft year only is a small factor in where they go. Recruiters would know every player they are interested in basically.
Their draft year is much more important than that......Paul Hamilton said recently there is no word on the draft, did not confirm a draft going ahead nor no draft happening.... this was on a webinar to NAB League teams.

Their draft year is much more important than that......Paul Hamilton said recently there is no word on the draft, did not confirm a draft going ahead nor no draft happening.... this was on a webinar to NAB League teams.

They would still have pages of data and videos of their u17, u16 and under 15 seasons. It will go ahead, in what form who knows. Luckily this year it's compromised anyway so there's less live picks to worry about anyway.

They would still have pages of data and videos of their u17, u16 and under 15 seasons. It will go ahead, in what form who knows. Luckily this year it's compromised anyway so there are less live picks to worry about anyway.

They would have a fair amount of data, still, bottom age and previous age form is only a snapshot of their abilities (and the abilities of those around them) at that time, the form needs to be franked through a strong u18 year. Clubs are not so keen to draft under a circumstance that provides no u18 form measure. The main hope is that the u18 leagues around the country get to play some kind of season, be it 5 or 6 games, you may then get something out of it for all the players. Just because a player is aligned to a club through an NGA selection is no guarantee the player gets picked up so I can't see anything lucky about the year and the way it is unfolding. Going forward it's fair to say there is no guarantee of anything and the AFL themself has stated that.....for example, you cant draft in a player if there are no list spots so depending on what the AFL does with list sizes, might well dictate what happens with a draft. It might be we don't have a draft until the middle of 2021?

Who knows, all we know is nothing is certain.

Has been a groundswell for some time to push the draft age out to 19 but AFL couldn't bring it about. Now they've got this unlikely chance to cancel the draft, create an U19 comp next year and have next years draft with more developed depth as late bloomers get an extra year to shine.

No draft will also help with the reduction in list size, clubs will only need to cut say 6-8 players to get their list size down as they won't have to create extra space for 2-3 draftees, most of who would only play limited games next year anyway.

AFL is nuts if they don't take this opportunity to separate draftees from have to compete in U18 comp, U18 Championships, private school footy and Year 12 exams. We'll end up drafting more physically and mentally mature players with hopefully less homesickness.

On a separate note, AFL must impose a hard cap on footy dept spending but I note that our old friend Eddie is already threatening the AFL if they bring it in. Time for Head Office to grow some gonads and tell fat face to ........

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I knew you'd know.
1586854870332.png

When you look at our list and ive categorized it into 4 bits
Backs-Orange
Mids-Green
Rucks_Yellow
Forwards-Blue

In the middle i have listed all those out of contract. And highlited those in yellow that are probably high on the list to be cut. just my opinion.

The backs
Thurlow will be cut for sure
Stoddardt and Fox are in he sights. Not that they are a problem though. Its not like they have done anything wrong.
Foot and Clarke may be vying for one spot
Ling hasn't had opportunity and may hold his place. is he more wing.
Would love a McAsey at pick 5
Draft Trade watch
All positions covered except a gun KPD

The Mids
Need more quality
With Campbell and Gulden we have quality coming in
Plus potentially pick 5

The Rucks
What the ****s
We are very deficient here. hard to fix.

The forwards
We are full. This year
Looking at it no one will be delisted from the forward group this year. (though we still have one full list place available)
Only Gray and Ronke are out of contract. Many of our mids can roll through here too. also i consider heeney a forward. due to our young list he is not. we dont have that luxury
E taylor I hope develops

Traded out
Thurlow
Fox
Stoddart-maybe
Someone else
Rest of the group will survive

I hope we still have pick 5

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
View attachment 857764

Backs-Orange
Mids-Green
Rucks_Yellow
Forwards-Blue

In the middle i have listed all those out of contract. And highlited those in yellow that are probably high on the list to be cut. just my opinion.

The backs
Stoddardt and Fox are in he sights. Not that they are a problem though. Its not like they have done anything wrong.
Draft Trade watch

The Mids
Need more quality
Plus potentially pick 5

The Rucks
What the ****s

The forwards
We are full. This year
Looking at it no one will be delisted from the forward group this year. (though we still have one full list place available)
Only Gray and Ronke are out of contract. Many of our mids can roll through here too. also i consider heeney a forward. due to our young list he is not. we dont have that luxury
E taylor I hope develops

Traded out
Thurlow
Fox
Stoddart-maybe
Someone else

We also seem to be putting more mids into the backline. Rampe, Mills, Dawson, Lloyd. A good thing i think

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Has been a groundswell for some time to push the draft age out to 19 but AFL couldn't bring it about. Now they've got this unlikely chance to cancel the draft, create an U19 comp next year and have next years draft with more developed depth as late bloomers get an extra year to shine.

No draft will also help with the reduction in list size, clubs will only need to cut say 6-8 players to get their list size down as they won't have to create extra space for 2-3 draftees, most of who would only play limited games next year anyway.

AFL is nuts if they don't take this opportunity to separate draftees from have to compete in U18 comp, U18 Championships, private school footy and Year 12 exams. We'll end up drafting more physically and mentally mature players with hopefully less homesickness.

On a separate note, AFL must impose a hard cap on footy dept spending but I note that our old friend Eddie is already threatening the AFL if they bring it in. Time for Head Office to grow some gonads and tell fat face to ........

The AFL can't reduce the size of lists without the agreement of players/AFLPA under the terms of the CBA.

I don't think you'll see the players as a group rushing to vote themselves and fellow teammates out of jobs, in particular the ones at the bottom end of the food chain. The AFL has a better chance of reducing the salary cap and some of the spending rules that govern it (cap floor spending etc) over the remaining period of the CBA then cutting lists sizes that help clubs save money. Any major changes would be put to one side by the players until the next CBA.

But there is no reason not lift the draft age to 19, allows this years draft class to get a full year in the under age system that they would otherwise miss out on and allows clubs to make informed decisions based upon recent information not vision that is over 12 months old. That is placing an unfair burden on the kids if you draft them this year.

View attachment 857764

Backs-Orange
Mids-Green
Rucks_Yellow
Forwards-Blue

The backs
Draft Trade watch

The Mids
Need more quality
Plus potentially pick 5

The Rucks
What the ****s

The forwards
We are full. This year
E taylor I hope develops

Traded out
Thurlow
Fox
Stoddart-maybe
Someone else

So, you really do have too much time on your hands! LOL!!! Is this your version of working from home? :)

Back