big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Sydney Swans post net loss of more than $6 million in coronavirus-affected season, require $1.5 million loan
And now we know Pridham's motivation in calling for a review....

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

Sydney Swans post net loss of more than $6 million in coronavirus-affected season, require $1.5 million loan
That's huge, but i doubt if it will be the biggest loss occurred by an Australian sports team this past year.
The worrying bit for me is i think there will still be restrictions in place at the start of the 2021 season and I'm not sure how long they will last.

Looks like the base distribution was reduced to $9.2m given how NM always separate base from other distributions.

..............................$2020.........$2019
AFL – Distributions 9,207,459 11,003,144

Mixed news i guess you would call this and very sobering.
I hope I'm wrong but i think the 2021 season is going to be very tough as, but hopefully not as tough as this past season

In some ways, it could be worse.

Members might be willing to cop one season of not being able to attend (especially when they've already put at least some of their money in), but 2 might make some (re)think and numbers could fall significantly.

Also, particularly for Vic clubs due to the high venue costs at MCG/Docklands, getting crowds limited to 25% or so wont exactly help revenues a great deal.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
All Victorian AFL clubs have now reported for the year. Revenues dropped 28% to 451m across all 10 clubs, which made a combined operating loss of -2.59m, but a combined operating profit of 9.75m for 2020

Victorian AFL clubs claimed more than 44m in Jobkeeper entitlements this year, with North Melbourne claiming the least (2.81m) and Richmond by far claiming the most (10.8m). Carlton did not reveal a figure.

AFl distributions to Victorian clubs were reduced by 20% down to 115.05m with Hawthorn recieving the least at 9.1m (-19%) and the Saints recieving the most at 16.16m. (-22%).

Victorian clubs took a hit to membership and gate revenues of 35.64% down to 111.04m for 2020. St Kilda were the least affected (-15%), while at the other end Collingwood & Geelong both copped 48% drops in attendance revenue.

Victorian AFL clubs took a 40% hit to sponsorship revenues, down to 81.1m in 2020. Geelong were the least affected (-20%), while Hawthorn copped a massive 56% drop in sponsorship revenues.

Victorian AFL clubs have spent 21.% less on their football departments in 2020, down to 193m. Western Bulldogs spending the least with 18.77m (down 27%), and Collingwood spending the most at 26.4m (-14%). Melbourne recorded the biggest decrease in spend, down 28.4%

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
In some ways, it could be worse.

Members might be willing to cop one season of not being able to attend (especially when they've already put at least some of their money in), but 2 might make some (re)think and numbers could fall significantly.

Also, particularly for Vic clubs due to the high venue costs at MCG/Docklands, getting crowds limited to 25% or so wont exactly help revenues a great deal.

Time to go back to playing at local venues then, especially if crowds at the major grounds are restricted.

Don’t need to be up to scratch - I will happily pay full price to stand in the rain/mud at Moorabin and drink warm tinnies and eat cold dimmies.

I'm sure the club sponsors, coterie, and VIPs would love that.

Not to mention all the media.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
All Victorian AFL clubs have now reported for the year. Revenues dropped 28% to 451m across all 10 clubs, which made a combined operating loss of -2.59m, but a combined operating profit of 9.75m for 2020

Victorian AFL clubs claimed more than 44m in Jobkeeper entitlements this year, with North Melbourne claiming the least (2.81m) and Richmond by far claiming the most (10.8m). Carlton did not reveal a figure.

AFl distributions to Victorian clubs were reduced by 20% down to 115.05m with Hawthorn recieving the least at 9.1m (-19%) and the Saints recieving the most at 16.16m. (-22%).

Victorian clubs took a hit to membership and gate revenues of 35.64% down to 111.04m for 2020. St Kilda were the least affected (-15%), while at the other end Collingwood & Geelong both copped 48% drops in attendance revenue.

Victorian AFL clubs took a 40% hit to sponsorship revenues, down to 81.1m in 2020. Geelong were the least affected (-20%), while Hawthorn copped a massive 56% drop in sponsorship revenues.

Victorian AFL clubs have spent 21.% less on their football departments in 2020, down to 193m. Western Bulldogs spending the least with 18.77m (down 27%), and Collingwood spending the most at 26.4m (-14%). Melbourne recorded the biggest decrease in spend, down 28.4%

A sign of the times and i fear the worse for the first part on next season.
There will have have to be cut backs at all clubs at all levels just the same as there will have to be in other sports

On a semi related note, Melbourne Victory seem to be sending out messages saying they expect to be allowed crowds of 50% capacity when their seasons opens in a few weeks.

Assuming this is true, other Vic venues (such as MCG & Docklands) would expect similar or better (better because more time will have passed).

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
On a semi related note, Melbourne Victory seem to be sending out messages saying they expect to be allowed crowds of 50% capacity when their seasons opens in a few weeks.

Assuming this is true, other Vic venues (such as MCG & Docklands) would expect similar or better (better because more time will have passed).

It might be that its a case of "50% up to 25K"

Health officials may allow up to X% capacity, but covid protocols of the sport will change that final number allowed in.

For the 2 finals at AO last year, SA Health allowed 50% capacity, ie almost 27,000. But because the AFL covid protocols said no seat could be sold in the first row at ground level, no seats could be sold in the 4 bays/aisles by the interchange area, seats close to the coaches boxes couldn't be sold, spacing in pods up on the hill etc it meant a bit less than 25,500 seats/tickets were available to be purchased/allocated.

Same thing happened at Suncorp for the RL State of Origin game in mid November. Qld government allowed 100% capacity which is 52,500 but because of NRL covid protocols there were areas where they didn't sell seats and the crowd was 49,100. It's rare that a SoO game at Suncorp has got less than 52,000 since the redevelopment in 2003.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Brisbane is the last of the reports available for free on club websites. All the others need to be obtained through ASIC (which has raised the price AGAIN, now $42 each uncertified). These typically become available anywhere between now and the end of feb, except for GWS and Swans who could be anywhere from now until the death of the universe.

Last edited:

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Snap shot of Port’s financial report. AGM is tonight I believe

After taking in to account one-off COVID-19 related and restructuring costs of $1.186m, depreciation and non-cash balance sheet adjustments, the Port Adelaide Football Club incurred a statutory loss of $4,040,579.

As a result, the club finished the season with additional borrowings of $4.275 million, increasing its overall debt position to $12 million.

Back