News 2020 Fixture Discussion - Updated Rounds 14-18

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this can warrant it's own thread given how much it will impact this season.

We have 1 x 5 day break, 1 x 10 day break (bye) & 1 x 6 day break from rounds 9-12. Not bad. With North/Hawks/WC/Freo let's hope we can go 3-1 out of that block.

Geelong hit hard with 2 x 4 day breaks and 2 x 5 day breaks...that's seriously rough all back-to-back.
WC are well poised...2 x 6 day breaks, a bye & 1 x 7 day break...all games at Optus with crowds now let in so they get a proper home ground advantage.

The other factor to consider is the advantages a team would have playing a team when they have a short break...eg in rd 12 Port play Geelong off a 6 day break while Geelong only get 4 days.
We get Freo after a 6 day break, they get 5 days. Our previous game is day, theirs is night. Reckon that's a nice little advantage Andy Russell will be happy with. Could be a very important game for us too. Noice!

Very difficult period to manage workloads, though we have it ok at the moment because of the bye. Perhaps in the next block we'll have some short turn arounds, but it's a good opportunity to see how our depth looks. I imagine (nearly) everyone will get a chance this season to perform in the ones, and for that reason am not too disappointed that younger guys like LOB, Fish and Stocker are yet to crack in, they'll get a go.

Really glad we have Russell in this situation, I imagine him and Teague will be working closely together to get the right players up for the right games.

I'm fairly convinced that the team to win the flag this crazy season will have a strong bill of health, and will have managed the clusters of games successfully.

Ouch, Collingwood are travelling every single week from rounds 9-12.
From Perth --> Brisbane --> Adelaide --> Brisbane.

While also have 2 x 4 day breaks and 1 x 5 day break. 4 day breaks including travel is pretty brutal.
I'd be pissed if we got their draw.

ha - cats have 4 in 14 - ******* fantastic - can hear scott bursting a blood vessel from here..........

b6548a7dd27d542c223fb3b22061191546ca51f4-gif.741862

ha - cats have 4 in 14 - ******* fantastic - can hear scott bursting a blood vessel from here..........

So they should, after the armchair ride they usually get from HO playing a clump of games at home.

Shortsighted by the AFL to think that 22 games is necessary.
Play 17 games a season, and every team home and away over 2 years. Make the travel as even as possible (ie every non-Perth team plays Dockers away one year, Eagles the next etc.)
If they absolutely must play more games, add in a rivalry round, then every team gets 9 home and 9 away games.
Or do it like a hub. Fly in play both over 7 days, fly back. 8days in Perth, 8days in Brisbane. Probably don't need it for Sydney.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ouch, Collingwood are travelling every single week from rounds 9-12.
From Perth --> Brisbane --> Adelaide --> Brisbane.

While also have 2 x 4 day breaks and 1 x 5 day break. 4 day breaks including travel is pretty brutal.
I'd be pissed if we got their draw.
Makes up for the last 10+years.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely Brisbane and Gold Coast will have to play outside Queensland soon. If not and Brisbane win this year it’ll mean * all. I won’t believe theyve earnt it unless they have to back up short periods between games while travelling. Look at melbournes schedule over 14 days. Gabba, AO, Blundstone and back to Gabba. Now if a team wins this year off the back of a tough schedule. Theyve bloody earnt the removal of the * on the premiership cup. And this stage imo Brisbane are getting a soft run.

Did they? Why?

The fixture only just got announced, can't see why they'd change their mind so quickly...and Essendon v Brisbane is on Friday night at 7:50pm.
Makes sense for both clubs to move back a day considering the original plan was to play after a 5 day break followed by a 9 day break.
Now it will be 6 & 8 day breaks.

Comfortable wins are going to be so important for teams so that the older/key players don't have to redline in the last quarter and they can coast conserving the body.

Games like the one on the weekend will make backing up the next week on a 5 day break difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back