2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my point. You occasionally see him start there but he can't be a solution. We need to bring somebody in.
Shiels is not the answer. I'd be surprised if he plays more than 50% of the games next year if his output continues to decline. He's been a great servant, but his body is battered.

We have multiple players in the team who seem capable of playing wing.
Scully is probably the only 'pure' wingman, but we have lots of young blokes who could move there - Day, Impey, Scrimshaw, even Finn or Nash who definitely have the tank for 2 way running.

Plus we are getting Downie in the draft as well.

I understand that with Sicily going down we probably need to keep Scrimshaw and CJ as HB options next year, but we have blokes with the utility, fitness and kicking skills to play wing.

Yes, Smith would have better output than all of those names for the next two years, but i don't think we need to over-reach (or over-pay) for a mature wingman.

I would be happy with either Polec or Phillips to come over - as long as the price is right.

What about Jordan Clark at Cats? Cats couldn't guarantee him games behind Guthrie and now Isaac. Pick 15 two years ago, looked good in 2019, now stuck behind more old blokes. Has pace to burn. We should get in his ear.

What about Jordan Clark at Cats? Cats couldn't guarantee him games behind Guthrie and now Isaac. Pick 15 two years ago, looked good in 2019, now stuck behind more old blokes. Has pace to burn. We should get in his ear.
Pretty sure he is WA bound

We have multiple players in the team who seem capable of playing wing.
Scully is probably the only 'pure' wingman, but we have lots of young blokes who could move there - Day, Impey, Scrimshaw, even Finn or Nash who

I would be happy with either Polec or Phillips to come over - as long as the price is right.

hypothetical how much would Smith have been on around 500k mark? Do not waste it on Phillips, Phillips is a plodder

W.day is a star in the making we all know this, will be introduced more in the midfield and could start on the wing.
Jom can play on a wing , Tom,Jom,Worps balance didn't work in the square at the same time.
Impey is a great option if you can find a way to release him, bringing a hbf type like A.Witherden.
D.moore showed promise last game 25possies also Morrison.

hypothetical how much would Smith have been on around 500k mark? Do not waste it on Phillips, Phillips is a plodder

W.day is a star in the making we all know this, will be introduced more in the midfield and could start on the wing.
Jom can play on a wing , Tom,Jom,Worps balance didn't work in the square at the same time.
Impey is a great option if you can find a way to release him, bringing a hbf type like A.Witherden.
D.moore showed promise last game 25possies also Morrison.
Does JOM have the speed anymore to play on the wing? I feel like he has slowed down a bit, which is why the inside game is more suited to him now. But if he is able to play on the outside, then that's a huge gain for us.

Agree re: Day and Impey. Give them both runs on the wing. Although we'll need to replace Impey of the half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't mind listening in on the end of year interviews with a couple of those recruited:

Scully: "WTF man? I run all day & play my best when involved multiple times in the same possession chain, but that requires us to play fluid, fast footy - not this slow, stoppage garbage - why'd you even recruit me???"

Wingard: "WTF man? I killed it as a mid in my last year at Port. When I got fit at the end of 2019, I played well as a mid. Now you've left me to rust in the forward pocket all year when we were crying out for midfielders - why'd you even recruit me???"

Patton: "WTF man? I'm 2m tall, 100kg. I should be exploding out of the goal square leading at the ball carrier, dragging multiple defenders with me or smashing into the back of the poor bastard trying to fill the hole 30m from goal, not dragged up the ground chasing kicks - why'd you even recruit me???"

Well put. Exactly my thoughts all year. Hopefully we start using the players in ways that bring out their strengths.

Could also be a way for the AFL to hand crows pick 20 without too much backlash. Way overs for Atkins and slight unders for Crouch. Evens it up.

Not that it’s how the AFL should operate but being as grimy as they are 🤷🏻‍♂️

Could also be a way for the AFL to hand crows pick 20 without too much backlash. Way overs for Atkins and slight unders for Crouch. Evens it up.

Soooo...what do we get for Smitty? other than boned.

Does JOM have the speed anymore to play on the wing? I feel like he has slowed down a bit, which is why the inside game is more suited to him now. But if he is able to play on the outside, then that's a huge gain for us.

Agree re: Day and Impey. Give them both runs on the wing. Although we'll need to replace Impey of the half back.

Good question, if you check out the afl live app tracker he often features in the teams top
- the 20m repeated sprints and high speed sprints over 18km matching izzy in some games from the middle.

I don't think the short breaks was at all good for him or Tom in terms of recovery, hopefully we still haven't seen the best of him slowly building.

That's band 4 isn't it....I am not sure what's surprising about that..That's a long way off band one. No issue with Band 4. Massive issue with Band one for Crouch. Even if we are bumped down with still get one of Thilthorpe, McDonald, Hollands, DGB and Phillips, who its agreed are the elite of this crop... Still would like to maintain our current spot to get a better shot at Hollands...Just my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back