Preview 2020 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

We arent staying up in QLD for round 6. Voss said this morning we will fly back to Adelaide after the Brisbane game and then fly back up there for the GWS game. Makes a mockery of not getting Marshall to give GWS a one day travel fly in fly out exemption so that game could be at Adelaide Oval.
Sure but unlike Qld, WA and SA haven't budged. Plus Rd 5 ends 5th July and at this stage 20th July is still the set date to let people from NSW, ACT and Victoria to enter without quarantining. Look I agree with you that they should, but Rd 7 games the SA teams are in Victoria on 18th and 19th which is on the eve of 20th July restriction removals.

Sure but unlike Qld, WA and SA haven't budged. Plus Rd 5 ends 5th July and at this stage 20th July is still the set date to let people from NSW, ACT and Victoria to enter without quarantining. Look I agree with you that they should, but Rd 7 games the SA teams are in Victoria on 18th and 19th which is on the eve of 20th July restriction removals.

Do you really think that Marshall isn't going to cave to public pressure and extend the border closure to Victoria? Dude is softer than a marshmallow. Im personally not concerned about the uptick in cases over there, but public perception and the political game of conservativeness could easily see Marshall and sidekick Nicola play it with a straight bat.

What would we do in a scenario whereby playing in Victoria would lead to a 2 week quarantine upon returning to SA? Would almost need to set up a hub in SA, or my doomsday scenario would be for the AFL to suggest Port bases themselves in Victoria for the foreseeable future until SA eases its borders.

Do you really think that Marshall isn't going to cave to public pressure and extend the border closure to Victoria? Dude is softer than a marshmallow. Im personally not concerned about the uptick in cases over there, but public perception and the political game of conservativeness could easily see Marshall and sidekick Nicola play it with a straight bat.

What would we do in a scenario whereby playing in Victoria would lead to a 2 week quarantine upon returning to SA? Would almost need to set up a hub in SA, or my doomsday scenario would be for the AFL to suggest Port bases themselves in Victoria for the foreseeable future until SA eases its borders.

Surely you avoid the chance by scheduling Sydney v Port and GWS v Adelaide Round 7. If they have hard border restrictions on Victoria, we all avoid it, if they don't then no harm no foul. Also means both SA teams have knocked off playing every WA, QLD and NSW team so all you have to deal with over the last section of the season is the Vic teams.

7 games in and we end up with 1 game at the AO, the showdown!.

10 Games left, even if we end up with just half of them at the AO (which we probably won't) it'd mean we would be playing just 6 home games and 11 away games. Let that sink in.

#VICBIAS #notanationalcomp

Did they have a choice?
Probably not but from an AFL point of view they have a government statement that says Vic and NSW teams can travel into SA from the 20th July and the 2 SA teams play in Victoria on 18th an 19th, so with all the issues, it makes sense to get them to play in Victoria that weekend and then if the government change their position they can negotiate or change things around.

You mean public hysteria. There are a handful of suburbs in Melbourne that have spikes, not the whole bloody state or the majority of greater Melbourne. Our leaders have to show some brains and explain reality to the public.

Morrison said back in late April when the national cabinet set a month to suppress things, that if things went well, society would open up, but there would always be clusters and spikes until a vaccine has been found, and we had to deal with these outbreaks. That's what Victoria is doing, testing 50% of some of those suburbs over 2 or 3 days at a time.

Look at other jurisdictions ie state/provinces/counties with 6-7 million people in them around the world, and they have issues when they are getting 100 to 2,000 cases per day and 10 - 50 people a day are dying in those jurisdictions. Explain that, rather than piss your pants, is my advise to our political and health leaders.

Can't agree at all that it's Marshall's fault... There's nothing in SA stopping both of our next 2 hub games being relocated back to Adelaide. Then send us to Qld to play GWS and St Kilda before coming back to SA to play Collingwood and Geelong. Doesn't take that big a brain. Instead rush out a schedule that screws both SA teams.

You mean public hysteria. There are a handful of suburbs in Melbourne that have spikes, not the whole bloody state or the majority of greater Melbourne. Our leaders have to show some brains and explain reality to the public.

Morrison said back in late April when the national cabinet set a month to suppress things, that if things went well, society would open up, but there would always be clusters and spikes until a vaccine has been found, and we had to deal with these outbreaks. That's what Victoria is doing, testing 50% of some of those suburbs over 2 or 3 days at a time.

Look at other jurisdictions ie state/provinces/counties with 6-7 million people in them around the world, and they have issues when they are getting 100 to 2,000 cases per day and 10 - 50 people a day are dying in those jurisdictions. Explain that, rather than piss your pants, is my advise to our political and health leaders.

Oh I completely agree. You'd think.they would remain steadfast and pragmatic. I just hope they don't falter to the hysteria of the minority.

We really need KT or Koch to come out and say that we are not happy with having to go to Victoria, when we have no cases in our state - either put the pressure on Marshall or on the AFL or whoever is making us go there. It's ridiculous.

They need to come out and see get ****ed, were not going to your infested state. Get on the blower to the Adelaide flogs and ask them to do the same.

The WA clubs wouldn't take it up the clacker like this..

So by round 7 Victoria could well have 100’s of new cases daily. Is that acceptable I prefer to maintain 0 cases daily. I’d be surprised if there is any footy played in Victoria after round 7

So by round 7 Victoria could well have 100’s of new cases daily. Is that acceptable I prefer to maintain 0 cases daily. I’d be surprised if there is any footy played in Victoria after round 7
Could they? What's the probability?

The most number of cases Victoria had in a day was 111 and only twice since the 7 days below have they had 33 cases and one day of 30

Sat 28 Mar685111
Sun 29 Mar76984
Mon 30 Mar82152
Tue 31 Mar91796
Wed 1 Apr96851
Thu 2 Apr1,03668
Fri 3 Apr1,08549

Those figures included the effect of Ruby Princess passengers let off on 19th March and the closure of so many businesses was announced on 22nd to start 11.59pm the next day.

So the effects of less controlled activity between 14th March and 24th are reflected in those figures above. Victoria in the week above did between 2,000 and 4,00day tests a day across the whole state. They are going to do about 5,000 tests per suburb in each of the 3 or 4 main cluster suburbs over 2 or 3 days to try and test 50% of each of the cluster suburbs.

So why would they catch 100's per day by round 7? There is no Ruby Princess. There is no slack conditions like there were pre 28th March. There are still international flights but unlike pre 28th March, those arrivals are strictly quarantined for 14 days. So we might get a s**t load of asymptomatic cases with all that testing but they will then be isolated. Big deal. Plenty of travellers tested are asymptomatic and 14 days in isolation has fixed the issue for over 80% of the cases.

It's not raw numbers that are an issue.

I find it ridiculous that we are playing in Melbourne in front of no one when we could be playing in a much safer environment in South Australia and in front of 25,000 people. Collingwood and Geelong are both going to Perth, spending 14 days in quarantine with the prospect of playing in front of 30,000 people and a similar thing could and should be happening in Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of quotes fresh from this morning's press...

'We're not going to be lifting the border to Victoria if it's going to set us backwards in SA, we've worked too hard to get to the point we where we are at the moment. We're monitoring the situation very carefully... we are very hopeful that Victoria will get on top of it and at this stage July 20 is our date but these dates are subject to change if there are going to be adverse outcomes for the people of our state. '

'(Exemptions) are something the transition committee can look at, but most importantly it's something SA Health needs to look at, we don't want to go backwards in SA, we've done an exceptional job in this state and so we we've just got to be very careful. I 'll leave those decisions to the health professionals.'

That was Steven Marshall on opening the SA/Victoria border and granting of exemptions if the border remains closed. Always the politician Marshall is having a bit both ways and has conveniently hand balled the decision making to the likes of Grant Stevens and Nicola Spurrier. From those comments I would say the current situation in Victoria is seen as an unacceptable risk and that things will have to improve significantly in Victoria over the next three weeks if the border is to be opened on July 20 or failing that FIFO exemptions are granted.

Which ever way it goes I think Marshall's comments indicate there are no guarantees in any of this and we have to hope the Victorians get on top of the current situation if we want to see AFL football in Adelaide.

As the West Australians have shown there are ways around this but it would take agreement between the SA Government and the AFL. Sadly Steven Marshall appears to have dug his heels in and so far there is no meaningful dialogue between him and Gillion McLachlan.

FOOTNOTE It would be interesting to know if there are there any 'infection parameters' attached to the opening of the SA borders. Queensland recorded 6 cases in 14 days when SA lifted the border restrictions. If the same criterion is applied to Victoria they have 24 days to get the numbers down to that level. In the past 14 days Victoria has recorded 213 cases of which 54 are overseas contacts. If we are to use the past as a yard stick there is a fair way to go in a relatively short period of time. I hope they succeed.

Last edited:
We will end up in malbun for a month

Gildo should bite the bullet, pack up the Vic clubs and get them out of plague central. Pause the season for 2 weeks so they can do the quarantines if required.

Carn, everyone else will be made to bend rather than the Vics.

Like Ed said, contracts, contracts, it’s like Victoria and Football are one of the Ten Commandments.

We just need to keep winning.

A couple of quotes fresh from this morning's press...

'We're not going to be lifting the border to Victoria if it's going to set us backwards in SA, we've worked too hard to get to the point we where we are at the moment. We're monitoring the situation very carefully... we are very hopeful that Victoria will get on top of it and at this stage July 20 is our date but these dates are subject to change if there are going to be adverse outcomes for the people of our state. '

'(Exemptions) are something the transition committee can look at, but most importantly it's something SA Health needs to look at, we don't want to go backwards in SA, we've done an exceptional job in this state and so we we've just got to be very careful. I 'll leave those decisions to the health professionals.'

That was Steven Marshall on opening the SA/Victoria border and granting of exemptions if the border remains closed. Always the politician Marshall is having a bit both ways and has conveniently hand balled the decision making to the likes of Grant Stevens and Nicola Spurrier. From those comments I would say the current situation in Victoria is seen as an unacceptable risk and that things will have to improve significantly in Victoria over the next three weeks if the border is to be opened on July 20 or failing that FIFO exemptions are granted.

Which ever way it goes I think Marshall's comments indicate there are no guarantees in any of this and we have to hope the Victorians get on top of the current situation if we want to see AFL football in Adelaide.

As the West Australians have shown there are ways around this but it would take agreement between the SA Government and the AFL. Sadly Steven Marshall appears to have dug his heels in and so far there is no meaningful dialogue between him and Gillion McLachlan.

FOOTNOTE It would be interesting to know if there are there any 'infection parameters' attached to the opening of the SA borders. Queensland recorded 6 cases in 14 days when SA lifted the border restrictions. If the same criterion is applied to Victoria they have 24 days to get the numbers down to that level. In the past 14 days Victoria has recorded 213 cases of which 54 are overseas contacts. If we are to use the past as a yard stick there is a fair way to go in a relatively short period of time. I hope they succeed.

Always the politician..... I missed out on the 10k grant recently as I’m self employed, I asked Lucas in a letter why I’m better off as a business that I don’t need it as opposed to me set up as a company and just employing myself....

He didn’t reply to my question and just said the Libs were doing all this great stuff and then finished with ‘the taxpayers can’t afford to help everyone’.... taxpayers? Nice sidestep.

What a slippery definition..... I need to reply if that’s the case I’m certainly helping my fair share of tax dollars but it’s not worthy for me simply because I’m structured differently...

Marshall won’t make any tough calls, the health department will, it’s a safe out for him, just like saying taxpayers can’t afford it....

Going to Melbourne in R7 I'd ******* stupid, but we should mainly be lobbying the SA government to allow GWS to play here in round 6. It's the perfect chance for the 25000 capacity at AO to actually be flexed.

Im ok with it.

Im all for having a run of home games to end the season in front of bigger crowds.

Bring on R7 at Marvel

Im ok with it.

Im all for having a run of home games to end the season in front of bigger crowds.

Bring on R7 at Marvel

If we get those games. I don't trust them one bit.

If we and the AFL had negotiated it, we could absolutely have played GWS in Adelaide with 27,000. It's been pushed into the can't be ****ed basket by the AFL.

Now it is a 1.15pm Sunday game on the Gold Coast that no one will go to. And it is classified as our home game.

* them.

Last 10 games we have to play Collingwood, Geelong, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton, North, Melbourne, Bulldogs and Sydney. We will get 5 or 6 "home" games.

If they send us to Tassie for Hawks and North games, we should get some decent teams at AO. It would be ridiculous to have a hub in Victoria whilst they are having issues.

Last 10 games we have to play Collingwood, Geelong, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton, North, Melbourne, Bulldogs and Sydney. We will get 5 or 6 "home" games.

If they send us to Tassie for Hawks and North games, we should get some decent teams at AO. It would be ridiculous to have a hub in Victoria whilst they are having issues.
5 or 6 home gams out of 10 when we will have had only one proper home game out of the first 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back