Analysis 2020 Fixture - Thoughts and guesses

Remove this Banner Ad

Geezuz guys, accept what it is, it can't be changed. Complaining is not going to change a damn thing.

There are some seriously miserable people on this board. Never happy.

I have no problem as I'm sure most don't, you voicing your disapproval of the fixture, but to keep on and on about it is really tiresome. It's the same every year.
Enlighten me what time limits should be placed on any topic that is open to discussion. The fixture was released 26 hours ago. You make out that some people are debating for weeks, if not months. I see the trade thread is still ticking over weeks after the trade period closed, perhaps voice the same view on that board too.

Enlighten me what time limits should be placed on any topic that is open to discussion. The fixture was released 26 hours ago. You make out that some people are debating for weeks, if not months. I see the trade thread is still ticking over weeks after the trade period closed, perhaps voice the same view on that board too.
Ok, let’s talk about the games within the fixture?
I am really looking forward to the 4 game stretch between rounds 14 and 17 which includes a big game at the G against the Pies. Very excited for that😆
How about yourself? What games are you looking forward to?

As a melbourne based supporter i’m absolutely rapt with this fixture. National exposure, good chunks of winnable games, nearly all on thurs/fri/sat.

It really is much easier if you pretend that fitzroy merger agreement doesn’t exist. The AFL certainly does.

Plus we live in the time of HD broadcasts and Kayo. Accept it and move on.

GWS was brought up because it keeps getting held up as "see, they got seven Melbourne games" when in reality it's a fluke as they've only had four games in Melbourne the last four years, i.e. a lot lot more often than we have had. Fixturing isn't a zero sum game - it isn't a case of just switching opponents on a given weekend.

I saw why they were brought up. It’s not comparable because of the reasons I’ve mentioned. That’s the agreement signed and it should be honoured. Again, we shouldn’t be the side always stumping up Tasmania and Ballarat adventure at the expense of vic games. It’s funny that some deals are honoured for convenience and others simply disregarded. This is one I really think the club needs to be more vocal about having honoured.

Geezuz guys, accept what it is, it can't be changed. Complaining is not going to change a damn thing.

There are some seriously miserable people on this board. Never happy.

I have no problem as I'm sure most don't, you voicing your disapproval of the fixture, but to keep on and on about it is really tiresome. It's the same every year.

You have a terrible history of being unsympathetic to Vic members. Your response is entirely predictable.

The fixture has just dropped and it is the worst possible result for a large section of Lions members. It is being spoken about on talk back and other forums all day, its a major issue. I think it would be entirely expected and reasonable that we be allowed to discuss and vent on the topic for 24 hours or so about the issue, on a forum designed for that.

I have also seen several Vic members take a pretty calm approach to it.

It has nothing to do with being miserable and... to "keep on and on about it"?.. its only been a day LOL.

Also - our 'complaining' forced our CEO to send a damage control email. I also bet you, our 'complaining' will finally mean the club and the AFL listen to us and take it seriously next year.

Last edited:
You have a terrible history of being unsympathetic to Vic members. Your response is entirely predictable.

The fixture has just dropped and it is the worst possible result for a large section of Lions members. It is being spoken about on talk back and other forums all day, its a major issue. I think it would be entirely expected and reasonable that we be allowed to discuss and vent on the topic for 24 hours or so about the issue, on a forum designed for that.

I have also seen several Vic members take a pretty calm approach to it. m

It has nothing to do with being miserable and... to "keep on and on about it"?.. its only been a day LOL.

Also - our 'complaining' forced our CEO to send a damage control email. I also bet you, our 'complaining' with finally mean the club and the AFL listen to us and take it seriously next year.

Sorry for not wanting to get involved with your pity party because you only get 4 games in your home city.

I was listening to SEN today and several Fitzroy Lions supporters were calling in saying they are abandoning the club and their membership.

Not sure how punishing the club really does anything.

There seems to be a fairly guerrilla sect of Fitzroy fans who are just determined to be the victim of the footballing legacy.

I am a proud and passionate Fitzroy person from a 4 generation Fitzroy family. HOWEVER, I am now a Brisbane Lions fan and I dont need to have the merger constantly displayed as a Cross to bare.

I would like 5 games in Melbourne and one in Geelong or Ballarat going forward. They stuffed it up this year, they will rectify it next year and we move on.

Last edited:
Sorry for not wanting to get involved with your pity party because you only get 4 games in your home city.
Counter to that, you do appear to want to get involved given you're replying...

You don't have to get involved in the pity party? but there's no need to go on the front foot with some condescending, combative rant when Vic supporters are raising an issue that is actually pretty s**t for them.

You don't have to get involved in the pity party? but there's no need to go on the front foot with some condescending, combative rant when Vic supporters are raising an issue that is actually pretty s**t for them.

Ignoring the bigger picture is moronic though. It's by far the best fixture the club has had in a long time and to think the message from the club should be around not getting an extra game in Melbourne is not constructive.

I didn’t realise Brisbane merged with a Perth based club which should result in more than one or two games a year being played there. On the other hand it did merge with a Melbourne based club.

I didn’t realise Brisbane merged with a Perth based club which should result in more than one or two games a year being played there. On the other hand it did merge with a Melbourne based club.

And this is more than just a convenient fact for you......

I'm not saying we shouldn't play more games in Melbourne because that supporter base is valuable to the club but it doesn't change that it's a great fixture for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those Fitzroy fans calling in saying they won't renew their memberships because they get 1 less game in Victoria.

What a laughable bunch of self centred jerks that can't see past their "mElBoUrNe mErGeR agreement" that was signed when 2 of the current clubs didn't exist. We have more primetime audience than ever before.

Good riddance really, if a fixture that is done by the AFL is enough to punish the club, the club doesn't need those supporters anyway.

Still love how much the club gets attacked over the AFL fixturing. The club should definitely bad mouth the AFL, and sacrafice sound business decisions to appease some Melb based fans. It sucks that things can't be equal, but when you support a team that isn't based in your state you are always going to be 2nd priority.
I think that, while the club doesn't have control over the fixturing, they definitely have options, and clearly don't exercise them.

The club gets to put forward a list of priorities to the AFL for fixturing each year. If the club put, at the top of their list "6 games at Marvel or MCG", they'd almost certainly get that. The club have been pretty open about the fact that the top of their list recently has been Easter Thursday against Collingwood and blockbuster games at the Gabba against big Melbourne clubs. When you request the big Melbourne clubs visit us, it does leave less options for Melbourne.

I'm not saying that the club is wrong to do that - commercial benefits have to be weighed. But it's clear that the club aren't prioritising Melbourne supporters. And I say that as a Brisbane-based supporter who has openly argued against some of our original Fitzroy supporters on things like logos (I am and was pro-paddlepop).

Change of pace, but who else is excited for round 17 against the cats at the gabba? The round 22 clash this year had an absolutely electric atmosphere, and here we are with another late season match up against a team who we'll hopefully be up against at the pointy end of the ladder... Surely not too much to hope that history repeats

No, not all vic members, but yeah, I am unsympathetic to whinging people who can only think of themselves, who live in the past, can't move on and who won't consider the big picture of a situation.....whether it be football or life in general..

Those Fitzroy fans calling in saying they won't renew their memberships because they get 1 less game in Victoria.

What a laughable bunch of self centred jerks that can't see past their "mElBoUrNe mErGeR agreement" that was signed when 2 of the current clubs didn't exist. We have more primetime audience than ever before.

Good riddance really, if a fixture that is done by the AFL is enough to punish the club, the club doesn't need those supporters anyway.
You realise that GWS have 8 games in Victoria and Sydney 6 games in Melbourne without a merger agreement right? 6 games in Melbourne is very achievable.

As for us self-centred jerks, if you and the rest of you up in Brisbane are sick and tired of the Fitzroy side of the family, then call up Swanny and get him to petition the AFL for a de-merger so you can go back to being the Bears.

Swann has already killed off Fitzroy once, perhaps he can do it a second time.

Ignoring the bigger picture is moronic though. It's by far the best fixture the club has had in a long time and to think the message from the club should be around not getting an extra game in Melbourne is not constructive.

Narr that's not really how it works. You don't smile and compliment the s**t sandwich because the rest of the menu was ok.

Why do you care so much? just let those who are angered by this have their say on a forum. If they are still going in a week then start complaining.

I think that, while the club doesn't have control over the fixturing, they definitely have options, and clearly don't exercise them.

The club gets to put forward a list of priorities to the AFL for fixturing each year. If the club put, at the top of their list "6 games at Marvel or MCG", they'd almost certainly get that. The club have been pretty open about the fact that the top of their list recently has been Easter Thursday against Collingwood and blockbuster games at the Gabba against big Melbourne clubs. When you request the big Melbourne clubs visit us, it does leave less options for Melbourne.
Nah.

The club has come out and harped on Melbourne games in previous years.

We haven't got it.

There were years and years before 2017 where we'd only get five + Geelong, the club would explain they asked for it, and the AFL didn't give it to them.

Using your logic if it was as simple as priorities, we would've gotten prime time games and big Victorian clubs at the Gabba before this year. We definitely haven't.

The AFL picks a fixture that maximises TV ratings. We're now the latest hotness so we rank higher so we happen to have gotten what we asked for because it aligned with the AFL's aims. In previous years it hadn't, so we didn't. In no years do "six games in Melbourne" matter to the AFL, so that's basically a random draw as to whether and what we get.

More games in Melbourne gives us more practice for finals time too:

'99 - 6
'00 - 6+Geel
'01 - 5+Geel
'02 - 5+Geel
'03 - 6+Geel

Really it’s a small minority of Melbourne based Lions supporters carrying on.If you don’t support what the club is doing barrack for the other Melbourne based teams.You can watch all the games you like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back