Analysis 2020 Fixture - Who will we play

My only real gripe with our fixture is our 13 games in Melbourne isn't a 10/3 or 9/4 MCG/ Marvel split.
8/5 isn't too bad and with our 4 home games in Tassie with who we are playing in all those games gives us a good chance at $$ some big crowds and really good base to push for top four if we improve on this year which we should.

Much better fixture for the club and fans than last year and points to the AFL thinking we will be there abouts come September

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
8/5 isn't too bad and with our 4 home games in Tassie with who we are playing in all those games gives us a good chance at $$ some big crowds and really good base to push for top four if we improve on this year which we should.

Much better fixture for the club and fans than last year and points to the AFL thinking we will be there abouts come September

Yeah overall I'm pretty happy with it, just wish the Carlton game was at the G. Can't really complain with 4 marvel tenants hosting us at Docklands.

Yeah overall I'm pretty happy with it, just wish the Carlton game was at the G. Can't really complain with 4 marvel tenants hosting us at Docklands.
I think blues at Marvel is probably the best home fixture we could have gotten there so not bothered by it in that context

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I think blues at Marvel is probably the best home fixture we could have gotten there so not bothered by it in that context

From a financial standpoint yes, from a fixture equality standpoint no. I still don't get the whole everyone has to host a game at Marvel concept though.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
The fixture means absolute zero in my opinion.
If you buy into the notion the competition is more even now than at any point in post-1990 AFL history, minuscule advantages take on increased significance.

Almost every year one team rises from the bottom 6 to the top 4 on the back of a cushy fixture, like Brisbane in 2019 and Collingwood the year before. That alone suggests that yes, the fixture actually does matter. It may not matter as much as some think and the AFL may not be as successful fixing it in certain teams' favor as it likes, but of course it still has an effect.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a really good fixture when you compare it to this years horrendous one.

Strategically there's a nice, even spread of challenge. 6-day breaks are fairly spread out but also occur earlier in the season when we should be fresher and able to recover better. There's no bad "hellish" period where we need to travel lots or play last years top 4 in one month. But there is enough challenge to make sure we don't hit a potential finals campaign under prepared. If we're good enough we can easily secure a top 4 spot with this fixture.

The business people at the club should be very happy. Plenty of prime time slots (though only 3 as the home side). Plenty of family friendly games to boost memberships. With a few exceptions we are playing the clubs we'd want to play at stadiums that will give us the best financial return.

And for the supporters this is a great fixture. All our MCG games (home and away) should be appealing. Even the Marvel ones are pretty decent, mostly in good time slots. Only one Sunday twilight (4:40pm) game next year and it's an away game so whatever. But it's important that where we all can...

TURN UP TO THE BLOODY GAMES!!
We've got a chance as a supporter base here to show AFL HQ that the low attendances in 2019 were definitely due to the shitty time slots. If we don't turn up in numbers in 2020 with this fixture then kiss good-bye those Thursday and Friday night, and Saturday games. We'll be Sunday 4:40pm most weeks after that otherwise!

Anyway here are some stats on our 2020 fixture...
  • We have 7x 6-day breaks.
    • Six of those occur before our BYE in round 14.
    • Only a single occurrence of B2B 6-day breaks for us (round 5,6) - subject to floating round 23 fixture.
    • Our top 3 toughest 6-day break games are likely to be:
      1. Round 3 v Collingwood. We'll be on return from Perth and they'll be off an 8-day break. (no travel)
      2. Round 13 v Geelong. We'll be on return from Gold Coast and they'll be off the bye. (13 days)
      3. Round 6 v West Coast. They're off an 8-day break and no travel the week prior.
    • Our top 3 most favourable6-day break games are likely to be:
      1. Round 12 v Melbourne. They meet us off their own 5-day break.
      2. Round 9 v Sydney. They have a 7-day break but are on the road again after a trip to Perth.
      3. Round 19 v Port. Their home game but off an extra 6-day breaks. We have good breaks in the month leading up to it.
  • Our doube-up games...
    • Round 1 (MCG) & 15 (Gabba) v Brisbane
    • Round 4 (MCG) & 13 (MCG) v Geelong
    • Round 8 (Marvel) & 17 (UTAS) v North Melbourne
    • Round 9 (MCG) & 23 (SCG) v Sydney
    • Round 10 (UTAS) & 18 (AO) v Port Adelaide
  • We travel interstate for away games just 5 times...
    • Round 2 v Fremantle @ Optus Oval
    • Round 12 v Gold Coast @ Metricon Stadium
    • Round 15 v Brisbane @ The Gabba
    • Round 19 v Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
    • Round 23 v Sydney @ SCG
  • We've got far more prime-time TV time slots in 2020...
    • Round 4 v Geelong - Easter Monday 3:20pm @ MCG (away)
    • Round 7 v Bulldogs - Saturday night 7:25pm @ Marvel (away)
    • Round 9 v Sydney - Saturday night 7:25pm @ MCG (home)
    • Round 11 v Melbourne - Friday night 7:50pm @ MCG (home)
    • Round 13 v Geelong - Friday night 7:50pm @ MCG (home)
    • Round 15 v Brisbane - Thursday night 7:20pm @ The Gabba
    • Round 16 v Essendon - Thursday night 7:20pm @ Marvel (away)
    • Round 19 v Port Adelaide - Friday night 6:50pm @ Adelaide Oval
    • Round 20 v St Kilda - Saturday night 7:25pm @ Marvel (away)
  • And a bunch of family friendly timeslots... (ie. not Sunday twilight or night games)
    • Round 1 v Brisbane - Sunday arvo 3:20pm @ MCG
    • Round 3 v Collingwood - Saturday arvo 1:45pm @ MCG (home)
    • Round 4 v Geelong - Easter Monday 3:20pm @ MCG (away)
    • Round 5 v Carlton - Sunday arvo 3:20pm @ Marvel (home)
    • Round 6 v West Coast - Saturday arvo 1:10pm @ UTAS
    • Round 10 v Port Adelaide - Saturday arvo 1:45pm @ UTAS
    • Round 17 v North Melbourne - Saturday arvo 2:10pm @ UTAS
    • Round 18 v GWS - Saturday arvo 1:45pm @ MCG
    • Round 21 v Adelaide - Saturday evening 4:35pm @ UTAS
    • Round 22 v Richmond - Saturday arvo 3:20pm @ MCG (away)

Would be also good to include a summary of who our opponent played the week prior and whether that was against a top 8 side, interstate, days break differential etc. This has a much larger bearing on the difficulty of a teams fixture than anything else.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Max is sticking his neck out a bit

images (1).jpeg

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
No matter who we play and where, every game is difficult, this group needs to prove itself now that the remnants of 2008 heroes is truly over and gone! There’s no easy or hard, just purely concentrate on every team week by week and forget about the past. I find it exciting as long as Clarko can get the boys up for the challenges ahead of us .

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good fixture, we play at Marvel a bit which is only an issue because of the stadium. Its a hole, cold as f**k in winter (i always think colder than the G) and has no atmosphere.

Really should be something the AFL looks at in years to come if you're going to only have 2 premier stadiums in Melbourne, one shouldn't be so ridiculously more desirable than the other.
I disagree, I love the MCG, but Marvel is a pretty well decked out stadium and the atmosphere is better than the MCG for a crowd of around 40k

MCG is colder in winter too. The roof takes is off the wind chill that gets brutal at the G.

Just to make it clear, the Lions will kick off the mayflower dust and roar like the lions of old!
The lions of old folded like wet newspaper and had to be revived by melding them with one of the worst clubs in the league and then given so many concessions they won three gifted premierships. Yep the lions of old... so many memories.

If you buy into the notion the competition is more even now than at any point in post-1990 AFL history, minuscule advantages take on increased significance.

Almost every year one team rises from the bottom 6 to the top 4 on the back of a cushy fixture, like Brisbane in 2019 and Collingwood the year before. That alone suggests that yes, the fixture actually does matter. It may not matter as much as some think and the AFL may not be as successful fixing it in certain teams' favor as it likes, but of course it still has an effect.

Fair points. I suppose the mentality that we take on whoever, whenever because we are hawthorn is the best approach.

It’s never been easy at hawthorn. That’s the point I’m trying to make. We can take them all!!

KOLOKOTRONIS

Back