List Mgmt. 2020 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Draft Tracker
OK , this is my logic from a Cats perspective for how i would evaluate the value of our future first rounder.

a) Where will Saints finish 2021 , do I gamble on it , or do I assume for the sake of the trade that it might be high up. So anything better than a late first rounder could be a bad deal for the Cats.

b) You are Geelong , do you prefer your pick this year or do you prefer to put back your stock of young players for a year in the future?
Most teams would prefer a pick this year to next year , so why do it ? OK so on top of point a) you need to pay overs to twist their arm.

That's my logic for an valuing a trade of our next years first. It is not worth pick 11 or 14 .
So to get 11 or 14 we'd need to include some pretty good picks, which we don't have, or a very talented young player, which we wouldn't want to.
Your logic seems sound, I was only commenting on the O'Meara once in a lifetime pick swap

Your logic seems sound, I was only commenting on the O'Meara once in a lifetime pick swap

Was a pretty good deal, especially since the year of the trade, the draft turned out to be not so strong, certainly Coffield and Clark still have potential to be better than most in that draft, and Long coming good now.

Was a pretty good deal, especially since the year of the trade, the draft turned out to be not so strong, certainly Coffield and Clark still have potential to be better than most in that draft, and Long coming good now.

The Hawks aren't nailing their recruitment like they used too. O'Meara has been good but not carrying them and similar with Wingard. Two very high priced players that are so far just players.

The Hawks aren't nailing their recruitment like they used too. O'Meara has been good but not carrying them and similar with Wingard. Two very high priced players that are so far just players.
Wingard is looking great this year. He looks back to some top form. Couple of best ons so far and nine goals already.

OK , this is my logic from a Cats perspective for how i would evaluate the value of our future first rounder.

a) Where will Saints finish 2021 , do I gamble on it , or do I assume for the sake of the trade that it might be high up. So anything better than a late first rounder could be a bad deal for the Cats.

b) You are Geelong , do you prefer your pick this year or do you prefer to put back your stock of young players for a year in the future?
Most teams would prefer a pick this year to next year , so why do it ? OK so on top of point a) you need to pay overs to twist their arm.

That's my logic for an valuing a trade of our next years first. It is not worth pick 11 or 14 .
So to get 11 or 14 we'd need to include some pretty good picks, which we don't have, or a very talented young player, which we wouldn't want to.
Last year Norff netted a 2nd and a 3rd for the type of trade you're talking about.
But it all depends on the level of desire from each side as to what can be extracted.

In mutually agreeable trades the the bonus tends to be much less, if anything at all.

For this upcoming draft, the Dogs, Pies, Swans and maybe Freo will all either be trying to trade up, or trade out of the first round, depending where their NGAs are rated.
And with this draft being generally declared as average at best, and next year's shaping as very good, l can see these clubs wanting to exit the first round this year.

In the case of Sydney for example. We could send our future 1st, and 2x 2020 4ths, in return for their 2020 1st and 2nd.

That would be roughly on value for similar trades.

I think we're in the box seat this year. The accountant will have it well under control..

Wingard is looking great this year. He looks back to some top form. Couple of best ons so far and nine goals already.

I guess I should have done some research. I watched one game against the Cats a few weeks ago and he looked lazy and half arsed. I must have seen a bad game.

Last year Norff netted a 2nd and a 3rd for the type of trade you're talking about.
But it all depends on the level of desire from each side as to what can be extracted.

In mutually agreeable trades the the bonus tends to be much less, if anything at all.

For this upcoming draft, the Dogs, Pies, Swans and maybe Freo will all either be trying to trade up, or trade out of the first round, depending where their NGAs are rated.
And with this draft being generally declared as average at best, and next year's shaping as very good, l can see these clubs wanting to exit the first round this year.

In the case of Sydney for example. We could send our future 1st, and 2x 2020 4ths, in return for their 2020 1st and 2nd.

That would be roughly on value for similar trades.

I think we're in the box seat this year. The accountant will have it well under control..

Sydney's 2020 first could be pick 2 to 5 second 19 to 25. They would be nuts to gamble on us next year even with their NGA pick ups. They could end up with pick 15 to 18 next year for 2 and 19 this year.

I hope it happens but I can't see it. You usually want to get out from in front of your likely NGA pick but not completely out of the draft. Probably trade out to our first for theirs and extras their way. I can't see them wanting to delay either, they would be pretty keen to get players in and start developing them.

And if i remember correctly there were some on here that wanted him

I think it must have been the bargain hunter thing. Like buying a pair of bright orange Gucci leather pants because they were marked down to half price. He was injury prone and average at GWS.

Sydney's 2020 first could be pick 2 to 5 second 19 to 25. They would be nuts to gamble on us next year even with their NGA pick ups. They could end up with pick 15 to 18 next year for 2 and 19 this year.

I hope it happens but I can't see it. You usually want to get out from in front of your likely NGA pick but not completely out of the draft. Probably trade out to our first for theirs and extras their way. I can't see them wanting to delay either, they would be pretty keen to get players in and start developing them.
Yes all depending on where they finish. Campbell could easily attract a bid at 6-7-8, and snagging a top 5 pick to jump in front isn't that easy.
It was just a hypothetical, but this is a year of opportunity no doubt.

Yes all depending on where they finish. Campbell could easily attract a bid at 6-7-8, and snagging a top 5 pick to jump in front isn't that easy.
It was just a hypothetical, but this is a year of opportunity no doubt.

Campbell looks a gun. He could easily get a top 5 pick. I think they should have a pick in the top 5. Jamara Ugle-Hagen will get a bid early which should distract from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard is probably in AA form right now.

O'Meara has been okay, but for what they gave up for him you'd expect an AA player at minimum.

Their age profile suggests they should be contending right now, but they don't look good enough for me.

They've traded away a heap of draft picks to get where they are and don't have the quality kids coming through.

Wingard is probably in AA form right now.

O'Meara has been okay, but for what they gave up for him you'd expect an AA player at minimum.

Their age profile suggests they should be contending right now, but they don't look good enough for me.

They've traded away a heap of draft picks to get where they are and don't have the quality kids coming through.
I looked at this a few weeks back. From memory they had 11 top 22 players in their 30s - May have been 29 or older. They look in awful awful trouble in a couple of years.

I looked at this a few weeks back. From memory they had 11 top 22 players in their 30s - May have been 29 or older. They look in awful awful trouble in a couple of years.
I look at their age breakdown and it looks atrocious but still can never write them off. Don’t expect to contend any time soon but Clarko is too good for them to fall into the bottom six I reckon.

They’ll lose older players but they still have a bit to work with. O’Meara, Mitchell, Worpel, Sicily, Mitch Lewis, Hardwick is a decent core that won’t be going anywhere.

I look at their age breakdown and it looks atrocious but still can never write them off. Don’t expect to contend any time soon but Clarko is too good for them to fall into the bottom six I reckon.

They’ll lose older players but they still have a bit to work with. O’Meara, Mitchell, Worpel, Sicily, Mitch Lewis, Hardwick is a decent core that won’t be going anywhere.
While Clarko is there they'll always be able to attract FA's too.

He'll continue to keep them from the bottom part of the ladder, but I don't see a flag with this list they have.

Just on the O'Meara deal, Hawks effectively gave up pick Brad Hill (which got us the pick to grab Ben Long), pick 36 (Battle), 2017 pick 7 (Hunter Clark) and 2017 pick 26 (Liam Ryan)

i would have paid pick 7 for Ryan over Omeara hahahaha

although i am a fan boy of ryan

i would have paid pick 7 for Ryan over Omeara hahahaha

although i am a fan boy of ryan
I was speaking to an old coach of mine from WA and he's seen a lot of Zane Trew who he says rates extremely high.

Seen much of him?

Apparently had 40 touches and 10 tackles in a Colts game last year as a bottom ager.

I was speaking to an old coach of mine from WA and he's seen a lot of Zane Trew who he says rates extremely high.

Seen much of him?

Apparently had 40 touches and 10 tackles in a Colts game last year as a bottom ager.

didnt attend any u18s last year :-(

and this year haven't attended any WAFL beyonda half of a pre season game a couple weekends back

first game this year.

who's he play for?

Seen much of him?

Yeah, I have heard Trew is a gun too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back