News 2020 Fixture Discussion - Updated Rounds 14-18

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I think this can warrant it's own thread given how much it will impact this season.

We have 1 x 5 day break, 1 x 10 day break (bye) & 1 x 6 day break from rounds 9-12. Not bad. With North/Hawks/WC/Freo let's hope we can go 3-1 out of that block.

Geelong hit hard with 2 x 4 day breaks and 2 x 5 day breaks...that's seriously rough all back-to-back.
WC are well poised...2 x 6 day breaks, a bye & 1 x 7 day break...all games at Optus with crowds now let in so they get a proper home ground advantage.

The other factor to consider is the advantages a team would have playing a team when they have a short break...eg in rd 12 Port play Geelong off a 6 day break while Geelong only get 4 days.

Last edited:
Round 9

Carlton v Hawthorn
Optus Stadium
Thursday 30 July, 3:40pm (5:40pm AEST)
Live on FOX Footy

Round 10

Bye

Round 11

West Coast v Carlton
Optus Stadium
Sunday 9 August, 1:35pm (3:35pm AEST)
Live on Channel 7

Round 12

Fremantle v Carlton
Optus Stadium
Saturday 15 August, 6:10pm (8:10pm AEST)
Live on Channel 7

https://thecarltonshop.com.au/?utm_medium=website&utm_source=footer&utm_campaign=stay_navy

Can't wait for the feeling of anywhere, anytime

Think we are just about there

Yep...except I don't care for Marvel. Plays different to every other stadium due to being indoors.
Would prefer if we could be a Richmond/Collingwood and never have to play there - especially when teams like Saints/Dogs/North are far better teams when they play there.

Round 9

Carlton v Hawthorn
Optus Stadium
Thursday 30 July, 3:40pm (5:40pm AEST)
Live on FOX Footy

Round 10

Bye

Round 11

West Coast v Carlton
Optus Stadium
Sunday 9 August, 1:35pm (3:35pm AEST)
Live on Channel 7

Round 12

Fremantle v Carlton
Optus Stadium
Saturday 15 August, 6:10pm (8:10pm AEST)
Live on Channel 7

https://thecarltonshop.com.au/?utm_medium=website&utm_source=footer&utm_campaign=stay_navy

2 x free-to-air out of 3 games is nice, as is a prime-time Saturday night game vs Freo.

Only the AFL could sell playing effectively 4 rounds of football over what it would normally take 4 rounds to play as "cramming" the schedule.

Normally there is 36 games played in 24 days, now we are getting 33 games in 20 days. Carlton play round 9 on a Thursday (5.40 AEST Yay) have a Bye in round 10 and play round 11 10 days after playing round 9 (same break as between rounds 5 & 6) then have a 6 day break for round 12.

The only reasons for this is to give Fox more solo games in TV friendly spots they would normally lost in the ratings and for the AFL to soften us up for more mid week games.

Similar size to the MCG.
I think it's the same length but slgihtly narrower than the MCG, whcih brings me to did anyone notice in the Geelong Collingwood game last week there was a 50m penalty paid to the kick in after a behind and how the 50m stopped just inside the defensive edge of the square, not in the centre cirlce?

Such a dumb time to play Hawthorn. Anyone with young kids won't be able to sit down and watch it properly.
Will to have IQ it, and watch it on delay.
Anyone who works will likely still getting home from work at quarter time (if they are lucky). And its only on Fox.

I think this can warrant it's own thread given how much it will impact this season.

We have 1 x 5 day break, a bye & 2 x 6 day breaks from rounds 9-12. Not bad. With North/Hawks/WC/Freo let's hope we can go 3-1 out of that block.

Geelong hit hard with 2 x 4 day breaks and 2 x 5 day breaks...that's seriously rough all back-to-back.
WC are well poised...2 x 6 day breaks, a bye & 1 x 7 day break...all games at Optus with crowds now let in so they get a proper home ground advantage.

The other factor to consider is the advantages a team would have playing a team when they have a short break...eg in rd 12 Port play Geelong off a 6 day break while Geelong only get 4 days.

5 days from North to Hawthorn, 10 days from Hawthorn to West Coast, the 6 days from West Coast to Freo. No?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I will say, the idea of only playing each team once in a 17-game season has really grown on me.

As this year is unfolding you realise that every game means so much more, and it makes the competition so much fairer without certain teams doubling-up on easy-beats in the return fixtures.

Would love to see it retained going forward (unlikely though given the AFL will be desperate to maximise earnings given the COVID shitshow, so they'll want more games not less).

One thing I will say, the idea of only playing each team once in a 17-game season has really grown on me.

As this year is unfolding you realise that every game means so much more, and it makes the competition so much fairer without certain teams doubling-up on easy-beats in the return fixtures.

Would love to see it retained going forward (unlikely though given the AFL will be desperate to maximise earnings given the COVID shitshow, so they'll want more games not less).

Shortsighted by the AFL to think that 22 games is necessary.
Play 17 games a season, and every team home and away over 2 years. Make the travel as even as possible (ie every non-Perth team plays Dockers away one year, Eagles the next etc.)
If they absolutely must play more games, add in a rivalry round, then every team gets 9 home and 9 away games.

Shortsighted by the AFL to think that 22 games is necessary.
Play 17 games a season, and every team home and away over 2 years. Make the travel as even as possible (ie every non-Perth team plays Dockers away one year, Eagles the next etc.)
If they absolutely must play more games, add in a rivalry round, then every team gets 9 home and 9 away games.

22 games for me, I want to see as much football as possible, especially in the next 5 years when the blues will be dominant

Such a dumb time to play Hawthorn. Anyone with young kids won't be able to sit down and watch it properly.

Agree it won’t suit everyone but I’m looking at this from a different angle...looking forward to watching the game (or 1st half anyway) live with my 5yo. It’ll be a bit of a novelty for him.

Just need to convince him that we’re only playing 2 quarters this week! Which isn’t too different from how our team seems to approach some matches.

Yeah 3:40pm AWST...particularly rough on WA Carlton fans.
5:40pm AEST though so after work hours at least...but yeah not a great time slot. It also goes through traditional dinner time.

Reckon we're a bit stiff not to get the prime time slot after our game that went to Melb v Port.

Yeah nice in theory for evenness and every game feeling like they mean more but 6 less rounds a year, meaning 54 less games, would cost the AFL a huge amount in broadcast deal, advertising etc that it's probably not commercially viable.

They've made it slightly fairer recently with the whole 6/6/6 gradings.

I think it's the same length but slgihtly narrower than the MCG, whcih brings me to did anyone notice in the Geelong Collingwood game last week there was a 50m penalty paid to the kick in after a behind and how the 50m stopped just inside the defensive edge of the square, not in the centre cirlce?
I was at the game fuming about it to my mates haha

Yeah nice in theory for evenness and every game feeling like they mean more but 6 less rounds a year, meaning 54 less games, would cost the AFL a huge amount in broadcast deal, advertising etc that it's probably not commercially viable.

They've made it slightly fairer recently with the whole 6/6/6 gradings.

45 less games.
But also, not every game is equal to the broadcasters. There are crappy time slots to fit in games, which they’re not overly bothered by. So if say you gave every club 2 byes, therefore having 13 x 9 game rounds and 6 x 6 game rounds, there’d be less weeks, but also less junk games and less junk timeslots.

If you added a rivalry round to bring it to 18 games each, the broadcasters would probably be very happy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back