2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren’t we just treading water waiting for 2021 anyway?
And wasn’t that always the case once the new 2021 rules were announced?

Well I think the general consensus was by the end of 2019 Ferrari and RBR had significantly closed the gap to Merc, which gave the feeling that 2020 would be a closer season than what we've had over the last 5 years. If the DAS system works as intended for Merc (allowing them to improve their tire life) and if the other teams are not going to be able to replicate it until halfway through the season, then yeah, 2020 is going to be treading water which is disappointing after the end of 2019.

Not only does the DAS give a straight line advantage to go with the extended tyre life, it gives them the option to run a more aggressive front end suspension geometry with more toe out giving even more front end grip. This allows more front end mechanical grip and the ability to run less front end wing. Its a huge advantage.

Honestly if we get to Melbourne and the Mercs have half a second on the pack I am boycotting the entire season.

It is essentially breaking parc ferme rules changing the car setup multiple time throughout a lap and no one is even going to bother to make a system that is banned next year after Mercedes have the championship wrapped up.

Heres a worrying thought.

With ongoing speculation that Mercedes may leave F1 after this year as a constructor (not as engine supplier), Racing Point having what appears to be the 2019 Mercedes chassis might be the beginning of the move to make them the "lead" Mercedes F1 team. If the new regs don't change the natural order too much.......

2021 F1 Champion: Lance Stroll :eek:

With ongoing speculation that Mercedes may leave F1 after this year as a constructor (not as engine supplier), Racing Point having what appears to be the 2019 Mercedes chassis might be the beginning of the move to make them the "lead" Mercedes F1 team. If the new regs don't change the natural order too much.......

I feel ill. Very ill!

You shouldn't joke about such horrible things, you never know what might just turn out to be true.......

Would set the record for most wins from 2nd in a season

You shouldn't joke about such horrible things, you never know what might just turn out to be true.......

In the unfortunate scenario that this actually happens, can we all remember that I called it :cool:

In all seriousness though, if Mercedes do leave as a constructor, there will be 3 teams potentially vying for the new role of "lead Mercedes" team.
Racing Point
McLaren
Williams

McLaren are probably the best placed financially (although old man Stroll has deep pockets) to take the mantle, and I hope they do (really love the combo of Sainz/Norris).

Take a long stroll off a short pier.

Not sure what Ferrari expect the FIA to do.
They can’t guarantee that an outbreak of Coronavirus won’t appear in any country they visit. They can’t guarantee that any of the Ferrari personal havent had contact with a carrier.
As a responsible employer, of an organisation that has interactions all over the world, surely they are carrying out their own medical screening.
I think they are trying to buy time to get up to speed by forcing the FIA to cancel the fly away rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

watching Season 2 Drive to Survive on Netflix right now has me amped up for F1 to begin already. Then i remember Mercedes developed a new steering wheel that will see them drive off into the distance and yet again win the championship for Hamilton.

Could not give 1 s**t about admiring their engineers. I watch the sport to be entertained, and unfortunately for fans the championship race is over before its begun.

Also watching S2 of Drive To Survive.
Ep 3 is such a revelation. Didn’t know Daniel had serious talks with Mclaren, only to decide they weren’t moving forward and Renault were.
Suppose everyone F’s it up occasionally.
But for him to then complain about the Renault being “different in every way from the RB” stunned me.
How did he not understand that a backmarker is there for a reason. The car is so different because one car is a winner, the other is a POS.
Sainz must thank Daniel in prayer every night.

Mclaren was a bit of a basket case when he was making the decision to leave Red Bull and they had Alonso so it wasn't like it was from a lack of driver talent.

Also wouldn't be counting my chickens if I was Mclaren, if anything Renault is back in 4th looking at preseason testing although the only teams we can rule out are Haas and Williams at this stage.

Also watching S2 of Drive To Survive.
Ep 3 is such a revelation. Didn’t know Daniel had serious talks with Mclaren, only to decide they weren’t moving forward and Renault were.
Suppose everyone F’s it up occasionally.
But for him to then complain about the Renault being “different in every way from the RB” stunned me.
How did he not understand that a backmarker is there for a reason. The car is so different because one car is a winner, the other is a POS.
Sainz must thank Daniel in prayer every night.
Are you saying we could have had Lando and Ricciardo as team mates........

Sad reacts only :'(

Didn’t know Daniel had serious talks with Mclaren, only to decide they weren’t moving forward and Renault were.
Don't thinks it was unreasonable to not think McLaren was on the rise, but it sounds like he was deluded or misinformed about where Renault was

Noticed an article with Ricciardo saying there was maybe 1-2 tenths left in his lap in practice, can anyone remember a driver openly letting loose info that reveals his team is at its limit like that?

Noticed an article with Ricciardo saying there was maybe 1-2 tenths left in his lap in practice, can anyone remember a driver openly letting loose info that reveals his team is at its limit like that?
I don't see it as a big issue. For that particular set up, he was within a tenth of the best he could get out of it. That info doesn't say anything about engine settings or car development, just what the car was capable of at that particular time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back