2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pretty average comments being made about Smith, I reckon. He may be leaving for several reasons & as an UFA he's entitled to.

Do I want him to stay? Of course I do. But I won't be stressing over a player that won't be involved in our next premiership too much.
If he takes geelongs 2 years over ours then he should be prepared for some backlash.

Hartigan is only 2 years and Patton was on a very reduced contract which is why we gave him the extra year.

Ceglar was 28 years old and lest be honest here was one of the better 2nd rucks in the comp at the time. He went backwards this year alarmingly.

Looking at it objectively it is no where near as bad as the picture you are painting.

Can I have a link that says it's just a 2 year deal please ?

Think we gave Patton an extra 2 years, could be wrong but I think he only had 1 year to run at GWS.

The crows muppet showed his full hand today in the media. “Unless we get pick 2 we will match the bid and hold onto crouch as he is a great player rah rah rah”. Your ship has sailed you goose. You have put him up for auction and he has found a club he is happy with...... amateur hour .
giphy-4.gif

It sure about all the fuss on Smith. Has anyone thought that he may be a part of the reason the team seemed disjointed?
If he stays, great! We get a player who runs all day and does a big kick... every time.
If he leaves we get to see a different structure to the team that has fallen off the cliff. Retaining older players/club stalwarts isn’t always the right move. It smacks of stale ignorance to keep putting out the same thing and expecting a different result. Especially when proven to be incapable of winning finals.

The crows muppet showed his full hand today in the media. “Unless we get pick 2 we will match the bid and hold onto crouch as he is a great player rah rah rah”. Your ship has sailed you goose. You have put him up for auction and he has found a club he is happy with...... amateur hour .

This is my gripe. They either low balled Crouch or enticed him to seek opportunities elsewhere hoping some dumb club will pay enough for them to get pick 2. No one in their right mind will pay Crouch and his injury history 750,000 a season .. let alone now with some off season issues. Threatening to match , asking for more .. unless pick 2 .. AFL should end this bull s**t and get rid of compensation. It should of been scrapped as soon as they gave us pick 19 for buddy and gave melbourne pick 2 for Frawley. Massive imbalance of status in the game.

Clarko spinning wheels trying to retain him too. Doesn't sit well with me.
Because he doesn't want him going to Geelong. Was satisfied if it was Dogs or Melbourne. This is a test of Izzy's character here. Turn your nose at a few years mid table or sneak another flag with the geriatrics. Will go down a few notches in Clarko's mind if he does choose Geelong IMO.

There’s a reason why Phillips and Polec aren’t being linked to anyone yet. The best wingman available is running around for us and the others are back up.
And why 4 clubs are lining up for his signature. Were offering him a good deal because we know the guy is a machine aerobically. Could play till his 40 no joke and at a good standard. Not sure Polec or Phillips could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my gripe. They either low balled Crouch or enticed him to seek opportunities elsewhere hoping some dumb club will pay enough for them to get pick 2. No one in their right mind will pay Crouch and his injury history 750,000 a season .. let alone now with some off season issues. Threatening to match , asking for more .. unless pick 2 .. AFL should end this bull sh*t and get rid of compensation. It should of been scrapped as soon as they gave us pick 19 for buddy and gave melbourne pick 2 for Frawley. Massive imbalance of status in the game.

Crouch came out two months ago and said I want to stay a crow.

Here is the issue, the crows knew some clubs were speaking with him and thought hang on a second if we play this right we could end up with pick 2 if we get enough clubs falling over themselves and overpay.

He then and went and spent a night with Neville Bartos Dandruff and got caught.

Instead of having 5 clubs in a bidding war driving his price up they have the old Saints only who are now saying themselves “we can get ourselves a market place bargain here with free delivery thrown in”

Meanwhile the old crows are now saying whoooo back the truck up for a minute we still love you crouchy.

absolute circus.

It sure about all the fuss on Smith. Has anyone thought that he may be a part of the reason the team seemed disjointed?
If he stays, great! We get a player who runs all day and does a big kick... every time.
If he leaves we get to see a different structure to the team that has fallen off the cliff. Retaining older players/club stalwarts isn’t always the right move. It smacks of stale ignorance to keep putting out the same thing and expecting a different result. Especially when proven to be incapable of winning finals.
Thank you! took the words out of my mouth

I’m pretty sure only playing half the games will have a detrimental effect on your B&F result.
and before you say it, this is the most amount of games he’s missed in a season... ever
12th in 2019 too. He has been on the decline for a couple years and he will be 32 at the start of next season. I would be annoyed if we offered him a 3 year deal. If other clubs are willing to and he goes, so be it. We have had far better performing blokes at that age who we haven’t given more than 1 year to and better players have quickly gone off the cliff from the age of 32.

Can't deny that it wouldn't be a bad look for us if Smith was to leave us for Geelong. But I can't blame him, it's just indicative of where both clubs are at currently.

Smith isn't going to be a part of our next premiership push IMO, so right now my biggest concern is actually getting something for him should he end up leaving.

The other consideration is who are we actually going to be spending our cap on? How will we hit the 95% threshold.
I’m dismayed with everyone suggesting we have cap room to burn, simply not the case. Scully, Patton, O’meara to name a few big contracts. It’s the toughest thing about our ladder position, we r cap constrained! Classic example is when we shopped ceglar there’s no interest because we over committed 12 months ago.

Let's not lose sleep over Smithy he has been a reliable servant. 2yrs was a fair deal it is what it is, you can't control every player i had hoped he was never a cat.

Good on the Saints they might be able to make a play for Trealor or at least keep the crows honest! The Crows will not get #2.

Last edited:
I’m dismayed with everyone suggesting we have cap room to burn, simply not the case. Scully, Patton, O’meara to name a few big contracts. It’s the toughest thing about our ladder position, we r cap constrained! Classic example is when we shopped ceglar there’s no interest because we over committed 12 months ago.
How were we going to pay Coniglio then?

Gee that's a horrible post

As much as I would hate to see him go ( especially to Geelong) I have this feeling that Isaac has gone a bit stale at Hawthorn and needs a change of scenery. Just hasn’t been himself for the past two years and I have no doubt that he could play on for the next three years at a new club.

Always felt that he would would stay until the pussy cats came calling. By adding Cameron, Higgins and Smith they become premiership favourites next year - makes me sick in he guts!

I’m pretty sure only playing half the games will have a detrimental effect on your B&F result.
and before you say it, this is the most amount of games he’s missed in a season... ever
Smitty is still training hard as we speak and this is why he is so important. He sets the example to others on how to prepare to find success,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back