2020 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a bit confused about the announcement. Will the Swans still play the Dockers in Perth and then fly to Cairns or will that fixture also be moved to Cairns?
Freo plays Sydney then GWS in Perth, then moves to Cairns for the last 4 games (North, Melb, Dogs, Richmond - not in that order necessarily)

I'm guessing the toast will be playing 5 games out of SE Queensland, so they'll head over a week before Freo.

Cairns is a pretty good option, but I don't buy the argument to try and make it fair and equitable to the other clubs, the amount of travel Freo have had to do other years - e.g. Tassie, Canberra, Darwin, Geelong etc which has turned an already bad 4 hour flight to a 6-7 flight + bus ride. We should have had at least 2 more games in Perth in my opinion.
Watch the Fathers Army kick up a stink. Another hub for them. They’re too comfortable at home

Yep this.

If you read the media about it, it seems to me that the QLD government has flipped some cash to the AFL for this.

When McGowan says that he's not interested in a WA Grand Final what he's really saying is that the WA government isn't going to give the AFL cash.

That's why to me it's funny that there's even a conversation about WA getting the Grand Final. QLD would have already 'bought' it by now (or close to).
Explicitly denying the Eagles an easy path to a premiership is good policy.

Has anyone done a ladder predictor or finals calcs?

How many games could we afford to drop?

Closest I've seen is this.

Even if we win all our games we're reliant on other teams dropping games to make finals.

Watch the Fathers Army kick up a stink. Another hub for them. They’re too comfortable at home
Yep, "Simmo" (wow they are so inventive and inspired in their bestowing of nicknames over in slime land) will again be whinging over the fact his self-entitled front runners can't play in front of their self-entitled fans!

Round 14
Fremantle Dockers v GWS
Saturday 29 August
2.35pm
Optus Stadium

Round 15
Fremantle Dockers v Richmond
Wednesday 2 September
7.10pm local time
Metricon Stadium

Round 16
Fremantle Dockers v Melbourne
Monday 7 September
7.10pm local time
Cazaly’s Stadium

Round 17
Fremantle Dockers v North Melbourne
Saturday September 12
1.45pm local time
Metricon Stadium

Round 18
Fremantle Dockers v Western Bulldogs
Location, date and time TBC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we hubbing in Cairns when 2/3 games when we leave Perth are at Metricon? And the final round is not yet known but could also be at Metricon just as likely as it will be in Cairns. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

AFL is stoopid.
It's not just some little jaunt either, it's over two hours to fly from Cairns to Gold Coast. It's only three and a bit hours Perth to Melbourne with a decent tailwind.
They haven't just kicked us in the balls, they've put the steel caps on first

Why are we hubbing in Cairns when 2/3 games when we leave Perth are at Metricon? And the final round is not yet known but could also be at Metricon just as likely as it will be in Cairns. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

AFL is stoopid.

Makes no sense at all - surely if we had agreed to hub there it would have been on the basis that at least three of the four games would be in Cairns.

Only positive is that the two Metricon games are the won’t win (Tigers) and should win (Kangas) - regardless of where the game is played.

Hopefully the two marginal games (Doggies and Demons) are in Cairns and we get a little bit of a ‘home advantage’ by being more acclimatised and not having to travel.

really should have given us a thursday/Friday timeslot for the GWS game (as a fox only game of course, can’t be having 2 non Vic sides on FTA), that 4 day break could have been so easily avoided. if we hub in Cairns just to play one ******* game there...

also lol @ Richmond having back to back games at Metricon against WA sides off a 4 day break.

The WA hard border counterintuitive now. Tough stance means Fremantle and West Coast got shafted/punished by AFL
I guess it’s a small price to pay to keep Jabba the Hutt out.

This will be the first time in 25 years that I’ll be barracking hard for the weags in a game of footy. FU Richmond and FU AFL.

Jesus, that Richmond game is a killer - fly to another state AND a 4 day turnaround.

At least its a game we were almost no chance of winning anyway
The silver lining is we will 2 more days recovery than Melbourne the following week. (This advantage might be nullified due to the fact that the AFL has shunted us up to Cairns while making us play at the Gold Coast, which hasn't happened to the Eagles but is not surprising)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back