Prediction 2020 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thing that annoys me is not playing everyone once before we start the double ups.
Why/when did that stop being a thing? It used to be a somewhat good indicator of where each team truly sat.

We don't play Brisbane & Dogs until the last 3 rounds of the season :drunk:

We play Richmond twice in 9 games. The 2nd comes before we've played 5 others even once.

Maybe this is Gil's way of conditioning us for the 17-5 model (which I shudder to think but I'm definitely on that bandwagon).

Another thing that annoys me is not playing everyone once before we start the double ups.
Why/when did that stop being a thing? It used to be a somewhat good indicator of where each team truly sat.

We play Richmond twice in 9 games. The 2nd comes before we've played 5 others even once.

Maybe this is Gil's way of conditioning us for the 17-5 model (which I shudder to think but I'm definitely on that bandwagon).

It came in around the time Gold Coast first started, maybe just before. At the time the rationale was that it gave them more flexibility with scheduling.

Tin foil hat view is that by mixing the games up it made it difficult to assess the impact of a weighted draw - by playing each team once before the double up games as was traditional it would be easy to see which teams had a better draw and the influence those games might have on finishing positions

7 of the 9 Round 23 games in 2020 will be the first time the teams have met for the season.

I have an idea to get the fixture more even:

start the season two weeks earlier.

Each team plays the other - alternating home and away each year.

after round 17 the final 8 is set.

The top 8 become the first division - they play each other once so thats 7 games - if you had a home fixture in the first 17 its away this time and vice versa

so a 24 round season with finals proceeding as usual.

the bottom 10 play each other once as well - same formula - the top 4 of the bottom 8 play off for division 2 premiership with wafl finals format.

makes the draw a lot fairer, evens up the travel load considerably, give vic teams more games with hga - also gives the dumb c#%^} more games with hg disadvantage. They will learn this the hard way.

the bottom teams have something to play for - more finals - more games at the end of the season that mean something - more revenue etc etc

Thoughts?

Bottom 10 can’t play each other once in seven weeks
Theres nine games - and a weeks break before the top 8 start playing each other and a week break between their last game and finals starting.

that would be 7+2 - bottom 10 play each other = 9 games.

I know its not Boolean mathematics but i believe my proof retains its integrity against your crude attack

Edit: i explained the two weeks off on mb not here - as you were.

The top 8 become the first division - they play each other once so thats 7 games - if you had a home fixture in the first 17 its away this time and vice versa

the bottom 10 play each other once as well - same formula - the top 4 of the bottom 8 play off for division 2 premiership with wafl finals format.

makes the draw a lot fairer, evens up the travel load considerably, give vic teams more games with hga - also gives the dumb c#%^} more games with hg disadvantage. They will learn this the hard way.

the bottom teams have something to play for - more finals - more games at the end of the season that mean something - more revenue etc etc

Thoughts?
The stumbling block is the div2 premiership. Unless clubs are motivated to obtain it, then the last 9 rounds lose all meaning.

Thoughts?

If there’s prize money or anything associated with winning div 2, why would a team want to finish 8th?

It came in around the time Gold Coast first started, maybe just before. At the time the rationale was that it gave them more flexibility with scheduling.

Tin foil hat view is that by mixing the games up it made it difficult to assess the impact of a weighted draw - by playing each team once before the double up games as was traditional it would be easy to see which teams had a better draw and the influence those games might have on finishing positions

You know what? I think you are 100% right.

While the AFL does not give a damn about competitive integrity maintaining the public illusion that they do is very important to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a dream last night that we played Western Bulldogs in the first match of the season at Optus Oval and by half time the Bulldogs had kicked 19 goals and we hadn't scored. Furthermore, Elliot Yeo got injured in the first 30 seconds of the match and never played again.

Thank goodness we are playing Melbourne in the first home and away game next year.

I was thinking of going for a football weekend to Melbourne.
Although there are a few good games, Richmond and Collingwood, the others in Melbourne are against Carlton and Saint Kilda.
I’m not counting Geelong.
We do have the Bulldogs in the last week but no fixtures available yet. Normally I try to combine a good Eagles away again with another feature game in Melbourne, but I’m really struggling to find one with this fixture.
Any suggestions, or just suck it up and choose Pies or Tigers?

OK, I'll preface this with I'm from Philadelphia (we have an "Eagles" as well, hence my choice of team to root for) and watched a few games of AFL this year.

The draw seems lopsided, is it just me?
One of the big problems with AFL is that there are 18 teams but only 22 rounds of football, so you can't play every team twice. To balance this the league tries to adjust the draw by making the teams that finish top 6 double up against more teams that finished higher on the ladder. The massive flaw with this is that teams improve and fall away each year, so a team that was good in 2019 may not be good in 2020 and vice versa.

Unfortunately this usually leads to one or two teams that get screwed by the fixture. In 2019 Brisbane finished top 4 in part due to double ups against the easy to beat teams. Melbourne dropped away significantly due to over-achieving in 2018 and having a tough fixture in 2019.

OK, I'll preface this with I'm from Philadelphia (we have an "Eagles" as well, hence my choice of team to root for) and watched a few games of AFL this year.

The draw seems lopsided, is it just me?
The better teams finish near the top of the table regardless . Playing the good sides twice gives you a chance to put a gap on those good sides and benefit with home finals . If you cant beat the good sides then you cant win a Grand Final . Playing the good sides gives good experience . Non Victorian sides always have it tougher as our teams travel more . I reckon when we win a premiership we savour it better than Victorian teams for this reason .

I found this post from Final Siren very interesting regarding home ground advantage and the upcoming fixtures:

In fact the general thread from that point is pretty interesting in relation to our perceived or potential over achieving in 2019 with our goal accuracy and why the Squiggle doesn't have a boner for us in 2020 as it expects our accuracy to return to the mean. Whether you agree or not is up to you but it can be fun to digest the data.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back