AFLW 2020 Expansion Announcements, News

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing for sure

I guarantee the new clubs coming in will weaken the comp and turn a few / lot of people off
Not fair and shifty s**t will happen

ALREADY IS
It's a fair chance it will be perceived as being used by the afl for unsuccessful male clubs as a consolation prize to prop up brands

The Age 22.1.19 M.Fowler

Fowler said, re the AFLW 2018 B & F "Emma Kearney is critical of the AFL's decision not to make it one match against each of the other 9 teams" in 2019.

E. Kearney said
"They were the ones that introduced expansion, so I think they've got to own that...if you asked EVERY (my emphasis) AFLW player, they'd want to be playing every team once...If we keep having a seven-game season, girls that come from different sports will think "you know what? I'm actually going to stick with my basketball, or my netball" and not do footy. It's a big commitment for only a small competition".

If the AFL don't greatly expand the AFLW 2020 season, they are incompetent & hypocrites.
(Recently, McLachlan said "Nothing is more important to the AFL than the AFLW". Footscray Chairman P.Gordon said "The AFLW is the most important development since Wills and Harrison" ie since 1858!).

The AFL will, rightfully, attract much scorn & multiple attacks from players & many others, & its hypocrisy will be constantly challenged over a disrespectful "Mickey Mouse comp."
(I am assuming that, at the end of the 2019 AFLW season, virtually all AFLW experts declare there has been a noticeable improvement in skills in the average player, & a more attractive, free-flowing game style- which I am expecting).

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...er-new-kids-on-the-block-20190121-p50sqn.html

Where does the cost come for the extra rounds??

The tv costs, extra salaries?

Would the women be happy to get paid the same amount for 4 more weeks work??

Before delistings take place, AA Selection Committee assigns a value to each player:

Top 6 on every team worth 50 points
7-12 worth 40
13-18 worth 30
19-24 worth 20
25-30 worth 10
Every team gives up 2-4 players worth 100 points

Knocking this system back was a huge error. And if it was done so on the assumption that enough players wouldn't be willing to move clubs, that theory was comprehensively debunked during the off-season.

Still yet to see a fairer solution than this and I hope it is implemented for next year.

---

The AFL redistributing funds no doubt, but let's not rule out the increased revenue opportunities attached to a longer, better season with more teams. It isn't a question of whether it will become a 16-week competition, just when, and the push for that is not just coming from players but also club officials and administrators etc.

They already put in way more hours than contracted for, but that doesn't matter, officially speaking it is not allowed.

Something apparent as the comp, and womens footy in general, expands. I try to have a look at comps like TAC cup and VFLW to see who is coming along, and I haven't heard of any of Saints signings. As lower and junior leagues expand, the number of places to look and find hidden talent is growing.

Something apparent as the comp, and womens footy in general, expands. I try to have a look at comps like TAC cup and VFLW to see who is coming along, and I haven't heard of any of Saints signings. As lower and junior leagues expand, the number of places to look and find hidden talent is growing.
In addition to many Melb. private girls' schools promoting female AF after the 2003 court decision (the cynics might say promotion of female AF dovetailed nicely with the private girls' schools mantra/advertising "Private girls' schools provide the best environment to fully challenge girls' interests, horizons & stereotypes"), Melb.'s southern suburbs' JFC's were most prominent.

The sthn. suburban JFC's are still, probably, the strongest in suburban female jnr AF. This area is the most anglo/celtic in Melbourne, with very few factories (notwithstanding the Moorabbin industrial estate)- thus relatively few immigrants from non-anglo Europe/Asia/middle east.

Why would they get paid the same for 4 more weeks? 4 more weeks of TV revenue should trickle into their pockets.

Why would they get paid the same for 4 more weeks? 4 more weeks of TV revenue should trickle into their pockets.
How much is the tv revenue?

My question was would the AFLW players be prepared to work for 4 more weeks, for no more money to improve the AFLW game in the long term.

I currently assume, they make no money through TV Revenue or attendance. I could be wrong.

My question was would the AFLW players be prepared to work for 4 more weeks, for no more money to improve the AFLW game in the long term.

I currently assume, they make no money through TV Revenue or attendance. I could be wrong.

Their player payments would come indirectly through TV Revenue, as I'm sure the next TV deal will include the AFLW rights.

They may be fine with it, but their deal was negotiated by the AFLPA, who I would assume would be dead against players being asked to put in extra hours for no pay, "for the good of the league".

If your employer went to your union and said, company is having a bit of a rough time at the moment, we would like our employees to work longer, but we don't want to have to pay them. What's the response?

Pretty sure that will be the AFLPAs response to.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That will be interesting

Does this affect the guys salary ? I thought they got more if the afl income went above a certain level.
No, the men's salary was negotiated first. The women's salary was then negotiated out of the AFLs take of revenue. This is why the AFLPA could negotiate the women's deal without it being a conflict.

I suspect it will always be this way.

Some say women should only be paid out of AFLW income, but a successful AFLW league will give a boost to non AFLW income as well, but it will be almost impossible to tell by how much.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This comps a farce

We got in early WHY

STEVENS B. & f
Eva 2nd b& f
King
Bernardi
Hope
DUFfin
Garner
Edwards

AND NOW ANOTHER 4 lol

Explain
Why did Carlton get the first live pick in Victoria , where's the compensation?

7 wins in 19 games
Adelaide a state and territory team , heavily subsidised by a promo $

Gws. Ditto
Freo ditto
North ditto ( Tasmania)

It's a wonderful system

What we get this year pick 13 in Victoria

This comps a farce

We got in early WHY

STEVENS B. & f
Eva 2nd b& f
King
Bernardi
Hope
DUFfin
Garner
Edwards

AND NOW ANOTHER 4 lol

Explain
Why did Carlton get the first live pick in Victoria , where's the compensation?

7 wins in 19 games
Adelaide a state and territory team , heavily subsidised by a promo $

Gws. Ditto
Freo ditto
North ditto ( Tasmania)

It's a wonderful system

What we get this year pick 13 in Victoria
Just like in the Dockers-Magpies gameday thread, this poster mentions a number (in this case four) of ex-Collingwood players lost via non-expansion avenues as if it's a reason for more/better compensation picks.

Your ranting is disingenuous, some would call that trolling. Give it up.

Does the AFLW have any long-term plans or are they just looking 12-24 months ahead?

I'm sick of this rubbish about minimising the overlap between AFLM and AFLW.

When will the AFLW be more than 7 H&A rounds?

Does the AFLW have any long-term plans or are they just looking 12-24 months ahead?

I'm sick of this rubbish about minimising the overlap between AFLM and AFLW.

When will the AFLW be more than 7 H&A rounds?
Apparently they have plans but think it's inappropriate to share them with the public.

Aka they are massively winging it.

Apparently they have plans but think it's inappropriate to share them with the public.

Aka they are massively winging it.

Or the plans have layers of contingencies and dependencies and they dealing with a PR minefield and a competitive sporting environment

Aka playing their cards close is precisely what they should be doing

I know there will be complaints, such as a few posts above, that there is an insufficient talent pool for 4 new teams next year, that a spreading of talent will hurt the competition. I have to disagree. I think it's great for teenage girls to know that there is a commitment to the sport, that it is a potential career path for them, and that they AFL is a viable choice over sports such as cricket, basketball and soccer.

Sure they will be some blowouts, I mean, there was once in a final just yesterday. And there will be young women who don't have great skills, but give them a chance, let them get as much match practice in meaningful competitions as possible.

Women's cricket and soccer has come a long way and the Australian national teams are full of talented players. Aussie Rules is not there yet, but I'm sure the standard will improve over time. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the next generation of female gun athletes.

Or the plans have layers of contingencies and dependencies and they dealing with a PR minefield and a competitive sporting environment

Aka playing their cards close is precisely what they should be doing

I would normally agree with you, but this administration has done so painfully little to earn trust over the last few years that I just can't believe they're genuinely on top of things. Part of the reason this is all so tense is because of the decisions the AFL has made in this area and their very poor communications up to this point, which doesn't suggest to me that there's any kind of master plan going on behind the scenes.

I really do hope you're right though.

I would normally agree with you, but this administration has done so painfully little to earn trust over the last few years that I just can't believe they're genuinely on top of things. Part of the reason this is all so tense is because of the decisions the AFL has made in this area and their very poor communications up to this point, which doesn't suggest to me that there's any kind of master plan going on behind the scenes.

I really do hope you're right though.
I flip flop between being furious at the AFL for their stupid decisions, and recognising that what everyone else wants them to do instead may be even dumber. There is a benefit to shouting advice from the sidelines, everybody doesn't get to see your suggestion absolutely suck in practice.

A case in point is the length of the season. Trent Coopers post match interview made it clear Freo was limping to the line physically. Had they got the the GF its possible they would have been missing Bowers, Donnellan, Hooker and Miller. Peta Searle on 9s Womens Footy said most of the teams were pretty cooked.

People forget, most of these womens have full time jobs, some of them have very demanding jobs. This makes recovery difficult. Some of the players are now better adapted because they are into their 3rd season, but 4 new teams next year means teams like WC are going to have over 50% of their players new to the league. To jump straight to a 13 round, play every team once season, might see teams like West Coast literally run out of enough players to field a team.

I suspect a reason for the slow build up to the number of games in a season is, you just cannot take 500 or so women who were playing amateur footy, dump them in a national, full on, professional expectations league, while working full time, and play a 3 month season, and hope womens bodies prove up to it.

Women do play long seasons, but in amateur comps. Drive to the game, drive home, if your injured, you dont play until you feel able to. They weren't getting injections to get on the park, and expected to undertake the sorts of rehab full time professionals do to get up the next week.

I have come around to shorter seasons, slowly increase as the league matures. I think rookies coming in right now expected to play a 13 round season against players coming out of their 4th preseason would get crushed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back