2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, you have had your fair share of criticism. It is interesting that you have left the midfield intact. That midfield on paper looks formidable.
They will be able to match it with the best in terms of winning the ball- Worpel, Mitchell, Shiel, JOM with Finn / Downie added in. To be fair to your
comments, even if club asks the question of the players, it does not mean they will want to move or a trade could be facilitated.

Main area that would be weakened is forward line, will have Paton/Lewis/TOB with new comers Walker/ Hanrahan. You would think could not get
much worse than bottom 4, even we had those players in this year. Most people want some level of experience to guide younger guys and slow
transition.

What would you do with those picks? would you target under 23 years old like Impey/Scrimshaw type from other clubs or go to the draft. One theory is to bottom out for 3-5 years, hit the draft and once have a nucleus, trade to get other players from other clubs, it will be a lengthy process.

Thanks for taking my comments seriously. Firstly I’m only suggesting we sell blokes who will not be playing in our next premiership. Who will be 30 next year or already 30.

Without extra first round picks we’re delaying moving up the ladder because I can’t see our position being better next year. Even if we keep those blokes in the team, so why not try and get something while we can. Keeping these blokes longer is just delaying the enviable. We need to rebuilt.

Unfortunately we left this build to late, we should have been in the draft for the past 3 years. Our prospect now would be completely different.

I don’t think we’re better than a bottom 4 side. Unfortunately the gaps in our list can’t be patched, we need a couple of elite key position players. Clubs don’t trade these blokes and if they do, there are question marks. We don’t have any real key stars. Hopefully Lewis turns into something. But I have very little hope in Paton/TOB and nothing in our backline just role players.

I would go to the draft and build. I would target key position players and try and land a couple this year. Denver Grainger-Barras is the one that will still be available at our pick. Riley Thilthorpe & Logan McDonald will be gone. I’d love Logan McDonald. Denver Grainger-Barras would give us a 10 year player our already solid (young) backline can develop around. The Then, maybe some outside class or small crafty forward or if we get lucky a dynamic game changer mid/forward to add to our already solid midfield.

Next year, our first pick. The best key forward in the draft. By the time we get the players we need to compete in finals again. Our midfield stars will be looking 30 down the barrel.

Get the key position players and build around them. We’re rebuilding I’m just hope everyone else realises before we waist another 3 years in denial.

Rumours Brisbane have tabled a 3 year deal for Smith..... Fagan at it again......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Smith would be the hardest person on our list to immediately replace because while he’s 31 he still has both elite running capacity AND line breaking ability. Nobody on our list currently has those two traits. While his form has been up and down the past two years he’s still an invaluable asset and losing him would be really tough especially because he can walk as an UFA. To be honest I don’t really want to lose him unless we get second round compensation but we all know that isn’t going to happen lol.

Smith would be the hardest person on our list to immediately replace because while he’s 31 he still has both elite running capacity AND line breaking ability. Nobody on our list currently has those two traits. While his form has been up and down the past two years he’s still an invaluable asset and losing him would be really tough especially because he can walk as an UFA. To be honest I don’t really want to lose him unless we get second round compensation but we all know that isn’t going to happen lol.
2nd nowhere near worth what his onfield value is to us.

Really hope smith accepts our 2 year deal... our wings stocks are horrible. Pay out ceglar just get him off the list. You don’t deserve to play AFL footy if you get towelled up by a washed up spud like Mumford

As much as I love Issac Smith, I'm happy for him to explore his options so he can extend his playing career with another club while we look to rebuild.

Having said that though, we also need to be careful on how many old experienced premiership players we lose each season. We definitely need to drip feed it, because we need to keep some experienced players on our list to provide leadership and guidance to the kids we bring in via the draft. It's a balance.

Our wing position will definitely be worse in the next couple of years if we lose smith, but it also opens up a position for other players to have a crack at it as we transition and look to find a long term solution. Bit of short term pain for long term gain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for taking my comments seriously. Firstly I’m only suggesting we sell blokes who will not be playing in our next premiership. Who will be 30 next year or already 30.

Without extra first round picks we’re delaying moving up the ladder because I can’t see our position being better next year. Even if we keep those blokes in the team, so why not try and get something while we can. Keeping these blokes longer is just delaying the enviable. We need to rebuilt.

Unfortunately we left this build to late, we should have been in the draft for the past 3 years. Our prospect now would be completely different.

I don’t think we’re better than a bottom 4 side. Unfortunately the gaps in our list can’t be patched, we need a couple of elite key position players. Clubs don’t trade these blokes and if they do, there are question marks. We don’t have any real key stars. Hopefully Lewis turns into something. But I have very little hope in Paton/TOB and nothing in our backline just role players.

I would go to the draft and build. I would target key position players and try and land a couple this year. Denver Grainger-Barras is the one that will still be available at our pick. Riley Thilthorpe & Logan McDonald will be gone. I’d love Logan McDonald. Denver Grainger-Barras would give us a 10 year player our already solid (young) backline can develop around. The Then, maybe some outside class or small crafty forward or if we get lucky a dynamic game changer mid/forward to add to our already solid midfield.

Next year, our first pick. The best key forward in the draft. By the time we get the players we need to compete in finals again. Our midfield stars will be looking 30 down the barrel.

Get the key position players and build around them. We’re rebuilding I’m just hope everyone else realises before we waist another 3 years in denial.

DGB doesn't look like he going to be a true key back - he looks to be similar to Scrimshaw and Sicily in play style (interceptor) and we don't need another one of those.

I'd much rather see us pick best available which will be one of: JUH (maybe the WBD recruiter falls asleep and doesn't match?), Macdonald (KPF), Thilthorpe (KPF/RUC), Hollands (In/Out Mid) or Phillips (In Mid).

Absolute worst case scenario if Adelaide somehow get the 1st rounder for B.Crouch i'd still prefer to see us take a highly rated mid such as Bruhn, Campbell (bid at least to force Sydney to match), or even stretch a little for Perkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back