Preview 2020 Fixture

It is most likely we get the Cats (if we beat Coll) and Rich (if we lose).

Then, if Rich lose and Geelong win and we beat coll - we could get West Coast.

Does anyone see Tigers or Cats being upset this week? I reckon crows are a sneaky if i am honest.

Tigers just held the Cats to one goal in three quarters. The Crows have played a series of Mad Monday ready teams. Different weight class for mine. Tigers by 7 goals plus.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Tredrea, Geelong or Richmond (to play in Finals)

Couldn't say Richmond quick enough.

Yet I say that on the AFL board and every dumb * Richmond fan pulls a new one.

Fk I'd love to kick them out.

Arintaraj

Senior List
Mar 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can't believe we're still talking about throwing the Collingwood game to avoid Geelong. :mad:

I don't mind that the media and analysts, the bookies and punters, opposition posters and fans don't rate us. But I mind that our fans don't.

Now we all know what this team can do – I'm don't have to talk us up. We're also aware of our recent track record, our inability to live up to expectation, our propensity to choke in big moments – no need to re-hash that either.

But at some stage we're going to have to break that hoodoo. So why not now? We've set ourselves up well to succeed this year. What else are we waiting for?

Facing Geelong in the finals makes me nervous, but it's time to confront that fear. In qualifying final, with a home crowd.

Travis Boak said at half time interview on Saturday that the team's focus was on building the form it wants to take into finals. We've gone from a shaky win over the Hawks, to boring wins over Sydney and North, to a commanding win over Essendon. We need to build on that with another solid win over a near full-strength Collingwood.

What's this Port Adelaide mentality I keep hearing about? Or does that not apply to fans?

Let's kill off the idea of avoiding a final match-up with Geelong.

Feb 13, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can't believe we're still talking about throwing the Collingwood game to avoid Geelong. :mad:

I don't mind that the media and analysts, the bookies and punters, opposition posters and fans don't rate us. But I mind that our fans don't.

Now we all know what this team can do – I'm don't have to talk us up. We're also aware of our recent track record, our inability to live up to expectation, our propensity to choke in big moments – no need to re-hash that either.

But at some stage we're going to have to break that hoodoo. So why not now? We've set ourselves up well to succeed this year. What else are we waiting for?

Facing Geelong in the finals makes me nervous, but it's time to confront that fear. In qualifying final, with a home crowd.

Travis Boak said at half time interview on Saturday that the team's focus was on building the form it wants to take into finals. We've gone from a shaky win over the Hawks, to boring wins over Sydney and North, to a commanding win over Essendon. We need to build on that with another solid win over a near full-strength Collingwood.

What's this Port Adelaide mentality I keep hearing about? Or does that not apply to fans?

Let's kill off the idea of avoiding a final match-up with Geelong.

******* preach it brother

Bring on Geelong, we need to shake that monkey off our backs.

I'm not nearly as concerned about a qualifying final against Geelong as I am about losing that qualifying final and ending up subject to whatever spell gets cast over Adelaide Oval the moment West Coast set foot in it.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we're to win this thing we'll likely have to beat all of Richmond Geelong and Brisbane. Which order we do it in probably isn't a real issue. Bring it on.

Personally I'd love us to be minor premiers, after everything we've achieved this year.

This. There is no easy passage to a premiership. We will most likely need to knock off those big 3 teams, one after the other. Tough, no matter what route you take.

I think it is important to take winning form into finals. We’ve been building slowly over the last month since the geelong debacle, let’s not go backwards.

Give collingwood a flogging and then worry about the QF after that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rucci went through that last night I think, there is about 5/6 clubs.
Two I'm aware of are Essendon 2000 went 21-1 and WCE 1991 went 19-3 they won first 13 games 495% after Rd 1.

I thought Geelong 2008 when they went 21-1, but they keep swapping with the Hawks first half of year.

Can’t recall who but rolled off a few.
I remembered Collingwood went 18-0 in one of their 4 in a row years, so looked up AFL tables, it was 1929 but they weren't top in Rd 1 and Rd 2.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
St Kilda in Shanghai on May 31st, Round 11 is about all we know so far.

Only prediction I’m willing to make is that there’ll be a lot more Sunday games and less FTA coverage for us.

I started this thread on the first of October last year. I could never have envisaged that it'd still be going strong up until Preliminary Final week of the original schedule.

Is that the year they went unbeaten then lost the semi final before coming back to win the grand final?
Yes.

That was the 2nd last year of the challenge final system. They lost to Richmond in the 1 v 3 SF and Richmond beat Carlton in "the final" which post 1930 season it gets reclassified as the Preliminary Final. Collingwood Challenge and beat Richmond and that is reclassified as the Grand Final.

In 1927 Collingwood 1st beat Geelong 3rd in one SF and Richmond 2nd beat Carlton 4th in the other SF. The Final Collingwood beat Richmond, that gets reclassified as the Grand Final and therefore there is no Preliminary Final in 1927.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes.

That was the 2nd last year of the challenge final system. They lost to Richmond in the 1 v 3 SF and Richmond beat Carlton in "the final" which post 1930 season it gets reclassified as the Preliminary Final. Collingwood Challenge and beat Richmond and that is reclassified as the Grand Final.

In 1927 Collingwood 1st beat Geelong 3rd in one SF and Richmond 2nd beat Carlton 4th in the other SF. The Final Collingwood beat Richmond, that gets reclassified as the Grand Final and therefore there is no Preliminary Final in 1927.
Jack Dyer in his book Captain Blood talked about the Richmond-Carlton-Collingwood rivalry in that era. He said Richmond generally had the wood on Carlton but usually lost to Collingwood who in turn struggled to beat Carlton. I think 3 of Collingwood's 4 in a row were won against Richmond.

Jack Dyer in his book Captain Blood talked about the Richmond-Carlton-Collingwood rivalry in that era. He said Richmond generally had the wood on Carlton but usually lost to Collingwood who in turn struggled to beat Carlton. I think 3 of Collingwood's 4 in a row were won against Richmond.
1927 and 1928 Collingwood beat Richmond no challenges and therefore no prelim final. 1929 Collingwood beat Richmond in the Challenge Final after they lost to Richmond in the SF as described above. 1930 Collingwood 1st and Geelong 4th both won their SF's and Geelong win "the Final" but Collingwood challenge and win, so 1930 the PF and GF both games are Collingwood v Geelong.

Then the ANFC introduce the Page Finals system across Australia for 1931 seasons ie 1v2 and 3v4 Semi Finals, 1 and 2 get the double chance if they lose and play a preliminary final against winner of 3v4 SF.

A young Ken McIntyre, 20 years old I think, worked with Page on the finals system. It was mainly called the Page system but occasionally was referred to as the Page-McIntyre system. He then devised the final 5 system in 1972, the final 6 in 1991 and then McIntyre 8 system in 1994.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
If Port Adelaide defeats Collingwood, the AFL is planning to schedule St Kilda’s home elimination final at Adelaide Oval.
The Saints would play the Western Bulldogs on either Saturday afternoon or Saturday twilight in the first week of finals, even if the club’s preference is to remain in Queensland.

The league has made it clear to the Saints that it does not want Brett Ratten’s men to play an elimination final at Metricon Stadium, when Adelaide Oval is available and has a larger capacity.

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Port Adelaide defeats Collingwood, the AFL is planning to schedule St Kilda’s home elimination final at Adelaide Oval.
The Saints would play the Western Bulldogs on either Saturday afternoon or Saturday twilight in the first week of finals, even if the club’s preference is to remain in Queensland.

The league has made it clear to the Saints that it does not want Brett Ratten’s men to play an elimination final at Metricon Stadium, when Adelaide Oval is available and has a larger capacity.

That is ******* bullshit. They’re saying if Collingwood finish 6th they’ll get to play in Queensland most likely by choice, but St Kilda will have no choice to come here. Collingwood ruling the league once again.

Back