2020 Final Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge incentive for the Magpies to win and play the Saints at a neutral venue or lose and travel to Perth to play the Eagles.

I was arguing this in another thread

IE that the Pies would be more desperate if the Dogs won yesterday

I think I got "shouted down" ;)

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've got a very hard choice choosing between Ellis-Yolmen, Answerth and Coleman. Do we want a lock down defender, a big bodied defensive mid or a pressure X factor forward?

For me, it depends on whether we play Geelong or Richmond. If it's Geelong, I'd be more inclined to go CEY or Coleman over Answerth. Against Richmond, I'd probably lean towards Noah. I really want to see Ah Chee and Andrews down back together though, so am hesitant to rotate Cal forward again.

A left of field option could be to play Rich up the ground and leave the flanks for Birchall and Ah Chee and run with something like:

Lester Andrews Answerth
Birchall Gardiner Ah Chee
McCluggage Berry Rich
Martin Neale Lyons
Zorko Hipwood Robinson
Cameron McStay Rayner

Int: Bailey, Starcevich, McCarthy, Oscar

The plan being Rich can rotate from the wing to around the middle and half back and Robinson rotates back to his defensive wing/forward role.

Rich could be a weapon at stoppages and with his work driving the ball forward could both catch the opposition off guard and be a difference maker.
CEY out for me. We need as many runners against Richmond. CEY just to flat footed.

I'd pick Andrews, Gardiner, Lester, Rich, Starcevich and Ah Chee as our first string defenders. Birchall or Answerth for the seventh spot.

Next year

Hopefully Payne displaces Lester next season to give us another tall back. Or Adams.

Hinge and Witherden to push Birchall out and Starcevich into the midfield

Rich to the wing a few years ago I say yes..
His defensive pressure is great very rarely gets beaten on a one on one.
He is a lock in defence.
I think Starc coming along very nicely his skills are very good.
Where I think Answerth needs to work on his disposal still.. Although great if we want to lock down a forward.
Do we put him in and get him to run with Bolton?

Fantastic news that Harris looks like being right for the Qualifying Final, apparently he ran well at training on Friday.

I think Jack Payne will end up being a very good KPD for us but I was worried about him manning up the likes of Lynch, Hawkins, Kennedy, Dixon during the finals series.

No excuses, we will be going into finals at full strength.

I would still consider keeping Payne in the team. No idea who I would drop. But I still think at times a second proper tall wouldnt go astray

Having Payne makes total sense, but I suspect he's mostly likely to go out and we'll try to manage with Lester and Gardiner.

I would still consider keeping Payne in the team. No idea who I would drop. But I still think at times a second proper tall wouldnt go astray

Watching Dangerfield taking marks on the lead against Sydney I was thinking Payne might be our only defender quick enough to take him.

Watching Dangerfield taking marks on the lead against Sydney I was thinking Payne might be our only defender quick enough to take him.

Starcevich is quick enough I reckon, but not sure whether he will be able to cope with Dangerfield's strength and body positioning.

Cats are a tough one because Rohan also got off the chain against us and he's far too quick for Lester and too good overhead for anyone shorter.

We've got a very hard choice choosing between Ellis-Yolmen, Answerth and Coleman. Do we want a lock down defender, a big bodied defensive mid or a pressure X factor forward?

For me, it depends on whether we play Geelong or Richmond. If it's Geelong, I'd be more inclined to go CEY or Coleman over Answerth. Against Richmond, I'd probably lean towards Noah. I really want to see Ah Chee and Andrews down back together though, so am hesitant to rotate Cal forward again.

A left of field option could be to play Rich up the ground and leave the flanks for Birchall and Ah Chee and run with something like:

Lester Andrews Answerth
Birchall Gardiner Ah Chee
McCluggage Berry Rich
Martin Neale Lyons
Zorko Hipwood Robinson
Cameron McStay Rayner

Int: Bailey, Starcevich, McCarthy, Oscar

The plan being Rich can rotate from the wing to around the middle and half back and Robinson rotates back to his defensive wing/forward role.

Rich could be a weapon at stoppages and with his work driving the ball forward could both catch the opposition off guard and be a difference maker.
Or how about Rich in the guts as I have mentioned previously. Imagine first clearance out of the middle with a Rich bullet to 6 on 6. I know he struggled in the old days with a tagger but a team can only have so many taggers.....

Starcevich is quick enough I reckon, but not sure whether he will be able to cope with Dangerfield's strength and body positioning.

Cats are a tough one because Rohan also got off the chain against us and he's far too quick for Lester and too good overhead for anyone shorter.

I don't think anyone is quick enough to match it with either of them really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will be Saturday night again according to a foxsports article "AFL wants a Saturday night final at the gabba"
Usually they want the QF losers to have a longer break than the EF winners in the 2nd week of finals so I was expecting the 2 QF to be Thursday and Friday nights.

Having Payne makes total sense, but I suspect he's mostly likely to go out and we'll try to manage with Lester and Gardiner.
I too am leaning towards Payne playing against Richmond. Chol played last week (against Crows) as the second ruck/resting forward like he did when we last played Richmond. Hopefully Payne has learnt a bit from that game. I would definitely consider him against Richmond.
Lester got shown up really badly by Rowhan at the SCG so if we play Geelong maybe Payne tries to take Rohan (although I think Rohan is faster).
McStay plays cause there is no one else, although if we had of exposed Ballenden or Skinner or Fullerton a little earlier in the season perhaps they would have more experience and would be an option

We were the Saturday night game last year.

It's generally pretty rare though I think. Usual trend seems to be playing the QF's on Thursday and Friday nights and then the elimination finals on Saturday. It does seem like they mix things up a bit year on year though so who knows.

Thursday, October 1
First Qualifying Final

Port Adelaide v Geelong at Adelaide Oval, 7:10pm CST / 7.40pm EST

Friday, October 2
Second Qualifying Final

Brisbane Lions v Richmond at the Gabba, 7.50pm EST

Saturday, October 3
Second Elimination Final

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs at the Gabba, 4.40pm EST

First Elimination Final
West Coast vs Collingwood at Optus Stadium, 6.10pm WST / 8.10pm EST

Thursday, October 1
First Qualifying Final

Port Adelaide v Geelong at Adelaide Oval, 7:10pm CST / 7.40pm EST

Friday, October 2
Second Qualifying Final

Brisbane Lions v Richmond at the Gabba, 7.50pm EST

Saturday, October 3
Second Elimination Final

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs at the Gabba, 4.40pm EST

First Elimination Final
West Coast vs Collingwood at Optus Stadium, 6.10pm WST / 8.10pm EST

Awesome.

Glad Saints got to play where they wanted too. It was their right to choose.
Bad for us if we lose.

Last night I was thinking what a good thing it is that the AFL are shipping them off to Adelaide Oval so that they don't have that extra game at the Gabba, plus have to travel.

Looking at this table of where club's have played this year, St Kilda (6 times) and Collingwood (7 times) have played at the Gabba the most aside from us that has played there 9 times:

Brisbane Lions History
ClubsGabbaMetriconCazalysAdel OvalOptusMCGDGHMBASCGGiantsDarwinAlice Spr.
Port Adelaide46717
Brisbane Lions94111117
Richmond262411117
Geelong3413131117
West Coast46717
St Kilda63214117
Western Bulldogs18124117
Collingwood71331217
Totals363721513101033511136

Bad for us if we lose.

Last night I was thinking what a good thing it is that the AFL are shipping them off to Adelaide Oval so that they don't have that extra game at the Gabba, plus have to travel.

Looking at this table of where club's have played this year, St Kilda (6 times) and Collingwood (7 times) have played at the Gabba the most aside from us that has played there 9 times:

Brisbane Lions History
ClubsGabbaMetriconCazalysAdel OvalOptusMCGDGHMBASCGGiantsDarwinAlice Spr.
Port Adelaide46717
Brisbane Lions94111117
Richmond262411117
Geelong3413131117
West Coast46717
St Kilda63214117
Western Bulldogs18124117
Collingwood71331217
Totals363721513101033511136
We played 14 games in Qld.
Still doesn’t even go close matching the regular 17 games at the MCG for Richmond.
That’s an absolute joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back