2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something toxic going on at GWS. Too talented to be finishing 12th

We should be looking closely at that list and reaching out to any disgruntled players
The problem is that every player that falls out of there who is any good just hands them more first round or early second round picks.

Straying into the hypotheticals of other teams here - if Essendon get Pick 7 compensation for Daniher would we do something like Pick 3 & 21 to Essendon for Pick 6 & 7? If the scum have a player they really want and both McDonald & Hollands are taken I think it could be decent. It becomes more appealing if Crouch nets Adelaide pick 3 compensation.

In the worst case scenario (Crouch compensation + no early Campbell bid):

Pick 1 (Adelaide): Logan McDonald
Pick 2 (Adelaide): Elijah Hollands
Pick 3 (WB matched bid): Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Pick 4 (North): Riley Thilthorpe
Pick 5 (Essendon): Denver Granger-Barrass
Pick 6 (Sydney): Will Phillips
Pick 7 (Gold Coast): Nikolas Cox
Pick 8 (Sydney matched bid): Braeden Campbell
Pick 9 (Hawthorn): Tanner Bruhn
Pick 10 (Hawthorn): Archie Perkins

I wouldn't be unhappy with that.

Straying into the hypotheticals of other teams here - if Essendon get Pick 7 compensation for Daniher would we do something like Pick 3 & 21 to Essendon for Pick 6 & 7? If the scum have a player they really want and both McDonald & Hollands are taken I think it could be decent. It becomes more appealing if Crouch nets Adelaide pick 3 compensation.

In the worst case scenario (Crouch compensation + no early Campbell bid):

Pick 1 (Adelaide): Logan McDonald
Pick 2 (Adelaide): Elijah Hollands
Pick 3 (WB matched bid): Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Pick 4 (North): Riley Thilthorpe
Pick 5 (Essendon): Denver Granger-Barrass
Pick 6 (Sydney): Will Phillips
Pick 7 (Gold Coast): Nikolas Cox
Pick 8 (Sydney matched bid): Braeden Campbell
Pick 9 (Hawthorn): Tanner Bruhn
Pick 10 (Hawthorn): Archie Perkins

I wouldn't be unhappy with that. If they're really desperate for the pick we could potentially even give them 40 instead of 21. Very unlikely but the price for higher picks is really darn steep. I'd do 3 & 40 for 6 & 7 in a heartbeat.
There is no way Essenscum would do that.

Yeah it's unlikely. But sometimes clubs reach for players they really like. Just thought I'd float the idea because I really want a way to get another top 10 pick in this draft.
Me too would love 2 x 10.

I reckon you want two in the top 5, not two in the top 10(Wishful thinking really) this year.

Wright is on the record as saying that this years draft is compromised and it’s also hard to know about some Vic kids but they still think the top 5-6 are going to really good players.

We're talking about Rockliffe specifically who was said to have pissed on teammates amongst other things.
He’s a total GRUB, just look at the way he goes about it. There is a reason the only club that wanted him was Port, and that is because they love scum bags. The two that spring to mind are SPP and Hartlett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly wasn't knowledge, mate.

Just makes sense. Big Boy can't play Ruck (even in shortened games, in a shortened season) - even when we desperately need(ed) him to. To think that this week magically get better this off-season is probs pretty fanciful.

And he can't play KPD. He's certainly held his head high & hasn't been crap (has against the real mobile forwards, but not crap as such), but he's no better than average & us playing him there has contributed to our inability to clear the ball from defence.

So move him on for a 3rd & use that to pay for Downie or package it to try to get another Pick in the 1st.
I could not disagree more.
McEvoy is a solid ruckman. When in the ruck he competes well and can turn a game based on his marking around the ground.
Put McEvoy in the Forward line and he takes a solid mark.
Put him in the backline and oppositions teams try to find a way around his air dominance.

The Hawks have no more influential player than McEvoy.

Mitchel is a get the ball guy... great at his job.
Worpel also needs to get the ball and distribute.
O’Meara has one position in the team.. .., breakaway mid...

None of these guys have another position.

McEvoy changes games. He embodies an on field caplain.

Long term, Day is our guy. He seems like he can do any role on the field.

So was Hartung

But speed alone isn't useful

Amen! Someone that makes some sense. I'm sick of hearing speed is everything. It's a crock.
Is that why 1 of our best ever players (Hodgey) was such a champion? Because of his lightning speed?

It's all about knowing how to play the actual game. No amounts of speed or elite fitness will get you anywhere, if you have the inability to get a kick.

Real speed is how you move the ball, not leg speed. Our 3peat years were all about ball movement. We were probably the slowest leg speed team in the comp.

Amen! Someone that makes some sense. I'm sick of hearing speed is everything. It's a crock.
Is that why 1 of our best ever players (Hodgey) was such a champion? Because of his lightning speed?

It's all about knowing how to play the actual game. No amounts of speed or elite fitness will get you anywhere, if you have the inability to get a kick.

Real speed is how you move the ball, not leg speed. Our 3peat years were all about ball movement. We were probably the slowest leg speed team in the comp.
If you want to move the ball quickly you need to be at least one of skillful or fast as a side. Hodge was very skillful and he could get it into the hands of smith and hill, who had speed and good skills. Speed isn’t all there is but it is an important part of the puzzle.

We did have Hill, Cyril, Poppy, Birchall, Smith.

With Jacobs announcing his retirement at GWS they are again faced with an issue in the ruck, wonder if we can get something for Ceglar and look to a younger ruck to grow with our mids over the coming years.

could potentially be packaged with a pick to pry someone out of the Giants while solving one of their biggest issues.

Recognise that it leaves us with our own issue but think we can get by with Big Boy for a year and a younger ruck from around the league developing with the squad.

With Jacobs announcing his retirement at GWS they are again faced with an issue in the ruck, wonder if we can get something for Ceglar and look to a younger ruck to grow with our mids over the coming years.

could potentially be packaged with a pick to pry someone out of the Giants while solving one of their biggest issues.

Recognise that it leaves us with our own issue but think we can get by with Big Boy for a year and a younger ruck from around the league developing with the squad.
Why would GWS want Ceglar now? That ship has sailed.

IMO, Ceglar is above average around the ground (even at gaining clearances) as a Ruckman.

In 2020, he's garbage in the centre as a tap ruckman, but he's not been like this in previous years - he used to jump & everything.

Samesies, our midfielders used to be good at midfielding but are now fu**ing awful.

All this in the same season?:think:

I've a feeling we're trying to implement something that just isn't working & it's counter intuitive to the midfield group as a whole, making them all play well below their best.

Either that or they all became s**t at the same time for no other apparent reason, I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back