2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

Been checking out Marc Priestley's (former McLaren mechanic) youtube channel and he is seems to be a doing a video on each teams new car, discussing the changes they've made, the concepts behind new bits of body work etc etc. Seems to be really informative little series he is doing.

Here is the one he just released on RBR's new car

The Ferrari one is good as well. Really worth checking out.

Testing starts tomorrow, and although pre-season test times don't mean much I'd expect the car to be pretty quick straight out of the box due to the evolutionary nature of this year's rules (ie not much change to last year).

The fastest times of the 2019 Barcelona Test are outlined below:

Week 1:
Day 1, Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:18.161, C3
Day 2, Charles Leclerc, Ferrari 1:18.247, C3
Day 3, Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, 1:18.897, C4
Day 4, Nico Hülkenberg, Renault, 1:17.393, C5

Week 2:
Day 1, Lando Norris, McLaren, 1:17.709, C4
Day 2, Carlos Sainz, McLaren, 1:17.144, C4
Day 3, Charles Leclerc, Ferrari, 1:16.231, C5
Day 4, Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:16.221, C5

The type of tyre used for the times is also listed with C5 being the softest.

There are only three days of testing each week this year compared to 4 days last year.

One of these things is a lot like the other.....

Racing Point would appear to be the Mercedes B team, ala Haas (Ferrari) and AlphaTauri (Red Bull)

first I‘ve heard of a team using the front as well as rear suspension setup of another team. I’m pretty sure Haas and AlphaTauri only use the rear set up.

Awesome news for Williams fans....

I’m not saying they won’t be the back markers again, but this season is off to a much better start than last season’s disaster.

Hopefully an improved Williams allows George Russell to showcase some of his ability. I wonder how far up the grid Racing Point will go with a 2019 Mercedes Car.
Podiums would be a chance ?
I still think the top three will be ahead of the rest, but you never know until the racing starts for real. Their competitiveness will come down to how much in-season development Racing Point can achieve. The top teams normally get about 2 seconds a lap faster over the year, which means they need a similar amount to compete against the top teams. I doubt Racing Point will have the budget to keep up with them.

The other question is whether or not Mercedes will give their customers the full range of qually modes that Hamilton and Bottas have. I doubt it and as a result Racing Point will struggle to qualify in the top half of the top 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Merc have now conquered tyre wear and everyone else will spend all season struggling to catch up, I suppose...see you guys all in 2021? :sweatsmile: :sweatsmile:

So from this post on Reddit, it appears that the FIA have known about this DAS for at least 5 months as they have already banned it in the 2021 regulations (that were released in Oct 2019). So if true, I'm not sure how many teams will throw massive resources at trying to develop their own system if its useless for 2021.

Well there it is, confirmed by F1.com that DAS is not legal in 2021 but legal in 2020.

Well there it is, confirmed by F1.com that DAS is not legal in 2021 but legal in 2020.

On a scale of 0 to a Brawn double diffuser, how much of an impact will Mercedes DAS have on performance ?
Will be hard to judge because they are likely to be the fastest car again anyway.

Going to be a snooze of a season if the Mercs can go miles longer then anyone else unless they are stuck in traffic.

I agree that this would be a massive advantage, to the detriment of the show for all us punters.
But you’ve got to admire the engineering. Very smart stuff.
DAS is a very clever idea and needs to be crash tested before other teams can put it on their cars. Merc have definitely pulled a rabbit out of the bag.

Well then.....if thats the case we might as well just call the 2020 season done and bring on 2021! :tearsofjoy:

Aren’t we just treading water waiting for 2021 anyway?
And wasn’t that always the case once the new 2021 rules were announced?
I don’t blame racing point for lifting as much of the best car out there as possible when it’s a one year competition before having to trash it completely.
Economics while advancing the brand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back