List Mgmt. 2020 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Draft Tracker
Honestly, this might not be the worst thing TBH.

Give the Vic kids in particular who missed out a summer to have a pre-season and see who looks likely and snag the best one as a supplementary signing ahead of the season.

Well the draft is pretty fraught as it is. After a full year of U 18's and championships and development the kids are still so underdeveloped and many are busts.

An underage year with no football, the recruiters may well be thinking they need a bit more time to see who will come on over pre season as you say.

there was a write up about Allison who trained his guts out over covid time and increased his endurance (said he concentrated on his 2 k) and he went under 3 seconds for the 20 metre for the first time ever.

So we took a bloke who is 22 and has been playing seniors in the SANFL at a high and consistent rate and a bloke who improved his stats and went up at the combine.

A pattern on our strategy for the kids has emerged or so it seems.

Collingwood cut our lunch and so we decided to pass. Lethlean said, “I was desperate for a Chugg but that will have to wait now”.

Well the draft is pretty fraught as it is. After a full year of U 18's and championships and development the kids are still so underdeveloped and many are busts.

An underage year with no football, the recruiters may well be thinking they need a bit more time to see who will come on over pre season as you say.

there was a write up about Allison who trained his guts out over covid time and increased his endurance (said he concentrated on his 2 k) and he went under 3 seconds for the 20 metre for the first time ever.

So we took a bloke who is 22 and has been playing seniors in the SANFL at a high and consistent rate and a bloke who improved his stats and went up at the combine.

I think there's more to it than we're able to glean from the outside.

No doubt there will be changes in list numbers next year, and I recall that VFL affiliates could essentially list a player that could step into the seniors for match payments only, so now that's a pathway outside the draft process.

Our volume of deadwood is another matter too.
Lethers said that Jweb was called up several times this year only to get injured just prior each time, so he's basically cooked and Highmore is our new backup, which could also explain why Gears is going around again too.

So it's Joyce, Clav, Jimmy, Robbo, Dmac and Gears as guys we couldn't give away if we wanted to.
Then Lonie, Dunny, Paddy, Connolly who might not see another year in RWB.

That's 24 gone in 2 years and another 9 or 10+ that are through or expendable.

I reckon the strategy from here is a simple two prong approach.
1.Get Bing. 2.Get free agents like Jelly. EOS

From this year on we're just padding out the bottom of the list and will churn players for a few years to sift out the gold dust.

there's a view from some pretty cluey football people over here that attitudes within recruitment need to change and they shouldn't be taking on so many raw development prospects. with the view that "that's what the state leagues are for, they are our development pathway, the AFL is about winning games of football"

which tbh with the reduced list size i can see the merit in going with that moving forward. i don't think you can continue to carry these extremely raw project players for 3 years on a rookie list just to see if they can potentially make it at the highest level.

it sucks for some of these seriously green players or ruck prospects that need a good 3-5 years in the system, but i don't see why they can't do that at a state league club?

Last edited:
at a touch under 6ft 4'(1.94m) they are tall enough as key position players - Jack Darling is 1.91m , Charlie Curnrow is 1.92m , Naughton is 1.95m - it all comes down to if they can lead a forward line - Gary Ablett Snr was only 1.85m
Maybe that means we are going to covert them to monster mids?!?! 🤞🏼

I think there's more to it than we're able to glean from the outside.

No doubt there will be changes in list numbers next year, and I recall that VFL affiliates could essentially list a player that could step into the seniors for match payments only, so now that's a pathway outside the draft process.

Our volume of deadwood is another matter too.
Lethers said that Jweb was called up several times this year only to get injured just prior each time, so he's basically cooked and Highmore is our new backup, which could also explain why Gears is going around again too.

So it's Joyce, Clav, Jimmy, Robbo, Dmac and Gears as guys we couldn't give away if we wanted to.
Then Lonie, Dunny, Paddy, Connolly who might not see another year in RWB.

That's 24 gone in 2 years and another 9 or 10+ that are through or expendable.

I reckon the strategy from here is a simple two prong approach.
1.Get Bing. 2.Get free agents like Jelly. EOS

From this year on we're just padding out the bottom of the list and will churn players for a few years to sift out the gold dust.

the list shift under lethers has been quite dramatic. i remember posting in frustration after a loss i think in 2017/2018 stating that we need another rebuild because the current one wasn't going to cut it, to go with the richo needs to go and the football department needs massive work. i got laughed at, called insane and bunch of other s**t.

but if you look at what's happened under lethers to go with the football dept rebuild, we've been churning that list at a quick rate especially for the starting 22.

i dont think lethers was as enamoured with the list as others. i think he saw huge deficiencies and they've gone about really churning it. with a big emphasis on bringing in senior players from successfull environments and or those who have elite attributes.

Hanners Hill Frawley Butler Ryder Howard Crouch Jones Higgins. that's 9 players, half of your fielded team!!!!! i'm sure i might be forgetting one or two as well.

couple that with the draft capital in King Clark Coffield Paton Bytel Byrnes Wilkie now Allison and Highmore. plus the repurposing or realisation of players like Marshall Steele Long. that's an incredible shift.

its meant previous best 22 players like Dunstan, Weller, Webster, Savage, McCartin, Acres, Newnes, Roberton, McKenzie, Sinclair, Lonie, Longer, Hickey (i'm sure there are more) are now out of the side.

what a shift!!!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ST KILDA

Draftees:
Matt Allison (Pick 26), Tom Highmore (Pick 45)

Who has left: Ryan Abbott (delisted), Logan Austin (delisted), Jack Bell (delisted), Nathan Brown (retired), Nick Hind (Essendon, trade), Doulton Langlands (delisted), Jonathon Marsh (delisted), Jack Mayo (delisted), Matt Parker (delisted), Ed Phillips (delisted), Shane Savage (delisted)

Who has arrived: Brad Crouch (Adelaide Crows, free agent), James Frawley (Hawthorn, delisted free agent), Jack Higgins (Richmond, trade), Shaun McKernan (Essendon, delisted free agent)

Promoted rookies: Nil

Retained rookies: Sam Alabakis (category B), Darragh Joyce (category A, pre-listed from 2020 senior list), Oscar Clavarino (category A, pre-listed from 2020 senior list)

ST KILDA

Draftees:

Who has left: Ryan Abbott (delisted), Logan Austin (delisted), Jack Bell (delisted), Nathan Brown (retired), Nick Hind (Essendon, trade), Doulton Langlands (delisted), Jonathon Marsh (delisted), Jack Mayo (delisted), Matt Parker (delisted), Ed Phillips (delisted), Shane Savage (delisted)

Who has arrived: Brad Crouch (Adelaide Crows, free agent), James Frawley (Hawthorn, delisted free agent), Jack Higgins (Richmond, trade), Shaun McKernan (Essendon, delisted free agent)

Retained rookies: Sam Alabakis (category B), Darragh Joyce (category A, pre-listed from 2020 senior list), Oscar Clavarino (category A, pre-listed from 2020 senior list)

I'd like to grab either Heath (longer term prospect but has talent) or Gault (Will be 29 next year but can fill in for Ryder while we look at our options in the long term)

Otherwise keep a couple of spots free, bank the unspent salary, and use it to attack free agency again in 9 months time. It might not be a heap but 200k is 200k and couple be the difference in landing someone like Kelly, Merrett or... lol... Matt Crouch ;)

I'd like to grab either Heath (longer term prospect but has talent) or Gault (Will be 29 next year but can fill in for Ryder while we look at our options in the long term)

Otherwise keep a couple of spots free, bank the unspent salary, and use it to attack free agency again in 9 months time. It might not be a heap but 200k is 200k and couple be the difference in landing someone like Kelly, Merrett or... lol... Matt Crouch ;)
I read somewhere Heath will be completing year 12 in 2021 so it would be a waste of a 1 year deal if he can only be at the club part time while still attending school.

the list shift under lethers has been quite dramatic. i remember posting in frustration after a loss i think in 2017/2018 stating that we need another rebuild because the current one wasn't going to cut it, to go with the richo needs to go and the football department needs massive work. i got laughed at, called insane and bunch of other sh*t.

Don't know about laughed at, but you and others like gringo were certainly derided for being so negative. Results show with good justification. Many were in denial about our list, me being an optimist tried to look at the positives, but was shook when our recruiting was limited to Logan Austinn.

Thought our drafting was Ok and this has been borne out by the players we have retained as we have cut 22 in two seasons.

2018 I had had enough of Richo and his 'strong at the contest' BS and while we were getting good youngsters in 16, 17, and 18, our first 22 was as ordinary as a team could be, and by 2019 had come around to flicking cho and when Ratts was appointed, it was the beginning.

but if you look at what's happened under lethers to go with the football dept rebuild, we've been churning that list at a quick rate especially for the starting 22.

We were lucky an operator like Lethers stuffed up and then we got him. We had started the complete on and off field rebuild with the return to Moorabbin by Matt Finnis, but he needed some assistance. Lether come on board and I reckon did more than just the football operations. The RSEA park rebuild started it, then we got a whole bunch of operators. Gags, Rath, Gubby Allen, three parts to the on field development. Ratts, Roughy, Slater, etc, all inspired coaching moves.

dont think lethers was as enamoured with the list as others. i think he saw huge deficiencies and they've gone about really churning it. with a big emphasis on bringing in senior players from successfull environments and or those who have elite attributes.

Yes he has been the catalyst to the churn, but while players from successfull environments have been brought in, so have the administration and coaching staff.

Hill Frawley Butler Ryder Howard Crouch Jones Higgins. that's 9 players, half of your fielded team!!!!! i'm sure i might be forgetting one or two as well.

couple that with the draft capital in King Clark Coffield Paton Bytel Byrnes Wilkie now Allison and Highmore. plus the repurposing or realisation of players like Marshall Steele Long. that's an incredible shift.

its meant previous best 22 players like Dunstan, Weller, Webster, Savage, McCartin, Acres, Newnes, Roberton, McKenzie, Sinclair, Lonie, Longer, Hickey (i'm sure there are more) are now out of the side.

what a shift!!!!

Exactly, and this is why you copped a bit of a bagging last night for your pretty chilled response to our two recruits. People only remember when you were scathing of our list, coaching and admin. It has turned out you were correct, although even you would admit the frustration of those years can force so overly negative views (I don't blame, you, even I, Mr Optimistic, would blow off steam with a rant and tirade at cho and the s**t list). I don't think many understand you see the strategy and the remarkable changes of the team, admin, and club itself in a couple of short years.

Lethlean has been a big driver, but under Adrian Bassatt, the club has gone from a dire, plodding non entity to something that is pretty exciting to Saints supporters.And most fans see it, record membership in the plague year shows we are on the right track.

ST KILDA

Draftees:

that looks like Wilkie got upgraded? did he?

Just because Matt Allison was drafted a KPF does not mean that is where he will play.
I think he has all the attributes to be KPB maybe he could be the Carlisle replacement in a year or two

great point. the club has mentioned he can play all over the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back