Position 2020 Forwards

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Yeah so this crop of forwards is doing my head in.

I’ve always run with a certain strategy which has seemed to work ok in seasons gone past.

I always start with 3 premo fwds, 4-5 premo mids and 3 premo backs. Rucks are a no brainer imo.

Right now I’m starting with Whit, Heeney and chopsticks.

Change my mind.
Injury
Injury
Neck tatts

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Got tagged successfully in the later part of the season .....will tagging become more prevalent in 2020 ?

Neale worries me, if tagged

With Bulldogs, would Bont be the first player tagged ?
Not sure. I actually like a Hint pick purely based on him being captain.
Shuey. Same.
Might be a +5point average.
Both have a lot of competition for the ball though

cybajedi

Senior List
Dec 9, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Plenty of value in the forwards this season (sub 400k) and a 90ish average might be enough to make the top 10 forwards. Like the look of a few of the value picks and will probably start with a few of them and one of the big 3 (Whitfield, Heeney and Martin) With Buddy up and about, Blakey and McCartin looking like decent forwards and the addition of Sam Gray to the Sydney forward line this might be the year we finally see Heeney play predominately midfield. With last seasons injuries behind him and if he gets through preseason unscathed I'll probably start Heeney and 3 sub 400k players like Buddy, Brayshaw, Acres, Smith, Steven.

Battlepants

All Australian
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Is anyone considering Josh Bruce? I feel like his performance might increase significantly now that he's in a team capable of performing a decent inside-50 entry (ie not St Kilda)

Is anyone considering Josh Bruce? I feel like his performance might increase significantly now that he's in a team capable of performing a decent inside-50 entry (ie not St Kilda)
Good tank no forward iq

Ok gaiz, don't laugh but..

1577659003322.png

In the mids, no chance in hell.

But up forward, i don't hate the idea of giving this spud a crack. He plays mid, they'll try to pump games into him, and it's his 3rd year.

He has to come good eventually 🤷‍♂️

EDIT : Actually nevermind, i just snapped out of whatever stroke i was having. Pointless pick. Might delete my account for even bringing it up.

Ok gaiz, don't laugh but..

View attachment 799559

In the mids, no chance in hell.

But up forward, i don't hate the idea of giving this spud a crack. He plays mid, they'll try to pump games into him, and it's his 3rd year.

He has to come good eventually 🤷‍♂️

EDIT : Actually nevermind, i just snapped out of whatever stroke i was having. Pointless pick. Might delete my account for even bringing it up.
I'd rather Polson & Robbie Young personally...

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What does everyone see bailey smith averaging? He put up some good numbers in the back end of last year. Didn’t have a pre season last year and looks ripped atm.

Dusty is actually extremely underpriced :drunk:

Just had a quick look at that tweet. Uses a 3-year average to conclude Dusty is underpriced and Dunkley is overpriced. Three seasons ago Dusty won the Brownlow and Dunkley wasn't playing midfield.

Edit: just read some of the comments and they say basically the same thing. So, my post is perhaps superfluous.

cybajedi

Senior List
Dec 9, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just had a quick look at that tweet. Uses a 3-year average to conclude Dusty is underpriced and Dunkley is overpriced. Three seasons ago Dusty won the Brownlow and Dunkley wasn't playing midfield.

Edit: just read some of the comments and they say basically the same thing. So, my post is perhaps superfluous.

Jiska is aiming for top 25k so that tweet makes sense.

Hard to use the Dunkley figure to judge him, but you can for Dusty which in context of the discussion was who I directly referred to. He's played the same position for three years. Winning the Brownlow is largely irrelevant.

Hard to use the Dunkley figure to judge him, but you can for Dusty which in context of the discussion was who I directly referred to. He's played the same position for three years. Winning the Brownlow is largely irrelevant.

I would have thought that it's non-controversial to suggest that a Brownlow winning year is a well above average year.

I've seen Jack Steven in a few teams. 3300 points maximum allocated per game. In the overwhelming majority of games the winning side doesn't take more than 2000 points worth of that.

Danger
Duncan
Stewart
GAJ
Dollhouse
Jelwood
Menegola
Steven

That's a lot of quality to share points. Last year Jelwood and Menegola dropped their averages significantly. I understand Tim Kelly has gone but Steven won't take all his points given his exceptional quality. I'd suggest that will see Jelwood or Menegola pick up a bit more slack.

Battlepants

All Australian
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Kelly, as you say, is gone. Ablett is turning 36 this season. In his prime he was averaging 130-140 points per season. Last year he averaged 95. Expect that to drop further this year, and for him to be managed as well. Selwood's not getting any younger either and only averaged 85 points which I would expect to continue to decline as well. Menegola is not even best 22 at this stage. I have yet to see a single list for 2020 that includes him in it.

Should be plenty of points left for Steven.

I've seen Jack Steven in a few teams. 3300 points maximum allocated per game. In the overwhelming majority of games the winning side doesn't take more than 2000 points worth of that.

Danger
Duncan
Stewart
GAJ
Dollhouse
Jelwood
Menegola
Steven

That's a lot of quality to share points. Last year Jelwood and Menegola dropped their averages significantly. I understand Tim Kelly has gone but Steven won't take all his points given his exceptional quality. I'd suggest that will see Jelwood or Menegola pick up a bit more slack.

Jelwood to halfback, will impact Stewart.
Duncan injured, will be nursed back

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Isaac Heeney
1578173286208.png

Why should I pick him?
We have all been waiting for Heeney to break out to be a must have 100+ averaging premium for a while now and we all select him hoping that this will be the year that it finally happens and each year we have been disappointed. Well, During this off season there have been a couple of things that have started to indicate that it might finally happen. Here are a couple of them.

Buddy is Back! Over the past few seasons when Buddy has been struggling with fitness the Swans have had to play Heeney up forward, but we are hearing that Buddy is ripping up the track and raring to go (maybe a bit of editorial license there, but he is apparently fit). So this should then release Heeney to be able to play up the ground and hopefully more in the midfield and hence boost that average from the 90-92 region that it has been over the past three seasons.

Rebuild Time? The Swans missed the finals for the first time in a few seasons and they could be looking to make a few changes. We all know that John Longmire is notorious for not giving the younger blokes a go but surely Heeney doesn’t fall into that category anymore. With the likes of JPK and Parker not getting any younger in that midfield it should open the door for Heeney.

DPP Status. Now whilst the other reasons may not be strong enough to make him a must have, this should push you over the edge. This season we have seen a big drop in the players that have DDP Fwd/Mid status at the start of the game. If we have a look at those players that do have this eligibility this year we see that Heeney has the fourth best average from last season behind Whitfield (113.8), Dusty (97.1) and Walters (93.5). The players immediately below him on the list include Ziebell, Darcy MacPherson, Lipinski and Jack Martin. If I was looking for the cheaper DPP player that I know will score each and every week for me from that list it is Heeney. The only others I trust on that list are Whitfield and Dusty (Walters has burnt me way too many times in recent seasons).

On top of all that we know that he has that innate ability to get himself to 85+ even when he is sitting on 30 at 3/4 time. He just seems to find the footy in the last quarter and get his score to something respectable.

Back