2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrighty on SEN just said we're not entertaining trading out Gunston or Breust.

He's rarely so categoric, so I take it as that door is closed.

Phew.

I guess their names will be floated around again this time next year, for the 7th year in a row. 🤣

Phew.

I guess their names will be floated around again this time next year, for the 7th year in a row. 🤣
And for now the speculation will rest on:

- Smith to Carlton (thanks Jordan Lewis)
- Wingard to anyone (thanks Shane Crawford)

Got to love, no matter where we are on the ladder, we're relevant from a news point of view. Can't say the same about the "BIG" Melbourne clubs....

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In the instance that we do actually get something coming back that we like, we may be interested in releasing Gunston who is contracted to 2022.

So, this one is for you Brishawk.

Gunston, Pick 3 and 21 to Lions for Pick 16, 19 and Raynor.

Dreaming?
Nightmare sounds better. Essentially Gunston + 3 for Raynor + 16. How about Bruest for Raynor, they get a player that helps them for the flag, we get a player with potential to fill Breusts role in the right age group.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Is it just me who is reading that a little different? “Just cause we can get something in return” reads to me like they have already spoken to someone about them, and if your “speaking” then you are obviously open to it!
I think that is reading too much in to it, i think what he says is exactly what he means.

We know we could get something for them if we traded them, we just don't think it is the way to go about rebuilding.

Is it just me who is reading that a little different? “Just cause we can get something in return” reads to me like they have already spoken to someone about them, and if your “speaking” then you are obviously open to it!
Nah, you've read way too much into that.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Im changing my thinking, Bruest/Gunners to stay. Shop both JOM, Mitch, they won't take us to success. If it means we take a step back to go forward so be it. Id even get off their contracts for a early second. Mids needs a major overhaul. Our fwds/backs would look completely different. No FWD in the comp would do well with Mitch/JOM/Shiels snapping it 15 m over their shoulder into the FWD 50 every time. Offer JOM for freo's first rounder, they might bite
Totally agree with this. JOM and Tom have no upside.

CobberRodgers

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fills a list shortage need that's true, I simply don't rate him though so I hope we stay away. TylerDurden says it's done to North anyways ?

I agree, I don't know what all of the fuss is about. Seems a bit of a liability in almost every Giants game I watch. Not going to help us build a premiership defence, so why bother.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Wright just controlling the narrative here, Hawks doing exit interiews this week as we speak due to Hub life and interstate players and so forth not wanting to return to Victoria atm.

Read it how you like but he didn't rule anything out just used terms like " I wouldn't think" and alike, never said won't.
What's in our best interest could change dramatically should the right offer come.

As I said exit interiews are being held now and player request could be different to the wishes of the clubs.

CobberRodgers

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cue articles..."Stubborn Hawks Refuse to Face Rebuild Reality"

I love today's society and it's inability to separate opinion and fact in the media.

Clubs should chase Wingard = Hawthorn are trying to trade Wingard

A team like Brisbane should go after Gunston or Bruest = Hawthorn are trying to trade into the first round by shipping off Gunston and Bruest

BurnaHawks

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We sould be trading the following players to get more picks. We should have started our re-build 3 years ago.
Luke Breust - End of first rounder for the right buyer - Carlon, Geelong ??
Jack Gunston - End of first rounder for the right buyer - Geelong, Essendon
Chad Wingard - First rounder for the right buyer - Carlton
Isaac Smith (Free Agent) Potentually package Wingard and Smith for Carltons first pick.

We sould be trading the following players to get more picks. We should have started our re-build 3 years ago.
Luke Breust - End of first rounder for the right buyer - Carlon, Geelong ??
Jack Gunston - End of first rounder for the right buyer - Geelong, Essendon
Chad Wingard - First rounder for the right buyer - Carlton
Isaac Smith (Free Agent) Potentually package Wingard and Smith for Carltons first pick.
Not one team that has done a complete rebuild has won a trophy in the new era. Not going to happen we wont do that

CobberRodgers

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not one team that has done a complete rebuild has won a trophy in the new era. Not going to happen we wont do that

Not only do they not win a premiership, they become a basket case for 2 decades.

We need a mix of all things: 1st round talent, existing players, late pick success, maybe a big FA when ready and bit part trade gems.

If Gunston, Bruest, Smith and Wingard all left in the off season, we would finish bottom of the ladder with a percentage of 40, let's see how the young blokes develop playing in that team for 5 years. Absolutely putrid idea.

2 top 20 picks essentially and Downie is a great start. We need to phase this rebuild not do it in the space of 12 months.

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not only do they not win a premiership, they become a basket case for 2 decades.

We need a mix of all things: 1st round talent, existing players, late pick success and trade gems.

If Gunston, Bruest, Smith and Wingard all left in the off season, we would finish bottom of the ladder with a percentage of 40, let's see how the young blokes develop playing in that team for 5 years. Absolutely putrid idea.
Exactly... how are the young kids going to develop in a Basket case side with no experienced leaders around them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back