2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

Am watching the 96 Monaco GP on YouTube. When they cut to on board footage it seems so much more terrifying than it does now.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

It's called The Big Footy F1 Championship and the password is Footybig123.

Am watching the 96 Monaco GP on YouTube. When they cut to on board footage it seems so much more terrifying than it does now.

On the other hand, F1 have also uploaded the 1986 Australian GP as well.

I've been watching 5-10 minutes at a time. It's not the first time I've seen the full race (Somebody else uploaded the while thing years ago). What I note of it is how pedestrian it seems to what we're normally used to.

It was a 3 way title showdown. The cars are the most powerful in history. Even those cars were setting the same lap time as supercars do on the current shorter track. Yet it looks like nothing. Little sensory stimulation. The engines were quiet too! If I wasn't mistaken, you could even hear tyre squealing.

On the other hand, F1 have also uploaded the 1986 Australian GP as well.

I've been watching 5-10 minutes at a time. It's not the first time I've seen the full race (Somebody else uploaded the while thing years ago). What I note of it is how pedestrian it seems to what we're normally used to.

It was a 3 way title showdown. The cars are the most powerful in history. Even those cars were setting the same lap time as supercars do on the current shorter track. Yet it looks like nothing. Little sensory stimulation. The engines were quiet too! If I wasn't mistaken, you could even hear tyre squealing.
We've romanticised a lot of it. I watched some of the 1992 season, and it was, ultimately, dull from a neutral perspective to see Mansell race off into the sunset.

We've romanticised a lot of it. I watched some of the 1992 season, and it was, ultimately, dull from a neutral perspective to see Mansell race off into the sunset.

The cars were more interesting back then.

I love the technology of today's cars but theres no drama.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least they were honest races in 92. No mandatory stops or safety car use.

To highlight my point. The end of the Monaco gp that year is considered an all time classic duel that was between Mansell and Senna.

Had mandatory stops been the rule then, that would’ve meant Senna (and the rest) would’ve had to stop. Mansell would’ve won by 30secs.

I wonder how many races have been affected for the worse had mandatory stops not been a rule?

They replayed Bahrain 2018 today, better tyres means Vettel wins a boring race instead of max bottling it and Dan pulling off some great overtakes to win.

What they should change is Q1 tyres is what you start on so the midfield teams that qually top 10 aren't punished for it and maybe scrap the need to use 2 different compounds.

Then you could have your McLaren/Renault types cars going double meds and pushing while the top cars had to extend on softs and either use hards or have worn meds vs fresh.

Didn't you just protest how great a battle there was with one guy on fresh tyres vs another on old tyres In the 92 Monaco GP?

Yet protesting the current regulations creating a similar occurance?

What exactly do you actually want?

They can make them last. It’s not like the accumulated knowledge in engineering is forgotten about. Pirelli are asked to make junk tyres to “improve the show “

Yep, bit of an insight on how Canada 2010 shaped the current era of Pirelli tyre deg explained pretty well here by ChainBear

Didn't you just protest how great a battle there was with one guy on fresh tyres vs another on old tyres In the 92 Monaco GP?

Yet protesting the current regulations creating a similar occurance?

What exactly do you actually want?
It's a complicated issue. Apply current rules to the past and end up ruining classic, entertaining races. Apply historical rules to now and end up ruining some classic, entertaining races. There's no easy answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back