2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Patton loses weight during the off-season and stays injury free, and Lewis works on his endurance levels, you’d expect a much better functioning forward-line next year with an increased number of inside 50s per game with Mitchell, Worpel, O’Meara, Smith (if he stays), with one of Maginness, Cousins or both for that matter pushing for best 22 should see an increase in scoring.

Unfortunately, unless McEvoy plays ruck there'll still be a disconnect between our midfield and ruckman. Our midfield needs another element, also - it's lacking class and foot skills.

If Patton loses weight during the off-season and stays injury free, and Lewis works on his endurance levels, you’d expect a much better functioning forward-line next year with an increased number of inside 50s per game with Mitchell, Worpel, O’Meara, Smith (if he stays), with one of Maginness, Cousins or both for that matter pushing for best 22 should see an increase in scoring.

Couple of big ifs there..

Unfortunately, unless McEvoy plays ruck there'll still be a disconnect between our midfield and ruckman. Our midfield needs another element, also - it's lacking class and foot skills.

McEvoy and Mitchell worked so well together in 2017-18. :(

McEvoy and Mitchell worked so well together in 2017-18. :(

My recollection, someone might want to correct me... we offered Ceglar a 3 year contract at the end of 2019 and a 'promise' he'll get more first ruck opportunities.

2019 was his best season at Hawthorn so I understand why we needed to sign him on (he was also un-contracted). We obviously persisted throughout the season with Cegs as number one ruck, however, it just hasn't worked out and I wonder how much was due to McEvoy's inability to handle full-time ruck duties.

Disagree. We are very far away. As constructed and maybe with a bit of luck along with a favourable draw we could maybe squeak into the 8 but I think it’s unlikely. The sooner the some of here realise we have a couple of hard years ahead the easier it will be. I’m not scared of these hard times to come so long as the club are smart with their list decisions. By this I mean not trading in stop gap solutions and instead investing / developing our youth.
You should look closer at our wins against Collingwood, Geelong, GWS and West Coast (both away) late last year and our wins early in the season against Brisbane and Richmond at the MCG and put less emphasis on the bullshit hub games which were so compromised and hated by the club, in particular the playing group.
The following team can mix it with anyone, just need a couple more A graders to make it a real contender.
Hardwick Frawley Scrimshaw
Sicily Frost Impey
Day Mitchell Scully
Wingard Lewis Smith
Breust Gunston Burgoyne
McEvoy Worpel O’Meara
Greaves Shiels O’Brien Cousins

Really need to nail this draft/ trade period.

My recollection, someone might want to correct me... we offered Ceglar a 3 year contract at the end of 2019 and a 'promise' he'll get more first ruck opportunities.

2019 was his best season at Hawthorn so I understand why we needed to sign him on (he was also un-contracted). We obviously persisted throughout the season with Cegs as number one ruck, however, it just hasn't worked out and I wonder how much was due to McEvoy's inability to handle full-time ruck duties.
Also, I think he had interest from other clubs wanting him, so we moved quickly to re-sign him.

You should look closer at our wins against Collingwood, Geelong, GWS and West Coast (both away) late last year and our wins early in the season against Brisbane and Richmond at the MCG and put less emphasis on the bullshit hub games which were so compromised and hated by the club, in particular the playing group.
The following team can mix it with anyone, just need a couple more A graders to make it a real contender.
Hardwick Frawley Scrimshaw
Sicily Frost Impey
Day Mitchell Scully
Wingard Lewis Smith
Breust Gunston Burgoyne
McEvoy Worpel O’Meara
Greaves Shiels O’Brien Cousins

Really need to nail this draft/ trade period.
I haven’t had the time, but I’d like to compare the sides in those last 4 games of 2019, with the teams that took apart the Lions and Tigers this year and then the sides that got pulled apart by the Demons, Giants and Dockers.

I really think the personnel wouldn’t be much different, yet the form and output would be poles apart.

Was told this morning that Brown is almost a certainty barring a last minute change of heart or the list sizes gets reduced more then expected.

Club has no confidence in Patton to ever get his body right but will give him every chance in 2021.
Doesn’t bode well for Mitch Lewis either. Are we not rebuilding ?? Why would we take on a 28 yr old that’s afraid of contact And worse on the ground than Patton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason why we get Brown is because we're really not confident on Patton's durability, and wanting to give some extra time for Lewis & Jeka to develop.

And let's be honest - why would we be confident with Patton's body holding up? He didn't play in his last year at GWS, from all reports had a great preseason with us and got his body into shape...yet got injured quite a few times this season. I hope his body holds up for him, but we need to be realistic.

Brown would be a disaster & means more years of peddling away!
I don’t want Brown and it remains to be seen if it even happens, but 1 list spot for a tall forward does not condemn the list.

If the rumours are true can't see us offering more than Pick 21 and maybe an exchange of later picks for Brown. Almost everything that has happened this year has reduced his value:

1) North Melbourne are forcing him out of the door. They don't want him.
2) He's had his statistically worst season.
3) He has been injury prone this year.
4) He's out of contract. Their leverage is low.
5) He's going to be 28 in November. Older players usually have somewhat reduced value (as a side note this value seems to fall off a cliff once they hit 30).

And if North aren't happy with that I'm more than happy for him to look elsewhere. Think it's a poor fit for us.

Straight swap for O’Brien.

Take it or leave it

I would prefer TOB

I don't think Brown is a good fit for us but let's not alter history here.

In 2017, 2018 and 2019 he kicked 61, 63 and 64 goals. Until this year his lowest was 18 in his debut season. The most goals O'Brien has kicked is 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back