2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

PLEASE make the performance differences between tires types bigger. >1s per lap between each set as a minimum.

You want every track to be an "or" track for pitstops. 1 OR 2 stops, 2 OR 3 stops. Each better than the other.

Consider an average Track = 60 laps. Pitstop = 30s

Soft (3 stop) 90s in pits
Medium (2 stop) 60s in pits
Hard (1 stop) 30s in pits

0.5seconds between types makes sense, but that's ignoring the benefit of track position.

Whilst overtaking is so difficult, stretching the tire for less stops works best. We need to change that so they go out and RACE.
Smaller fuel tanks. More pit stops.
And adds strategy choices. Start full or empty?
Refuelling needs to return.

Daniel Ricciardo -

After flopping all year last season, this season there were no costly driving errors from him. He may've been crap last year, and suffered all the unreliability in 18, but it's forgotten about now.

14 points finishes in 17 races, including the last 11 in a row. The most points finishes from a Renault driver since their return.
Renault's best points haul in this current spell with 181pts, with 122 in 18. Ricciardo almost beat that himself with 119.
All this despite 3-4 less races than previous years.
A season comparable to his 3rds in 14 and 16.

All done without the added pressure and tension of the WC at stake. But another season where you could say he was the best driver of the season.
Had he stayed at RB, he may've have superficially done better (A couple of wins, more podiums and points), but it's likely he wouldn't have done any better than what he has. BUt he would've been diminished because Verstappen is RB no1 guy and Ricciardo's reputation would've suffered despite the bottom line probably being better.

With that sort of intuition, he's prolonged (and even saved) his F1 career long before things got out of control. Aside from doing the donkey work for Alonso, he's worked the long term game beautifully.
In my mind i like to think Dan would've seen fully well what happens at RBR when you're not " the chosen one " like Webber found out the hard way in 2010, saw the writing on the wall and got the * out early.

Daniel Ricciardo -

After flopping all year last season, this season there were no costly driving errors from him. He may've been crap last year, and suffered all the unreliability in 18, but it's forgotten about now.

14 points finishes in 17 races, including the last 11 in a row. The most points finishes from a Renault driver since their return.
Renault's best points haul in this current spell with 181pts, with 122 in 18. Ricciardo almost beat that himself with 119.
All this despite 3-4 less races than previous years.
A season comparable to his 3rds in 14 and 16.

All done without the added pressure and tension of the WC at stake. But another season where you could say he was the best driver of the season.
Had he stayed at RB, he may've have superficially done better (A couple of wins, more podiums and points), but it's likely he wouldn't have done any better than what he has. BUt he would've been diminished because Verstappen is RB no1 guy and Ricciardo's reputation would've suffered despite the bottom line probably being better.

With that sort of intuition, he's prolonged (and even saved) his F1 career long before things got out of control. Aside from doing the donkey work for Alonso, he's worked the long term game beautifully.
Saw a stat on Ricciardo's season (via reddit)

Daniel Ricciardo finished 5th with 119 points in the 2020 season. He is the first driver without a top 4 car to do so in the 21st Century.

A solid season thats for sure

Solid?

Jesus!

Tough crowd.

I went to have a look to see who was the last to finish top 5 in a car outside the top 4 in the wcc, and I found Rubens Barrichello in 94.

Rubens finished 6th that year. Ralf Schumacher in 99 also finished 6th in a car that finished outside the top 4 with his teammate scoring nothing. Also Arnoux in 84 6th driving a Renault car that was outside the top 4 CC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha! Arnoux was driving the 2nd placed Ferrari!

Everybody knows that.

I tell you what? This is not an easy find. I thought after a few goes I'd get it, but no. I looked up 99 then 97, nothing. They I went straight to the crazy 1982 season, and no.

Yep, you're right, Ferrari.

The stat is a difficult one to find because sometimes a driver did so well in a car, they stuck it in the top 4 CC pretty much on their own, like HHF in 99.

I thought maybe dominant years like 1992 where Alesi did most of the work in that oil burning Ferrari but he finished 7th, but did score the points to get them top 4 CC still!

Solid?

Jesus!

Tough crowd.

I went to have a look to see who was the last to finish top 5 in a car outside the top 4 in the wcc, and I found Rubens Barrichello in 94.

I think that statistic is a bit irrelevant if you think about it. If you've finished top 5 in the drivers championship then you also contributed a lot of points to your team. Which 95% of the time is enough to make your team finish top 4 in the constructors.

I think it more speaks to the evenness of the midfield battle this year that a driver can finish 5th and his team still not finish top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back