Fantasy 2020 - Empire League Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Franchise tagging in fantasy is always good fun to try and get your head around, especially for new guys who may have never done it before.

I didn't know which way to go a few years ago either, still somewhat don't.

Yes, unless you use a tag on a sought after player to get a high pick out of it
so if I franchise tag King with a 1st round does that mean I get a first round compensation pick if I don't win the bidding on him?

Rookies:

Howard, Everett, Smith, Connelly - 2 years

Harris, Ximines - 1 year

Will let you know vets at a later date... Ie: after free agency in real life.

Franchise tagging in fantasy is always good fun to try and get your head around, especially for new guys who may have never done it before.

I didn't know which way to go a few years ago either, still somewhat don't.
yeah I'm not sure if I am doing the right thing by franchise tagging King or signing him to a new 2 or 3 year deal and franchise tagging Von Miller as I see him as more disposable

Looking at the FA comp pick (2nd rounder for losing a player with a $7m+ salary), I think the salary requirement is set too high.

To be worth $7m in this system, a player needs to score 350+ in their final contracted year - something which only 1 guy (CMC) did this year. 3 others scored 350+ but are under contract, including LJ8 who was the biggest bargain.

Even if you lowered it to a $6m contract, only 3 more players would be eligible (Mahomes, Watson and Aaron Jones).

That said, it's probably moot as I'm sure the owners of all 4 of those guys will re-sign them anyway

yeah I'm not sure if I am doing the right thing by franchise tagging King or signing him to a new 2 or 3 year deal and franchise tagging Von Miller as I see him as more disposable

It's the joy of decision.ill give you some advice on what I personally think is the right way but people could think totally different...

If you've got a player who is young enough coming off a down year that you believe will bounce back; sign them to an extension while cheap.

If you have a vet that you believe could continue to down trend but don't want to drop incase they do bounce back, franchise tag them. What tag you use is up to you.

Looking at the FA comp pick (2nd rounder for losing a player with a $7m+ salary), I think the salary requirement is set too high.

To be worth $7m in this system, a player needs to score 350+ in their final contracted year - something which only 1 guy (CMC) did this year. 3 others scored 350+ but are under contract, including LJ8 who was the biggest bargain.

Even if you lowered it to a $6m contract, only 3 more players would be eligible (Mahomes, Watson and Aaron Jones).

That said, it's probably moot as I'm sure the owners of all 4 of those guys will re-sign them anyway
You guys said get rid of comp picks and only keep the 7m ones

The way I look at it is I want to re-sign those vets on a cheap contract (i.e those that missed games last season) to lock them in at below market value, while I tag those that I don't think can/will sustain their level of play for multiple years (i.e older guys, those that play a position that produces volatile scoring)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously any stud vets just lock them away and take you medicine, sign them to a multi-year deal at a big price unless you have reason to believe their play/scoring will drop off significantly.

You guys said get rid of comp picks and only keep the 7m ones
I know that. That's because we had comp picks all the way through the draft, and I don't think that should be brought back.

The thought that the salary requirement was really high only occurred to me when looking at my roster and seeing I have nobody anywhere near that salary, which led me to wonder how many players were even eligible for it.

But as I said, even if you lowered it to $6m it'd probably be moot, and setting it any lower devalues draft picks too much.

I know that. That's because we had comp picks all the way through the draft, and I don't think that should be brought back.

The thought that the salary requirement was really high only occurred to me when looking at my roster and seeing I have nobody anywhere near that salary, which led me to wonder how many players were even eligible for it.

But as I said, even if you lowered it to $6m it'd probably be moot, and setting it any lower devalues draft picks too much.
Well i can change it to 6m starting this year if no one objects

Just in case you didnt realize...you can resign as many rookies as you want its only vets maximum two can be resogned
all good Breida is my only unsigned rookie and I am happy with that

I like drds idea of lowering it. A 2nd round pick for losing guys who are worth 6m or more still seems fairly harsh imo.
I think it's fair enough considering it'd be voluntary. There are enough ways to retain a player if you want them now (between the 2 vet re-signings, franchise tags and even bidding on them in the open market) that weren't necessarily there when we originally had all those comp picks.

As I said before, I'll be surprised if any of the 4 FAs with a salary over $6m are actually available to bid on come free-agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back