Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Four weeks of the Qld hub:
-Brisbane and Gold Coast* play the four SA/WA teams, all as home games.
-Each SA and WA team plays the two teams from the other state, one as a home game and one as an away game. Plus the two Qld teams as away games (as above)

It means that ADL/PA/WCE/FRE will have lost a home game, but I think that’s unavoidable. And the Qld teams have played four home games so will get a lot of travel coming up. It also means the derbies are kept in the bank.

*As Gold Coast have already played Port, one week will need St Kilda to fly up and host Port at Metricon. Saints get that gig because in the original fixture they were playing that matchup as a home game in Shanghai anyway. Gold Coast to fly south and play a Vic or NSW team.

Eg round 2:
Bris v WCE
GC v Adel
PA v Fre

Round 3
Bris v Fre
St Kilda v PA
Adel v WCE
(Someone v GC)

Round 4
Bris v Adel
GC v Fre
WCE v PA

Round 5
Bris v PA
GC v WCE
Fre v Adel
Wouldn't it make more sense for GC and Brisbane to play two away games at the other side's stadium? If they play four home games during this period they will need to travel too much later in the season and it will get messy.
As for us flying to Queensland for one day to play a home game... I know we need to make sacrifices during this period but surely it makes more sense for Port to fly to Melbourne to play us if it's our home game?

Wouldn't it make more sense for GC and Brisbane to play two away games at the other side's stadium? If they play four home games during this period they will need to travel too much later in the season and it will get messy.
As for us flying to Queensland for one day to play a home game... I know we need to make sacrifices during this period but surely it makes more sense for Port to fly to Melbourne to play us if it's our home game?

Fair points.

1. If the Qld sides are playing away games then the SA/WA sides are losing more home games, which doesn’t seem especially fair since it’s in Qld. I reckon let Brisbane get a month of home games at the Gabba, it’ll give them the opportunity to get their season away to a flyer.
2. The majority of Vic teams won’t be leaving Vic for that four week period, whereas Port will be away from home for about seven weeks. Someone (doesn’t have to be the Saints) can fly up to Qld for a week. To offset the loss of that “home” game they can be one of the teams to get nine home games instead of eight.

Fair points.

1. If the Qld sides are playing away games then the SA/WA sides are losing more home games, which doesn’t seem especially fair since it’s in Qld. I reckon let Brisbane get a month of home games at the Gabba, it’ll give them the opportunity to get their season away to a flyer.
2. The majority of Vic teams won’t be leaving Vic for that four week period, whereas Port will be away from home for about seven weeks. Someone (doesn’t have to be the Saints) can fly up to Qld for a week. To offset the loss of that “home” game they can be one of the teams to get nine home games instead of eight.

It depends on how they define "fair"--- is the AFL going to prioritise 'fairness' for the displaced clubs over those of the other 14 teams. It doesn't seem fair to me that Brisbane has to use four of their eight home games in the first month and then play away 2 out of 3 weeks for the rest of the H&A season--- it also doesn't seem fair for Victorian sides to have to fly (by the sounds of it, in & out on the same day) to play a 'home' game against a team that's currently based in QLD.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair points.

McGowan seems pretty unwilling to back down on his no AFL in Perth stance.

If he doesn't show any indication of backing down, I expect Eagles/Dockers won't be getting any favours with regards to only playing away games at the start of the season.

McGowan seems pretty unwilling to back down on his no AFL in Perth stance.

If he doesn't show any indication of backing down, I expect Eagles/Dockers won't be getting any favours with regards to only playing away games at the start of the season.

The Eagles and Dockers can’t control the decisions made by the state government. I don’t see why they should be punished for them any more than is necessary.

When the government’s rulings actually provided the WA teams with a potential advantage the AFL was pretty quick to take it away in the interests of overall fairness. Now the situation is reversed (and the disadvantage is much more pronounced) they should be looking at equalizing the outcome as much as possible.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Is the plan to only release the future block by block (4-6 games at a time) or all at once now?
Pretty sure it will be the first 4 weeks and then wait and see what happens with border restrictions.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Rounds 2 - 5 released tomorrow. With home ground advantages diminished, I am not too fussed about the fixture - apart from when to watch.
The time slots are even more crucial than before. Considering the Non Victorian teams get all their matches live, hopefully the Melbourne clubs dont get shafted with the FTA games so people who would have gone to the games can watch.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reckon neutrality will play a part to determine home games due to uneven numbers. i.e 8 home games 8 away 1 neutral derby. Harder with melb clubs but same principle.
Hub teams will still count as home games.
Also with no marquee games no real dramas.
Interesting to see about Geelong do they get all KP games and Hawks Tassie. Reckon the AFL hold off some of the blockbusters in hope crowds return

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Also what's the go with Qld games. Their borders are shut so once the hub teams play what then? Or did they give AFL exemption? Or do away sides have to quarantine Sa was side style

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Considering the Non Victorian teams get all their matches live, hopefully the Melbourne clubs dont get shafted with the FTA games so people who would have gone to the games can watch.
Anyone can get a free 3 month trial to Kayo via Beteasy.

Back