darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
Pretty much. F1 is largely dependent on who you drive for. Nobody would doubt Ricciardo and Verstappen as top rated drivers, but they aren't in the right car.
We could say that about virtually every champion in the sport's history. All of them were lucky enough to end up in the right car at the right time... Yet not all are remembered in the same way for the same fortune.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
even in a shortened season there will be a bigger gap between mercedes and the rest than 2018, where it was the only season were 2nd was under 100 points behind. it's just domination that really is on a completely different level to ferrari
People quickly forget that even a 0.2 second advantage equates to an unbeatable margin by race end. Mercedes are consistantly 0.5 to 0.8 faster than the next car.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We could say that about virtually every champion in the sport's history. All of them were lucky enough to end up in the right car at the right time... Yet not all are remembered in the same way for the same fortune.

Given Bottas is an ok driver and easily in 2nd place in the championship, I'd say any talented driver in Lewis' position would be unbeatable.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The thing is a lot of fans are frustrated with the predictability of F1. They can continue to ignore this, but the fans are integral to the succcess of the sport. We've been crying out for a more interesting races and less predictability.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
some of the stuff the commentators say about hamilton doesnt exactly help him either. to say that getting bottas in cos he's a pushover compared to rosberg is has helped hamilton is pretty ******* pathetic and doesnt make hamilton look as good has they think it does

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton

Yeah, but no one's had this for 7 years,and 7 continuous years. With the possible exception of Giacomo Agostini and Sebastien Loeb, possibly never in the history of high level motorsport ever.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Very interesting race, Hamilton all class, Perez Mr Consistent, Renault off the pace and Red Bull disappointing.

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
The thing is a lot of fans are frustrated with the predictability of F1. They can continue to ignore this, but the fans are integral to the succcess of the sport. We've been crying out for a more interesting races and less predictability.
I don't disagree that the sport needs shaking up. This isn't the fault of the drivers, they are paid to climb into the car and race to the best of their ability. 2022 will hopefully start to change things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't disagree that the sport needs shaking up. This isn't the fault of the drivers, they are paid to climb into the car and race to the best of their ability. 2022 will hopefully start to change things.

I know a lot of people have differing opinions on Hamilton vs Mercedes but let's put the facts out there for the 2020 season.

There are questions about Bottas' ability, but in reality he is only 0.085 on average behind Hamilton and we would agree that Hamilton enjoys preferential treatment like most #1 drivers within their team.

Mercedes have only lost pole position on the most recent WET race which proved to be the most exciting.
Without Hamilton, Bottas would have won 11/14 pole positions.

Mercedes are about .550 seconds per lap than their nearest rival. The pack behind that from 3-7 is usually about 0.3.

Without Hamilton, Bottas would EASILY have won multiple championships assuming he was their number one driver. Anyone of a number of drivers in Hamilton's position as the #1 driver would have won the championship. Mercedes have an unbeatable car.

I really do hope that F1 makes this competition more exciting because we know who's going to win week in week out.

1605446914533.png

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Obviously he has been at the team with the best car for years, but this race showed again why Hamilton has been so dominant, even over his teammates. He was patient and didn’t do anything stupid while his car was struggling, but waited and took full advantage when his chance came. Compare that to Max who had a big chance of winning when he made a stupid mistake that he should be well past making by now, purely from a lack of patience.

Entertaining race won by an outstanding drive. This is what F1 needs to produce more of.

"Driver wins by 30 seconds in wet and changeable conditions after being 30 seconds behind at the start, nursing 40 lap old inters to the finish, while his teammate spun six times and got lapped"

Let's face it, if it was any other driver we'd be tripping over ourselves to lavish praise.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, but no one's had this for 7 years,and 7 continuous years. With the possible exception of Giacomo Agostini and Sebastien Loeb, possibly never in the history of high level motorsport ever.
That’s an indictment on the other teams in the competition though.
They haven’t stepped up and simply allowed Mercedes to dominate.

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
Let's face, the wrangling over who is the best and what criteria should be used to determine who is the best is never going to be resolved. The naysayers will always say nay and the fans will always see *their* guy as the greatest.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
So the fact that others can’t, or are unable, to gather sponsors to compete are a reason to again criticise Mercedes?
And to be clear, I’m a McLaren fan, but I can’t abide this Merc hate when the other teams haven’t stepped up.
And of course in the same era of Merc dominance Ferrari, the most recognised name in F1 and therefore in a position to gather a big war chest, couldn’t compete is another indictment on the opposition, not on Mercedes.
Its bloody boring watching Mercedes win title and WC championships for getting on a decade, but it’s up to others to take the fight to them.
Just like it’s up to 17 AFL teams to take it up to Richmond next year.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the fact that others can’t, or are unable, to gather sponsors to compete are a reason to again criticise Mercedes?
And to be clear, I’m a McLaren fan, but I can’t abide this Merc hate when the other teams haven’t stepped up.
And of course in the same era of Merc dominance Ferrari, the most recognised name in F1 and therefore in a position to gather a big war chest, couldn’t compete is another indictment on the opposition, not on Mercedes.
Its bloody boring watching Mercedes win title and WC championships for getting on a decade, but it’s up to others to take the fight to them.
Just like it’s up to 17 AFL teams to take it up to Richmond next year.
I don't think people are blaming Mercedes. I'm certainly not. It's up to F1 to keep the sport interesting or face losing fans. Adapt or die

I would love Mercedes to go out and get the best driver and say to their two drivers "Just race" How interesting would that be. I mean they'd likely win the championship anyway.

Last edited:

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Its not just money, the FIA/FOM have hamstrung the other teams and prevented them from being able to catch up as easily as they would have in previous generations by putting rules in place like development tokens, limited in season testing etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back