Analysis 2020 Fixture - Thoughts and guesses

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we can lock in Gold Coast twice out of the bottom 6.
Port Adelaide twice from the middle 6.
GWS, Collingwood and Richmond from the top 6.

We will get Giants twice. Geelong, West Coast and/or Collingwood are my other picks. For the middle 6 it will depend if the AFL want to send us to Tasmania or Ballarat, so it’s between North, Wb and Hawthorn. Suns twice is locked in.

For the middle 6 it will depend if the AFL want to send us to Tasmania or Ballarat, so it’s between North, Wb and Hawthorn.
What's this "or"? :(

Six games in Melbourne might be on the cards now that people want to watch us, or is that too hopeful.
Hopefully the AFL just stick to the merger agreement and none of those six games include Geelong, Ballarat or Tasmania, with the latter being absurd that it is even included as a 'Victorian' game.

If we're fortunate enough to only score two top six sides twice (instead of three), our draw won't really be that different from this year. Instead of playing 7th (Dogs) and 9th (Hawks) twice we may get WCE (6th) and Giants (~4th).

I know the media have recently played up how 'soft' our draw was, but in reality we only got one bottom six team twice (GC - which is a given), and we faced four middle-six teams twice (Hawks, Dogs, Port, North). If we hadn't won 7 of those 8 games there's a fair chance those sides finish higher and we look like we've had the draw from hell!

I'll happily take any of the top 6 as repeat opposition. We'll have some confidence we can beat the Cats, Eagles and Giants, and if we got the Tigers or Pies twice then so be it. We need to figure out how to beat them, and what better way to do that than having a couple of cracks during the H&A season.

Injuries are another conversation, but I don't feel the draw will be that unfavorable to us.

Bring it.

Out of the top 6 I'm hoping we get Geelong and GWS twice. Richmond I definitely don't want to see twice on our fixture.

Beyond that a Friday night game in addition to Easter Thursday and 6 games in Melbourne are what we should be getting for a good fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You will be lucky - we've been trying for years to get more games on the MCG without too much success. No harm in trying though.

I think our point of difference is the Fitzroy faithful and the fact we broke the H&A attendance record. Here's hoping anyway!

AFL fixturing have already come out and said we will get a better draw not just because we have played well this year, but because we play exciting footy that goes well on TV, so I would expect 3 or 4 Friday night games with at least 1 at the Gabba (not counting Easter Thursday). We have proven we can draw crowds too with the highest MCG crowd for a Vic v Interstate team in the last round, so a few more MCG games hopefully.

Away to WC is a guarantee as we didn't have that game this year.

2 games against GWS would be a good bet considering how heated the final was, wouldn't be surprised if we played them in the first couple of weeks of the season too. I also think we will get 2 games vs Richmond including a Friday night at the Gabba, just a guess (or hope).

Last edited:
We can lock in 2 games against Gold Coast.

I believe we’ll still play Hawks twice.

Collingwood home and away.

I expect we’ll play GWS home and away.

So to the Bulldogs, in Ballarat due to our Ballarat draftees.

Will the AFL give us a WA or SA home and away match up?

We could get a year off a trip to Tassie might be due. Think we on the contract hence we always play there.
Hawks might think they get more supporters to the G to play us.

We could get a year off a trip to Tassie might be due. Think we on the contract hence we always play there.
Hawks might think they get more supporters to the G to play us.
I believe There is some dodgy clause of the contract where the Hawks have to play 2 Vic teams down there but we count as a Vic club cause of Fitzroy hence why we get sent down there each year.

Frustrating how that agreement works at the expense of the 6 game merger agreement.

Gold Coast, Collingwood, Geelong, West Coast, and Sydney. Just having a guess.

Edit: replace Sydney with Essendon

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back