Preview 2020 Fixture

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Let's face it, we are nobodies in the AFL.
We aren't Victorian, we aren't in a state the AFL wants to try and one up Rugby (NSW / QLD). We aren't a financial powerhouse like West Coast. We and Freo get the dregs. Adelaide only get more than us by virtue of they get more fans / money in for the AFL in this state.

If we don't actually s**t the bed this chance to go clear top club in this state, Adelaide will quickly find out what life is like for clubs when you don't even get the 2nd rate cuts and just get an already half chewed bone. Some of those old boys thinking they are 'at the table with the big boys' are going to be shocked that they've been laughed at behind their backs from the start.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
So living with the same restrictions, but at opposite ends of the ladder, the Crows end up with 10 games at home and Port 7.

Classic AFL.

They still had a whinge about their game vs Carlton being at the Metricon goat track - they won't be able to bid Eddie Betts a fond farewell to 'his' pocket. :rolleyes:

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Sorry for the intrusion and I agree that its ****ed that Adelaide get another home game, but you guys were one of the three or so finals bound teams who sooked to the AFL when we tried to have our last round North game moved to Perth, it would be hardly fair if you were to be given another home game. I think its fair both our clubs have played the same amount of Perth/Adelaide games come end of home and away.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You can’t seriously expect collingwood to play you at AO, In a shortened season, we’ve already played giants at home, adel at home, eagles and freo at home, bris at home, Gold Coast to come at home... seriously... the only team we played on neutral ground was syd. if you want to talk about fixtures, have a look at the Queensland tigers 🐯
My heart bleeds for you guys.

You can’t seriously expect collingwood to play you at AO, In a shortened season, we’ve already played giants at home, adel at home, eagles and freo at home, bris at home, Gold Coast to come at home... seriously... the only team we played on neutral ground was syd. if you want to talk about fixtures, have a look at the Queensland tigers 🐯

Must be hard having to leave Melbourne for the first time in 47 years.

Sorry for the intrusion and I agree that its f’ed that Adelaide get another home game, but you guys were one of the three or so finals bound teams who sooked to the AFL when we tried to have our last round North game moved to Perth, it would be hardly fair if you were to be given another home game. I think its fair both our clubs have played the same amount of Perth/Adelaide games come end of home and away.

Yeah except it's your premier playing politics which is screwing you and Freo over whereas it's the AFL screwing us over (whilst happily giving a leg up to Brisbane, GC and Adelaide who are operating under the same parameters as us).

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah except it's your premier playing politics which is screwing you and Freo over whereas it's the AFL screwing us over (whilst happily giving a leg up to Brisbane, GC and Adelaide who are operating under the same parameters as us).
I think what bothers me the most is that the AFL could have absolutely put Brisbane in an Adelaide hub or maybe in Perth for a month or so similar to how Hawthorn have been placed in Adelaide. But nope they get to play the last several weeks in Brisbane.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Sorry for the intrusion and I agree that its f’ed that Adelaide get another home game, but you guys were one of the three or so finals bound teams who sooked to the AFL when we tried to have our last round North game moved to Perth, it would be hardly fair if you were to be given another home game. I think its fair both our clubs have played the same amount of Perth/Adelaide games come end of home and away.
Hahaha, rightly so as well!

Heard some chat that the lopsided home game tally was because several of the Crows' players were going through severe mental health issues owing to their form and club harmony in the hub and the AFLPA stepped in.

Bit of a joke if true, pandering to the least successful on a whim at their own discretion, but I would expect nothing less from the VFL.

Yes, this is what every non-Victorian team has to put up with every year. Jog on snowflake.

I have no gripe with Collingwood. I also have no issue playing you at the Gabba. It was slated as an away game for us so it makes sense.

IIRC Crows had an 'away' game at AO and we had a 'home' game at Metricon.
This is where the discrepancy is.
I also think Crows had/have more midweek games than us.

Given the juggling act the AFL have had to manage on the fly, I'm ok with how things panned out.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Let's be honest, rightly or wrongly if the SA Government (and WA Government) bended over to the AFL initially, we would've been in Brisbane's position meaning we'd get all the games at AO and arguably have been picked to host the GF.

AFL were always going to do the QLD side favours.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Let's be honest, rightly or wrongly if the SA Government (and WA Government) bended over to the AFL initially, we would've been in Brisbane's position meaning we'd get all the games at AO and arguably have been picked to host the GF.

AFL were always going to do the QLD side favours.

I reckon it wouldn't of made a difference 'growing the game in Qld' - it's business, we were never in the hunt.

On the other side we could of easily had a hub here, Marshall missed the most obvious and easiest decision in his career.

My opinion:

Adelaide has 10 home games because they are in trouble financially and need the help. Remember, this is a club that invested heavily in AFC Media, e-sports and a baseball team as a way of diversifying their portfolio when it comes to revenue steams, and they've also lost a number of their members, not to mention those that would have downgraded this year.

As for Port, we were never going to get an extra home game if we want to have home finals. The whole point of this season is cost mitigation for the AFL, and the AFL or their partners don't make any money if Port has an extra home game - Fox/7 would need to send cameras, the AFL need to send umpires, as well as pay for flights/hotels on top of the hotels they are already paying for for teams up in Queensland.

Finals the AFL can deal with especially since they get the money from the crowd and not the SANFL. It's not a big deal.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Heard some chat that the lopsided home game tally was because several of the Crows' players were going through severe mental health issues owing to their form and club harmony in the hub and the AFLPA stepped in.

Bit of a joke if true, pandering to the least successful on a whim at their own discretion, but I would expect nothing less from the VFL.
Seriously. if tHat is so the AFLPA has too much power.

Kane Cornes admits he is “furious” with the AFL for scheduling the Round 18 clash between Collingwood and Port Adelaide at the Gabba, rather than Adelaide Oval.

“Why would Collingwood play Port Adelaide at the Gabba?” he told SEN SA Breakfast.

“You have the Adelaide Oval, 25,000 people, two rivals in Collingwood and Port which is a significant rivalry with the prison bars and everything going on off the field.

“That is a great rivalry. Monday night, it’s going to be a game where Port Adelaide is trying to hold onto top spot and Collingwood is trying to get into finals so it is the marquee game out of that Round 18 fixture and you’ve got it at the Gabba?

“I understand travel and all of that, but you’ve got Hawthorn playing the Suns at Adelaide Oval and you’ve also got the Crows playing Richmond at Adelaide Oval. Am I missing something?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09/09/the-round-18-missed-opportunity-that-has-cornes-furious/

First home game of 2021, we need to play Collingwood at Adelaide Oval and pack the place with supporters wearing Prison Bars. This isn't going to go away Eddie.

Remember the Richmond game this year when Eddie was acting very different towards us on commentary?
Eddie will be glad Collingwood will get to play to sounds of crickets in Brisbane instead of in our hostile environment.

“Have a listen to this crowd, they are going berserk over there, it’s madness. They’ll tear the place down!” - Eddie McGuire

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kane Cornes admits he is “furious” with the AFL for scheduling the Round 18 clash between Collingwood and Port Adelaide at the Gabba, rather than Adelaide Oval.

“Why would Collingwood play Port Adelaide at the Gabba?” he told SEN SA Breakfast.

“You have the Adelaide Oval, 25,000 people, two rivals in Collingwood and Port which is a significant rivalry with the prison bars and everything going on off the field.

“That is a great rivalry. Monday night, it’s going to be a game where Port Adelaide is trying to hold onto top spot and Collingwood is trying to get into finals so it is the marquee game out of that Round 18 fixture and you’ve got it at the Gabba?

“I understand travel and all of that, but you’ve got Hawthorn playing the Suns at Adelaide Oval and you’ve also got the Crows playing Richmond at Adelaide Oval. Am I missing something?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09/09/the-round-18-missed-opportunity-that-has-cornes-furious/
Perhaps Andrew Hunter is on the money and Eddie has way too much Influence at AFL house?
Let’s smash the bastards.

Last edited:
Back