2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I agree I would much rather be at Merc than Renault.....then again if Renault are throwing RIC kind of money at him...who knows what motivates certain drivers.
For Valtreri that is basically a choice between the odd win here or there (he's never going to get the chance to win the WDC over Lewis) or a truck load of money. I think I'd take the $$$ in that situation

For Valtreri that is basically a choice between the odd win here or there (he's never going to get the chance to win the WDC over Lewis) or a truck load of money. I think I'd take the $$$ in that situation

I think it's years rather than dollars.
$8m to race for podiums and victories versus $15m to be a mid pack also-ran, most would easily take the former.
A one year contract to race at the front with the possibility of being out on your arse after that versus 2 or 3 years security with the hope of improving competitiveness would be a harder decision.

I think it's years rather than dollars.
$8m to race for podiums and victories versus $15m to be a mid pack also-ran, most would easily take the former.
A one year contract to race at the front with the possibility of being out on your arse after that versus 2 or 3 years security with the hope of improving competitiveness would be a harder decision.
No way he is getting anything long term at Mercedes, he is filling in until they think Russell is ready.

Having said that though with the rumours around Renault trying to sell the team I don't see how you could trust anything they offer. Bottas could find himself without a drive before long or be down the bottom.

Dammit Toto...make it happen!

Interesting interview with Hamilton around the 4 minute mark that I hadn't seen before....he makes a good point. Also I totally forgot about that Seagull interview at 6:30 :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Lawrence Stroll making moves this off season!

Canadian tycoon Lawrence Stroll has paved the way for Aston Martin to invest up to £200million in his Formula 1 team over the next five years, documents show. Earlier this year, Stroll led a consortium of investors who bought a 25 per cent stake in the London-listed luxury car-maker in the hope of turning around its fortunes.

As part of the deal, Aston Martin Lagonda will become title sponsor of Stroll's F1 team Racing Point, which is owned by many of the same investors in his consortium

Lawrence Stroll making moves this off season!

No he only need find someone slow enough for stroll to beat

I feel like Bottas is now 3rd in line for his own seat.

Vettel or Russell look to be the ones who will take it.
Russell would make more sense to give him a couple of seasons being the heir apparent under Lewis before he retires and George becomes the number one.
I think their investment in Ocon was to be as a secondary type of driver to someone like Russell.

Their investment in guys like Russell and Ocon suggest they will. Who knows ?
I've got a funny feeling once Lewis walks away stroll will buy the team and McLaren will become the factory team again within a season or 2.

They already shunted ocon off to Renault won't be hard to do the same to Russell

Being the number 2 at Mercedes > Being at Renault

The only reasons that Valteri would be eyeing off another seat
1. If he has been told his contract won't be renewed
2. If he has been told Mercedes F1 won't be around next year.

The Barrichello conundrum.

For some reason 2005 was the 'last' straw for him (would have thought Austria 01 may have been but hey). But Ferrari were also readying Massa.

Rubens left, treaded water for a few years in a terrible Honda..

...and ended up effectively being number two to Button.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder what will happen to Ocon?

Looks like he's on the way being what Sainz was to Red Bull.
A lot of his fortunes would hinge on his competitiveness against Ricciardo you would have thought, get beaten like Hulkenberg and it's probably cya later to any chance of a big drive.

I've got a funny feeling once Lewis walks away stroll will buy the team and McLaren will become the factory team again within a season or 2.

Yep, already a fair bit of talk on the rumour mill that once Lewis is done that's probably it for the current Merc F1 outfit, Stroll will probably try and bring Toto etc over to Racing Point/Aston Martin

They already shunted ocon off to Renault won't be hard to do the same to Russell
I think you're on the money. As a constructor Mercedes having nothing more to prove.

The only question is whether there is money to be made on the engine side. Increasingly, engine manufacturers are not investing in new engines due to the likelihood that they'll lose money doing so because of the move to electric cars. Daimler announced in September last year that they were stopping development of new internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars. https://electrek.co/2019/09/19/daim...combustion-engines-to-focus-on-electric-cars/

The decision by F1, to use the existing engines from 2021 onwards instead of a new engine is based around this unwillingness from manufacturers to invest in new engines.

I think you're on the money. As a constructor Mercedes having nothing more to prove.

The only question is whether there is money to be made on the engine side. Increasingly, engine manufacturers are not investing in new engines due to the likelihood that they'll lose money doing so because of the move to electric cars. Daimler announced in September last year that they were stopping development of new internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars. https://electrek.co/2019/09/19/daim...combustion-engines-to-focus-on-electric-cars/

The decision by F1, to use the existing engines from 2021 onwards instead of a new engine is based around this unwillingness from manufacturers to invest in new engines.
So we can look forward to electric cars running around by 2025 I assume? That might kill it for me.

So I decided to watch a bit of the F2 virtual Monaco races last night while eating dinner...no damage on again, so drivers learnt they could just wall ride half the corners for faster times. What a joke.

Thought they might have fixed that for the F1 virtual GP...but nope, same thing. No Damage on so drivers just smashed into each other and barged through on corners. How can they honestly think people find bumper cars entertaining?

So I decided to watch a bit of the F2 virtual Monaco races last night while eating dinner...no damage on again, so drivers learnt they could just wall ride half the corners for faster times. What a joke.

Thought they might have fixed that for the F1 virtual GP...but nope, same thing. No Damage on so drivers just smashed into each other and barged through on corners. How can they honestly think people find bumper cars entertaining?
Stop watching the F1 cash grab watch the original veloce vs races.

Stop watching the F1 cash grab watch the original veloce vs races.

Oh yeah, I normally steer clear of the "official" stuff, the F2 races just happened to be on Foxtel while I was eating dinner so thought I might give it a watch.
At the moment the only real live streams I watch when it comes to sim racing, is Jimmy Broadbent.

Oh yeah, I normally steer clear of the "official" stuff, the F2 races just happened to be on Foxtel while I was eating dinner so thought I might give it a watch.
At the moment the only real live streams I watch when it comes to sim racing, is Jimmy Broadbent.
Jimmy is slow at F1, I watch TRL limitless and tiametmarduk if you watch any of the individual streams of this race you can hear all of them chatting away, Leclerc complained he had no front wing and was just a roadblock in that 2nd race when there was 8 cars behind him.

So we can look forward to electric cars running around by 2025 I assume? That might kill it for me.

2025 is probably to soon for something as radical as that, and as pointed out by happy_eagle Formula E has a head start on the electric front.

It would not surprise me if LMP and Formula One merged together with a mixture of sprint races (F1) and long distance races (LMP) featuring a common race car. LMP has suffered in the last few years with the withdrawal of the majority of the top teams, and I think Toyota would be interested in the merged entity as a manufacturer.

That being said I think most of the development from a powerplant perspective would be on the energy recovery and storage systems rather than the internal combustion engine itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back