2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL website is saying we are considering taking 5 picks, that will mean a further 2 de-listings I think. I wonder who they are thinking about. It'd be a real kick in the guts to them if it does happen.

Personally doubt we take 5 in this years draft. 4 as a maximum.

Thinking Moore is signed on for another year (should have happened by now), while Walker and Jones are rookie listed. Brooksby I have no idea about but might depend on if we end up drafting a kid who can play in the ruck.

First Jackson Trengove

Now Lewis Jetta

D1A1CE7B-D0BF-4C81-AC47-744D6C593844.gif

Jones cannot remain on the rookie list. Walker on the primary list. If Reeves cannot perform to the level of Brooksby, I'd move on Reeves. I assume CJ can go from a B to an A rookie. With the new interchange a running machine like Moore should be safe.

Have not heard Kosi signing on. I suspect he feels the contract bucks are a little shy, or they have not promised him opportunities, or he is just plain tardy. Let's assume Kosi is marginal. Means we must draft a tall, the earlier the better.

Jones cannot remain on the rookie list. Walker on the primary list. If Reeves cannot perform to the level of Brooksby, I'd move on Reeves. I assume CJ can go from a B to an A rookie. With the new interchange a running machine like Moore should be safe.

Have not heard Kosi signing on. I suspect he feels the contract bucks are a little shy, or they have not promised him opportunities, or he is just plain tardy. Let's assume Kosi is marginal. Means we must draft a tall, the earlier the better.
Reeves is locked in for 2021.

On ability or potential it should be Brooksby out the door but on list balance, I reckon Jones or Walker. It pays to be tall.

If we are relying on Brooksby to play games it's a dire situation that we are rooted anyways, I'd rather see Jones and Walker stay if that was the choice.

First Jackson Trengove

Now Lewis Jetta

View attachment 1014875
Haven't read this through. Surely nobody actually suggested we go for Jackson Trengove lol?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

This is something I cannot understand. I do not understand relevance of academy players with general pool players.
If you hold picks 10,13 & 15, you should be able to pick up 3 good players for example Reid/Cox/Ford.
If picks go back by say 15,18,20, general pool players Reid/Cox/Ford will still be there. Whoever has taken 5 spots ahead
will be academy players, not general pool players.
Thank you for sharing the light with everyone, have been banging on about this for some time now, just thought it was myself and Daniel Harford that saw the world like this.
You are welcome on our island.

Those picks would likely be pushed out by 2 at a very minimum, and more likely by 4.

Definitely gone:
JUH (NGA)
Campbell (NGA)
McDonald
Hollands
DGB
Tilthorpe
Phillips
Bruhn

Likely gone, though we may get one
O'Driscoll
Henry
Cox
Perkins

Either gone and pushed our picks back, or unavailable:
McInness (Pies NGA)
Jones (Port NGA)
Davies (GCS NGA)

sorry for intrusion but what do you think of this trade

Adelaide pick 4
hawthorn 9 and 22 and a swap of future firsts

i think that seems like a win win

next year you probably get pick 1 to 4 at worst
adelaide get 5 to 8
and in a stronger draft.

just a thought guys

First Jackson Trengove

Now Lewis Jetta

View attachment 1014875
Needs more Matt Suckling

Adelaide pick 4

adelaide get 5 to 8
and in a stronger draft.

just a thought guys

22 doesn't really do a lot for us this year, and while you're predicted to finish lower than us next year it's hardly a guarantee and could end up the inverse.

Essentially, not enough incentive and a high risk of turning out horribly.

A future second instead of 22 would be better, but I think if our pick 4 target(s) are gone by then we'll look to cash it into 2 firsts this year, rather than just slide down and a shuffle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide pick 4

adelaide get 5 to 8
and in a stronger draft.

just a thought guys
I think on paper this isn't terrible, but I think ultimately I think because of the situation (meaning you trying to trade into our pick), that'd probably be considered unders.
I think because of the disparity perceived in this draft between top 5 and the rest, we'd probably ask for quite a bit more.

Adelaide pick 4

adelaide get 5 to 8
and in a stronger draft.

just a thought guys
We don’t want our own pick 24 due to our Academy player projected to go around this pick
We don’t want another pick in this range

Adelaide pick 4

adelaide get 5 to 8
and in a stronger draft.

just a thought guys

The problem with this from a Hawks perspective is a) Pick 22 means very little to us this year and b) swapping future firsts is a massive risk. Although we all like to think our side will improve there's every chance we're spending some time at the bottom and you might overtake us next year. I guess the opposite could be true too (we improve and you don't) and that's risk/reward but given we're entering a rebuild I don't think it's a risk we'd take. There's every chance we end up downgrading out of two strong top 4s for just Pick 22. If you offered something between 10-13 instead of 22 I'd give it serious consideration but that's likely not feasible.

The problem with this from a Hawks perspective is a) Pick 22 means very little to us this year and b) swapping future firsts is a massive risk. Although we all like to think our side will improve there's every chance we're spending some time at the bottom and you might overtake us next year. I guess the opposite could be true too (we improve and you don't) and that's risk/reward but given we're entering a rebuild I don't think it's a risk we'd take. There's every chance we end up downgrading out of two strong top 4s for just Pick 22. If you offered something between 10-13 instead of 22 I'd give it serious consideration but that's likely not feasible.

we could possibly trade 22 and 23 for 14 or 16 fron Collingwood

so would 9 and 16 work for 4

This is something I cannot understand. I do not understand relevance of academy players with general pool players.
If you hold picks 10,13 & 15, you should be able to pick up 3 good players for example Reid/Cox/Ford.
If picks go back by say 15,18,20, general pool players Reid/Cox/Ford will still be there. Whoever has taken 5 spots ahead
will be academy players, not general pool players.

That only works if the players are bid on prior to pick of the team they are aligned to.

If they aren't, then the teams (Sydney, WBD, Port, GCS and Collingwood will essentially get to double up, meaning there's one less quality player to choose from.

Look at it from our point of view with Downie and our second rounder. If someone bids on Downie prior to our pick then we match and get Downie. If no one does, then we get another top 25ish talent AND Downie, therefore diluting the pool for the teams selecting after us.

That only works if the players are bid on prior to pick of the team they are aligned to.

If they aren't, then the teams (Sydney, WBD, Port, GCS and Collingwood will essentially get to double up, meaning there's one less quality player to choose from.

Look at it from our point of view with Downie and our second rounder. If someone bids on Downie prior to our pick then we match and get Downie. If no one does, then we get another top 25ish talent AND Downie, therefore diluting the pool for the teams selecting after us.

ok how about

adelaide 9 and Collingwood future first

for

hawthorn 4

Adelaide pick 4

adelaide get 5 to 8
and in a stronger draft.

just a thought guys

Be a risk for us as I'd only accept it if we could package 22 and 24 for another top 12 this year which is pretty much no chance. Also I'm not confident we'll be that much better than you in 2021.

Hypothetical

Essendon's 6 + 8
For Hawthorn's 4 + 24
Plus a First-round pick swap in 2021.

This would have us moving back 2 but up 16 so we would need to add a sweetener. The sweetener is a hedge position in the 2021 draft i.e. swapping first-round positions. If Essendon think they will be good and we will be s*&t, they might go for something like this?

Plus, if we managed to finish above Essendon because they become really s*&t, we win get their 1st rounder. Not sure they would go for it but for me it seems a pretty fair deal which has the fun "gamble" aspect to it. You know, win big look like a genius, or lose big and look like a muppet.

No chance

Yes, that makes alittle more sense. It will be interesting to see if bid for Downie comes before our 2nd round pick, if yes, we pick him with 2nd rounder or trade out. We use up 2 of pick 40s and pick up speculative player with other pick 40. It will be quite intriguing. We may even be able to trade out 2nd rounder with 40s for Collingwood first next year or someone else 2nd. I was just curious whether we could pick up 3 quality players before Downie, instead of 1, probably not, it depends how much homework we have done on players, others do not value as highly but we do. Everyone know who top 5-6 players are, whereas 25+ becomes more troublesome, then again prior years was similar when with same pick 20s-30s we picked up someone we did not think of.

Yes, that makes alittle more sense. It will be interesting to see if bid for Downie comes before our 2nd round pick, if yes, we pick him with 2nd rounder or trade out. We use up 2 of pick 40s and pick up speculative player with other pick 40. It will be quite intriguing. We may even be able to trade out 2nd rounder with 40s for Collingwood first next year or someone else 2nd. I was just curious whether we could pick up 3 quality players before Downie, instead of 1, probably not, it depends how much homework we have done on players, others do not value as highly but we do. Everyone know who top 5-6 players are, whereas 25+ becomes more troublesome, then again prior years was similar when with same pick 20s-30s we picked up someone we did not think of.

Given we have 3x third rounders all close together I think that if someone bids on Downie before our second rounder, but within the range we rate him in, then we will just trade our second and move into next year's draft.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Or better yet hopefully we are able to trade our second out and get another pick in the teens.

Given we have 3x third rounders all close together I think that if someone bids on Downie before our second rounder, but within the range we rate him in, then we will just trade our second and move into next year's draft.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Or better yet hopefully we are able to trade our second out and get another pick in the teens.

If we rate him as lowly as a third rounder, not sure we will bother with a complex maneuver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back