2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one player I really want in this draft: Eddie Ford. Had COVID not impacted the season I strongly believe he would have pushed himself into top 10 contention. I think he has the potential to be an elite midfielder with his attributes – 188cm (and growing), a massive leap, aggressive tackling and clean skills. I believe it’s been posted before but just look at these highlights:

But I don’t think our Pick 24 will be enough especially after being pushed back due to academy bids. I see a club like Melbourne or Richmond being happy with reaching.

For that reason I'd try to send Pick 24 + 2021 Second Round Selection to GWS for Pick 15 + 2021 Third Round Selection and take Ford with 15. I know next years draft projects to be good but I genuinely think Ford will be an absolute steal.

Last edited:

There is one player I really want in this draft: Eddie Ford. Had COVID not impacted the season I strongly believe he would have pushed himself into top 10 contention. I think he has the potential to be an elite midfielder with his attributes – 188cm (and growing), a massive leap, aggressive tackling and clean skills. I think it’s been posted before but just look at these highlights:

But I don’t think our Pick 24 will be enough especially after being pushed back due to academy bids. I see a club like Melbourne or Richmond being happy with reaching.

For that reason I'd try to send Pick 24 + 2021 Second Round Selection to GWS for Pick 15 + 2021 Third Round Selection and take Ford with 15. I know next years draft projects to be good but I genuinely think Ford will be an absolute steal.

With you 100%. Not at 4 but definitely with our second pick.

There is one player I really want in this draft: Eddie Ford. Had COVID not impacted the season I strongly believe he would have pushed himself into top 10 contention. I think he has the potential to be an elite midfielder with his attributes – 188cm (and growing), a massive leap, aggressive tackling and clean skills. I believe it’s been posted before but just look at these highlights:

Trade up to get his man.
pick 24 + one in the 40s + something from next year to get him in.

Phillips/Hollands + Ford + Downie

This would take our midfield to one of the most exciting going in my opinion- all three of which fill needs for us and would make our mid/forward rotation incredibly competitive.

Any chance we try and swap our first next year for Gold Coast first this year. Then we get a chance at 2 of either Phillips, Perkins, Holland’s. Then swap 24 and other picks for a pick in early teens and get a chance at Ford or McRae if still available and then we still get Downie.

I know it is risky to swap out next years first, but I don’t think we will be bottom 5 and it starts our list development faster.

Imagine a draft haul this year of Phillips, Perkins, Ford/McRae and Downie.

Any chance we try and swap our first next year for Gold Coast first this year. Then we get a chance at 2 of either Phillips, Perkins, Holland’s. Then swap 24 and other picks for a pick in early teens and get a chance at Ford or McRae if still available and then we still get Downie.

I know it is risky to swap out next years first, but I don’t think we will be bottom 5 and it starts our list development faster.

Please God no. Was bad enough watching this year never lone watching with the knowledge that we won't have a 1st rounder. Imagine if we miss out on Jason Horne because we couldn't keep it in our pants this year:sick:

Please God no. Was bad enough watching this year never lone watching with the knowledge that we won't have a 1st rounder. Imagine if we miss out on Jason Horne because we couldn't keep it in our pants this year:sick:
Couldn’t keep a Horne in our pants :cool:

Yeah monitoring the draft prospects has probably been the most enjoyable part of 2020 as a hawks fan. A horrible year with no early pick to look forward to would be grim as a fan. Every time I think we will be better next year I look at our key position stocks and it’s hard to see us not having another top 6 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah monitoring the draft prospects has probably been the most enjoyable part of 2020 as a hawks fan. A horrible year with no early pick to look forward to would be grim as a fan. Every time I think we will be better next year I look at our key position stocks and it’s hard to see us not having another top 6 pick.

If we avoid bottom 6 with our key position stocks then I'll give Clarko some credit for coming up with a style that masked that weakness reasonably well in 2021.

Yep ultra impressive mover. Looks a terrific size.

Imagine getting Hollands at 4 and Ford with our 2nd then Downie. Holy Crapola.

If you can give a rookie a 1 year deal (not sure) then would make sense to strip the main list back to bare minimum and list 6 rookies this year. Clubs won't take as many picks so take a chance this year on 6 players you won't get next year and onwards. Could be a shrewd club that benefits massively from this draft.

I wonder if, once our pick rolls around and the last two of the “fab 5” we rate evenly are left, we trade pick 4 for pick 5 and 27 with GC, then roll our two seconds into the first round, or next year

Given GC likely to only take 1 pick this year, could be of benefit to them and at little cost to us

No chance are we finishing last next year and getting Horne. Mark that down to Adelaide. They will be making sure they get him. north won’t be far behind them either and then the Bombers. Even if we finish the same as this year, which I don’t think we will, then why not have the extra pick this year and get one year ahead in terms of developing a young player.

I would consider trading next years 1st for Gold Coast’s Pick 5 ( not sure they would) if the Pies agreed to trade their 2021 1st for our pick 24 and our 2021 2nd rounder plus sweeteners (Pies don’t need next years 1st just points/ picks for Daicos no.2). 2 of the big 5 Hollands/Thilthorpe/DGB/Phillips plus Downie (plus a late gem maybe) whilst still having a decent 1st rounder next year would be a great haul.

Hypothetical

Essendon's 6 + 8
For Hawthorn's 4 + 24
Plus a First-round pick swap in 2021.

This would have us moving back 2 but up 16 so we would need to add a sweetener. The sweetener is a hedge position in the 2021 draft i.e. swapping first-round positions. If Essendon think they will be good and we will be s*&t, they might go for something like this?

Plus, if we managed to finish above Essendon because they become really s*&t, we win get their 1st rounder. Not sure they would go for it but for me it seems a pretty fair deal which has the fun "gamble" aspect to it. You know, win big look like a genius, or lose big and look like a muppet.

Hypothetical

Essendon's 6 + 8
For Hawthorn's 4 + 24

This would have us moving back 2 but up 16 so we would need to add a sweetener. The sweetener is a hedge position in the 2021 draft i.e. swapping first-round positions. If Essendon think they will be good and we will be s*&t, they might go for something like this?

Plus, if we managed to finish above Essendon because they become really s*&t, we win get their 1st rounder. Not sure they would go for it but for me it seems a pretty fair deal which has the fun "gamble" aspect to it. You know, win big look like a genius, or lose big and look like a muppet.
They hate us and the feeling is mutual highly doubt Dodoro goes for that

Hypothetical

Essendon's 6 + 8
For Hawthorn's 4 + 24

Don't think they'd be deluded enough to go for that, I think we'll be bottom 4 next year but they won't be much better.

Hypothetical

Essendon's 6 + 8
For Hawthorn's 4 + 24

No need for a sweetener next year.
In this draft the top 5 are standouts. So pick 4 is worth a lot.

No need for a sweetener next year.
In this draft the top 5 are standouts. So pick 4 is worth a lot.

Given the nature of this draft I won’t be shocked to see us trade out our 2nd round pick for a future 2nd depending on how the cards fall we could only select pick 4 and Downie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypothetical

Essendon's 6 + 8
For Hawthorn's 4 + 24

IF (big if) the club feels we can get our target at pick 6 then the only way I do this trade is without the 2021 1st round pick swap. The sweetener for them in all of this would be moving up 2 spots to get whomever they are targeting.

It's either 6 + 8 for 4 + 24 or no deal. If they feel they can get their kid at 6 then so be it no deal but I'm not trading positions with them with so much unknowns with where our list is at. Just imagine in a doomsday scenario we finish stone motherless last and hand them Horne. We wouldn't ever hear the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back